• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

New HP Laptop SSD

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
At least in my case, that option is simply not there. Loading the latest touchpad driver from HP didn't bring it back. I found a website that said to load a "precision" touchpad driver from Lenovo; which restored the option but it still doesn't seem to work.

I may try loading one of the older drivers from HP; I'll post back if I find a solution.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Using wife's Dell laptop, we have external speakers, mouse and separate BENQ keyboard. The touchpad also works concurrently. This laptop has virtually never run on battery power alone - maybe once or twice for a short time. If my desktop is finally dead - which is looking more likely by the day - I'm thinking about a SSD desktop. Might last longer?

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I dunno, I've not been very happy with this HP. Keyboard quit working, got that fixed under warranty, but didn't get it back until warranty expired. Touchscreen quit just a few months after that.

Getting the touchpad disabled when mouse attached has been quite a fight. Still not sure it's right, but manually loading an older HP supplied driver in place of the default PS/2 mouse driver seems to have done the trick.

But my next laptop won't be HP!

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I dunno, I've not been very happy with this HP. Keyboard quit working, got that fixed under warranty, but didn't get it back until warranty expired. Touchscreen quit just a few months after that.

Getting the touchpad disabled when mouse attached has been quite a fight. Still not sure it's right, but manually loading an older HP supplied driver in place of the default PS/2 mouse driver seems to have done the trick.

But my next laptop won't be HP!

I have the latest windows 10, I go to Settings, devices, touchpad then turn it on or off. I've also never had a computer as fast as this new SSD HP laptop! PJ

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Yeah, that's how it worked before. But after I did the clean install, the choice was gone. Loaded latest touchpad driver from HP, still no box. Loaded synoptics driver, that brought the choice back, but it didn't work.
Disabled touchpad entirely, still worked whether mouse attached or no. Deleted synoptics driver from hard drive, still can't turn off touchpad. Etc,etc. At one point, it would work as it should (disabled when mouse attached) only until the first hibernate/wake cycle!

Managed to delete the PS/2 port driver, without realizing that would also disable the keyboard. Oops! Tried to copy PS/2 driver from the old hard drive, but that didn't work either. SFC was apparently broken with the July update, it reported problems but refused to do anything about them. Found a series of commands that was supposed to fix SFC, didn't work.

Finally had to re-re-load Windoze, which turned the broken touchscreen back on (which keeps either mouse or touchpad from working). "Lately it occurs to me, what a long strange trip its been."

That put me back to the touchpad that wouldn't die, but it finally occurred to me to "update" the bad driver (which thought the touchpad was a PS/2 mouse) with the old touchpad driver from HP (which Windows said was not compatible).

That's probably obvious to everyone else, but ...