• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

New film scanner and OLD pix

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Circa 1978:

Cortina1.jpg

Cortina2.jpg

ElanCortina.jpg

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Very cool pics (y)

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Life before Florida. Mitsy drove the tin Lotus as her daily for years, even after the move. Wish I'd not let it go. :(

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Rough neighborhood? - Looks like someone stole your hubcaps.

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I hope you're kidding.That there's a Lotus Elan,
one of the best driving sports cars ever made.

anarchy99

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I honestly thought it was an Opel GT. Sorry I'm not as versed on every foreign car ever made. Opel has the same type of flip up headlights and a strikingly similar front end

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
The Elan is a fantastic car (though it has the weak-point of those rubber donuts). A friend, who still maintains his all original '69 Elan, changed out the donuts to modern CV joints from Australia.

The Ford Cortina (and equivalent variants) always struck me as amazing things... with much more ability than they appear.

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
The Cortina is an actual Lotus one. Herself was always puzzled that after being at a red light, when she took off and was clear of the intersection, all the cars that were stopped with her were so far behind her. The thing was amazingly quick. To say naught of the driver's right foot. :love:

anarchy99 said:
I honestly thought it was an Opel GT. Sorry I'm not as versed on every foreign car ever made. Opel has the same type of flip up headlights and a strikingly similar front end

No problem!

An Opel GT is an absolute shoat pig by comparison. Twice as heavy and much bigger. A nickname for the Elan the Brits liked to use was "twink." Or "Super Sprite." It weighs around 1500 pounds. Variations with engine builds can range from a stock 105 to over 200HP, depending on wallet depth. And there are a few good replacements for the rubber couplings on the IRS.

Last edited:
OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
This is another Forum member's Elan coupe. These are old photos, 1978 IIRC. The car has been with him ever since.
MBElan1.jpg

MBElan2.jpg

Not sure if that's my arm or another friend's. ;)

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

I didn't mean any disrespect.Too me,they don't look
alike at all.Of course,I had an Elan S1-1/2 years ago.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I used to own an Opel GT. It was a fun little car but an Elan it most certainly was not.