• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

New Forum for the Spridget!

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Jeff:

Thanks.....your explaination is definitive and correct (as usual).

....but I can't, for the life of me, understand why a previous poster has said, "Yous guys got this all wrong".

The "Mk.1" name for the original Sprite simply evolved as a convienent way of differentiating it from later cars. Like the term "Bugeye" and "Frogeye", it is unofficial, but is a clear method of clarifying which car one is speaking about. The fact is, this is "old news" for those of us with 30+ years of Sprite involvement.

We could have the same discussion about "XKE" vs. "E-Type", right? Geesh.....who cares?

Anyway, the well-respected, UK-based "Midget and Sprite Club" uses "Mk.1 Sprite" all the time, so I would assume it's accepted useage......and Tony B's book reference backs this up....that works for me:

https://www.mgcars.org.uk/midgetspriteclub/sprite/spritehistory.htm

franks97224

Freshman Member
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by aeronca65t:
[QB]

Tony:

My two front fenders are different, but it's no big deal to me (I hate to admit it, but these may not be the last two fenders I ever put on this car anyway)....
<hr></blockquote>

-------------
Oops...

My fenders are also different due to an original sprite, (bugeye, frogeye, or MkI) snap spinning in front of me on the last lap of a race a coupe of years ago. Fortunately I had a spare fender but it was from a later model.

Dave

dj1.jpg

[ 12-24-2003: Message edited by: franks97224 ]</p>

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Dave:

Great looking little Spridget-racer!
The different front parking light positions give it some "character" (that's what I say about my car, anyway). And it looks like a 1500 Midget front valence too.....great "mixing and matching"!
Are you running SCCA Club Racing as wall as vintage stuff?

Bugeye58

Yoda
Dave, nice looking car. Do you ever make any of the Vintage events at Thunderhill?
Nial,the 1500 front valence is interchangable with the early ones, and it offers the cutouts in the front to duct air to the oil cooler. Unfortunately, my air dam covers up that area completely, so I had to find an alternate spot for the air duct. (Right headlamp). The parking lamp area is an ideal place for brake ducting, if EMRA will allow you to do that.
Jeff

[ 12-26-2003: Message edited by: Bugeye58 ]</p>

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Bugeye58:
The parking lamp area is an ideal place for brake ducting, if EMRA will allow you to do that.
Jeff

[ 12-26-2003: Message edited by: Bugeye58 ]
<hr></blockquote>

Yes, brake ducting is allowed; I'm doing that as we speak. The fenders are off the car anyway. My car is still on the street (sort of, anyway) so I'll still need the parking lamps (I'm moving them to the grill).

franks97224

Freshman Member
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by aeronca65t:
Dave:

Are you running SCCA Club Racing as wall as vintage stuff?
<hr></blockquote>

In Oregon Region SCCA we run a vintage grid at every regional event. The vintage group has become one of the larger run groups in our region. You can find more information at the

Oregon Region Vintage Web Page

I had the opportunity to run Laguna Seca with San Francisco Region and at Thunderhill with CSRG this fall. It was a blast. Portland is fairly flat so the elevation changes at both tracks was exciting.

The facia was stock for 67 but I cut the larger holes for better cooling. I didn't know it was similar to the later models.

[ 12-26-2003: Message edited by: franks97224 ]</p>

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Biff:
Basil,

Thank You!! I know there are enough of us lurking around BCF to make this a useful forum. Now we don't have to scan two other forums to see if there are any 'spridget' related subjects that we spridgeteers can contribute too or ask questions.

<hr></blockquote>

Glad to do it, Biff et al... By the way Biff, that's a lovely "Ol Grey" you have posted in the members ride gallery! Is the milage really that low?

Basil