• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

New here wth a 67 Lotus Elan in LA

OP
MoPho

MoPho

Jedi Trainee
[ QUOTE ]
How the heck did your pal bring a Cappuccino into the USA?
(or should I not ask? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif )

[/ QUOTE ]

Friends in high places

JRTurbo909

Freshman Member
hey fellow Lotus owner....

i live in Santa Monica and drive an older Lotus as well. I have a 1979 Esprit S2. Let me know if you ever want to meet up. I know some Lotus people out here and we try to meet up as often as we can...

shah.selbe at gmail.com

resizeDSC03059.jpg

OP
MoPho

MoPho

Jedi Trainee
I think I have seen you on Elise talk?
Would love to get together, especially with some fellow classic Loti. I have only found one Elan owner the rest are Elises which are a dime a dozen here in LA.
I am in Hollywood.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
MoPho, a belated welcome! Glad to have another -real- Elan owner aboard. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

I've a friend in LA who ~sold~ his Elan a while back... it sat in disrepair for too long and he decided he didn't want it any longer. NOW he's kickin' himself. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

OP
MoPho

MoPho

Jedi Trainee
[ QUOTE ]
MoPho, a belated welcome! Glad to have another -real- Elan owner aboard. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

I've a friend in LA who ~sold~ his Elan a while back... it sat in disrepair for too long and he decided he didn't want it any longer. NOW he's kickin' himself. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the welcome /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

OP
MoPho

MoPho

Jedi Trainee
[ QUOTE ]
yeah sometimes i venture to elise talk but i spend most my time on the Esprit world forum (for obvious reasons). i know that we are planning a drive and photoshoot in the next few months so i will keep you updated as to the status. i think we are gonna concentrate on the older loti not to get overshadowed by the elise crowd.

shah

[/ QUOTE ]

I spend a bit of time on ET because the LA people are sociable and actually get together and do things (drives, dinners, etc) Also, my father has an Elise.
While a great resource, lotuselan.net is not very sociable and I have yet to find another LA Elan owner there ( I found one other owner through Elise talk)

So you know a few classic Lotus owners? Do they actually use their cars regularly?

Definitely let me know about the drive

FunElan

Freshman Member
[ QUOTE ]
yeah sometimes i venture to elise talk but i spend most my time on the Esprit world forum (for obvious reasons). i know that we are planning a drive and photoshoot in the next few months so i will keep you updated as to the status. i think we are gonna concentrate on the older loti not to get overshadowed by the elise crowd.

shah

[/ QUOTE ]

Shah, I believe we met at the Lotus of South Bay event in April. I was the young looking one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif. I think concentrating on older Loti is a great idea /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/iagree.gif. We (meaning my dad and I) are also the one other Elan owner mentioned by Mopho. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif

Wow, this forum has some awsome icons: /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nopity.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grouphug.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

JRTurbo909

Freshman Member
[ QUOTE ]

I spend a bit of time on ET because the LA people are sociable and actually get together and do things (drives, dinners, etc) Also, my father has an Elise.
While a great resource, lotuselan.net is not very sociable and I have yet to find another LA Elan owner there ( I found one other owner through Elise talk)

So you know a few classic Lotus owners? Do they actually use their cars regularly?

Definitely let me know about the drive

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah elisetalk it pretty friendly. but i do know quite a few older Lotus owners out here. unfortunately they arent as easy as the Elise guys to get gathered up for a meet. I will definately let you know bout the drive though. Hopefully we can get more elans out because I know i few esprit owners that want to come along...

[ QUOTE ]

Shah, I believe we met at the Lotus of South Bay event in April. I was the young looking one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif. I think concentrating on older Loti is a great idea /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/iagree.gif. We (meaning my dad and I) are also the one other Elan owner mentioned by Mopho. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I recall meeting you. It was a shame that my car crapped out the week before that meet. My esprit would have felt more at home around your father's elan and that europa that came. I would have also had the pleasure of being the only Giugiaro-design car there...

hopefully we can get a few guys together later this summer for a good turnout...

i hope to convince the Lotus 23 guys to come out as well...

Shah

OP
MoPho

MoPho

Jedi Trainee
I go out in the car practically every weekend and quite often during the week ( I am a freelancer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ) So any time...

TypeRboy

Jedi Warrior
Hey MoPho, welcome aboard! Very nice looking Elan. I bet that Supertrap gets everybody's attention.. We get out to California every now and then, and i'd love to own a convertible out there.. you lucky guy!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I've had my Elan since '71, always had a Stebro "dump tube" on it. Got that skinned off on an Interstate a while ago, now I haven't found a suitable replacement. Mebbe I should look into a Supertrap??

OP
MoPho

MoPho

Jedi Trainee
[ QUOTE ]
I've had my Elan since '71, always had a Stebro "dump tube" on it. Got that skinned off on an Interstate a while ago, now I haven't found a suitable replacement. Mebbe I should look into a Supertrap??

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't say I would recommend the Supertrapp. It sounds great but is obnoxiously loud, my ears ring after driving the car. I have also been told it is very restrictive but I don't know that for sure
At some point I plan to replace it with something else, not sure what that will be though

swift6

Yoda
I thought you could add disc's to quite them down, but the quieter they are the more restrictive they are.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

OP
MoPho

MoPho

Jedi Trainee
I have all the discs on it that were supplied to me (6 I think) and it still sets off car alarms. It's great when I am ripping up the canyons, but through town and on the highway it is too much IMO.
I am leaving it for now- loud pipes save lives! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

Super 7

Jedi Warrior
I beleive you remove discs to quiet and add to make less restriction. More discs = more exhaust exit space.

coldplugs

Darth Vader
Platinum
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
I beleive you remove discs to quiet and add to make less restriction. More discs = more exhaust exit space.

[/ QUOTE ]

Super7 is correct. More disks = more noise and less restriction. To quiet a Supertrapp down, you remove disks, not add them.

swift6

Yoda
I was pretty sure it was adjustable with disc's just not sure how. Now I do. Sweet. Another mystery solved. Just have never been bothered to find out before. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif