• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

New Guy

DocDup1

Country flag
Hi Folks, I just joined the group today. I have a lot of experience with vintage Triumph and BSA motorcycles, but it has been a while since I had a British car. I am interested in all types of sports cars and I have restored a couple of Corvettes, a 65 small block coupe and a 67 big block convertible. A year ago I ventured over to the dark side and added a 2006 Porsche Cayman S to the garage. My daily driver is a 2000 MX5 Miata. The reason for joining this group is my recent purchase of a TR4A. It is titled as a 68 and it has a late production date. The car had been sitting for more than ten years and it has taken me a few weeks to get it up and running. Today, I took it out for the first drive. It was a slow drive because the tires are 34 years old and I am waiting on new ones along with a set of new wires. The car was completely restored in the late 1980's. Unfortunately, the prior owner got sick and ended up putting it in storage after driving it for just a few miles. It is a great project for me. Everything is nice and clean and fun to work on. I had to replace the entire brake system, both clutch cylinders and everything made out of rubber. The engine was overhauled during the restoration, but the transmission seems to have a bad syncro in second gear. It pops out of gear during deceleration. Other than that, it runs and drives great. I can't wait to get the new wheels and tires so that I can really enjoy the car.

Doc
IMG_0558.jpg
IMG_0553.jpg
IMG_0569.jpg

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Doc - welcome to BCF. That is a *great* looking TR! Congrats on your work to bring it back to life.

Popping out of second gear only when decelerating? I'm thinking broken 2nd gear "top hat" bushing. Take a look:

Good to have you with us.
Tom M.

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Hello DocDup1

Welcome to the forum.

Great looking TR4A.

+1 on the transmission diagnoses. My TR3A did the same thing so I got an OD transmission to replace it. Before I did the swop I just had to remember to hold the gear shift when down shifting.

David

OP
DocDup1

DocDup1

Country flag
Thanks for the replies. My transmission is an overdrive type and I have been experimenting with that. It seems to work great. There are a lot of other issues to deal with before this car is back on the road as it should be, but I have started asking around for someone who knows these transmissions. I have always done all of my own work, but transmissions may be beyond me. I always struggle with the motorcycle transmissions for some reason.

Doc

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Welcome to the BCF! To echo the other - man that is a nice looking example of a TR4A! Smart of you to keep the speed down until you get the new tires!