• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

New member fom Oregon

PhilHoward

Freshman Member
Country flag
Hi, my name is Phil. I bought a 1977 Midget a few years ago and it has been taking up space in the garage. It didn't run at first, but with new ignition I was able to get it going. I believe the PO had left the key on and cooked it. My problem right now is the brakes. The weather is really nice and I would like to try and get it drivable! Looks like it has new master and rear brake cylinders. All the rubber hoses front and rear look atrocious. I tried bleeding the rears with a vacuum pump, but hardly got anything. The level in the master never moved! It didn't matter if I pumped brake peddle or used vacuum. Where should I start?
Thanks,
Phil

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
welcome Phil and glad you are here. After the introduction come over to the Spridget forum for more questions.

But to come to your question, don't even bother to try to bleed the brakes before you have replaced the hoses. They perish on the inside so act as one way valves. while you are at it, clean the splitter where the lines go to front and back.

good luck - you are close!

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Hi Phil (from Portland). Start with the safety issues first (hope there isn't crude in those lines). 😬