• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

New Happy Meal Prize

maynard

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
1626452451580.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Country flag
Read on a car forum that the number one complaint of Smart car owners is that they're not big enough to haul a load of groceries and 2 adults at the same time. Well, Duh.... You didn't notice the small size when you bought it??

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
I had a Smart for a few years. Made me start thinking up riddles. Two I remember at this point:

Q. What's the (optional) rack on a Smart Car for?
A. So you can carry it on a bicycle.

Q. Where do you buy a Smart Car?
A. You don't. You pick one out of the tire treads of a semi truck.

I'll stop there.

Popeye

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Like the trabi jokes from East Germany!

Q. How do you double the value of a Trabant?
A. Fill up the tank.

...etc.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Q: How do you double the horsepower of an MGA?
A: Make the passenger get out and push.

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Read on a car forum that the number one complaint of Smart car owners is that they're not big enough to haul a load of groceries and 2 adults at the same time. Well, Duh.... You didn't notice the small size when you bought it??
Looks like there is more room in a Bugeye Sprite.

Country flag
Problem it seems to me is a lot of Smart owners want to use them like a regular size car, hitting the freeways, hauling stuff and so on, and that's not what they were designed to be. My understanding is they wee supposed to be those interurban short distance type cars for those who didn't need to go far or have a family or lots of stuff to move about.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Plus,for their size,don't great fuel milage.

70herald

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Living in a crowded city with real parking problems I can understand exactly why someone would be tempted to buy one. There is almost always a space just large enough to slip a Smart into between parallel parked cars, and they are short enough that they can be parked perpendicular where cars are supposed to parallel park.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Parking between parallel parked cars seems like it could cause a few parking problems.

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
One of the best things about the Smart was its ability to fit into those parking spaces that were just a little too small for larger cars. We always seemed to find one of those easily. One disadvantage, which my wife discovered but I would not have anticipated--it fit nicely between the two traffic-light sensor loops in the street, so if you were not careful where you stopped, you could sit at a red light forever and it wouldn't change.

I never tried parking perpendicular to the curb in an area designed for parking parallel to it. I suspected that would get me a ticket.

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Sometimes a motorcycle won't trip the light sensors even if you're on them. Not enough steel. Also, bikes park perpendicular all the time.

OP
M

maynard

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
I hate it when you think you see a parking spot only to find a little car pulled in.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I had a classmate in HS who drove a little Crosley Hotshot. That happened to him a number of times. That car was probably lighter than the Smart.

Country flag
Back in the 70s when I was in High School we had a band teacher who was not you might say, popular with students. He drove a VW and had a tendency when parking in his garage to leave the door open. On night a group of guys I knew went over and by lifting the front end up managed to turn it sideways in the garage without being discovered. They literally had to use a truck to drag it out the next day as the then adults couldn't figure out how it was done.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Oh, the V-Dub pranks we'd pull. Slid one into a spot with a couple inches at each end, between a 'phone pole and a large oak tree. Sat one up on a pair of upside-down galvanized garbage cans. Always thought it'd be great to take one far enough apart to get it into an apartment and reassembled. Heard it was done but never tried it.

OP
M

maynard

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
In what seemed a good idea at the time, when I was a senior in college, some friends and I disassembled a bug and reassembled it on the third floor of the library (which was not used at the time). This was while the librarian was on duty.
Earlier, at a different school, we stood a bug in it's rear to take it to the 9th floor.

Today's college kids have no idea of what a good prank is.