• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

New Gas Tank

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
My 20 year old aluminum tank had developed a small leak from stress crack so I opted to go with a new Moss steel tank rather than patch it again. Moss said they build their Classic Gold tank to be a perfect fit replacement with no problems with the fitting connections or size. I have to agree they did a great job of replicating not only the fit but the look of the original. I want to give credit to any company that spends the time and money to build parts for these cars and makes the effort to do it right. And at a price that was hard to believe. I think this tank will take me as far as I'm going in this car.

Attachments

• IMG_6393.JPG
    IMG_6393.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 113

Bob_Spidell

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Good deal; Moss really does try (even if they don't bat 1,000). The little guard over the pickup port is a nice touch, but will cost you at concours ;)

Did you seal it?

OP
Rob Glasgow

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Bob, Not sure what guard you are referring to. Maybe the spare tire hold down. I don’t really have a reason for keeping it installed since I don’t normally carry a spare. 😃

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
I also have a Moss tank, about 4 or 5 years old. Fit perfectly and no trouble. I carry a spare tire in the boot of my BJ7 without the use of the bar. It’s just not needed, that tire isn’t going anywhere. Of course I have a tool bag next to it. It can’t move.

Bob_Spidell

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
On closer inspection, it's box-shaped and appears to be a different type of fuel pickup. At least, it looks different than any I've seen (but I haven't looked at my tank in a while).

OP
Rob Glasgow

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
The box shaped item is the threaded fitting that goes from the fuel pickup tube to the gas line. You may be correct. It may be different from the original fitting. I replaced that tank 20 years ago so I don't remember what it looked like. It certainly is different from the shape of that fitting on the aluminum tank I just replaced.

pkmh

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I agree Rob. I, too, went with a Moss replacement some 9 years ago. Identical to what I had. But not sure about this guard item that Bob brings up, but I remember what I purchased was an exact match.

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
The box shaped item is the threaded fitting that goes from the fuel pickup tube to the gas line. You may be correct. It may be different from the original fitting. I replaced that tank 20 years ago so I don't remember what it looked like. It certainly is different from the shape of that fitting on the aluminum tank I just replaced.
The one on my tank is a bit smaller.

OP
Rob Glasgow

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
The reason I started this post was because I was so happy Moss made a tank that fit without issues. I’ve seen several posts where people had to find or make adaptors for the fittings on aftermarket tanks.

Just happy this was easy.