• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

New digs

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Tom, that looks like the perfect house for you. It's certainly from the same time period.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Are you still in CT?

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Walt: said:
Tom, that looks like the perfect house for you. It's certainly from the same time period.

Well, the house was built around 1750, but I was only a child back then.

Elliot: said:
Are you still in CT?

Yep - family arrived in this area around 1638, so I figured I'd better stay.

Seriously, the acres of woods, the old house, two storey heated workshop, "wine cellar", garden shed, rural location in northeast Connecticut, easier commuting to where I volunteer, distance from any busy roads - that's what hooked me. Lots of things to do - add another bathroom, replace some old windows, replace some clapboards, repoint some chimney bricks, also plant more fruit trees (apple, plum, peach, medlar, nectarine, apricot, cherry, pear, etc.). Fortunately some of my Sturbridge friends will be helping with the work.

Hope I live long enough to unpack all the boxes!

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
That is an incredible property / house!! It is one of those "if these walls could talk" homes - just imagine all the action the house has seen in the past 250+ years.

Congratulations - and all the best getting settled.

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Mike - thanks for the good wishes. As the house pre-dates the Revolution, would be interesting to know what side the owner was on before and during the conflict.

(Most New England farmers at the time couldn't care less; they just wanted to be left alone. At the same time, farmers' loyalties were changing frequently; troops were requisitioning food wherever they found it. Many British troops raided farms and took what they wanted; some American troops paid, but with nearly worthless currency.)

Country flag
Congratulations, and best of luck to you! I say this having spent 15 years restoring a 1798 house🤪
Larry

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
I have been representing two old ladies who are selling their 1750 "country home" in upstate CT. The sale just fell through. Too many repairs needed and contractors in short supply.

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Tom looks great and good luck and that new riding mower every kids dream. We never really had bad neighbors just stupid ones. Either drink my beer, cement work on my weekend off, call as if I had the only tools on the block. One even asked to get married in my back yard. My wife said yes 40 plus people we did not know in my house and yard. I guess I was the stupid one that time. We were in your state years ago being from Reno NV. you green and fall color was a great trip. Best of luck and stay safe. Madflyer

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
First night in the new house. Just went outside to watch some very light snow in the partial moonlight. Brilliant silver stars appearing between the thin clouds.

No bright lights, no highway noise, no screeching tires, no flaming mufflers, no revving pickups.

Only sound I heard was a Connecticut barred owl.

http://wildlifeofct.com/websitesounds/barred_owl.mp3

Definitely an improvement.
Tom M.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I'm sure you will sleep well tonight!

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
"who cooks for you, who cooks for you all".
Their mating season starts soon. He was advertising. Listen for Screech Owls and Great Horned also. They're surprisingly common in CT but seldom seen.

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
Congratulations!!! Hope no ghosts of the past made their appearances while you were sleeping :smile:.

Seriously, I hope your move went / is going smoothly, and you are not sleeping on air mattresses and eating with disposable plates and plastic cutlery for too long!

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Congratulations!!! Hope no ghosts of the past made their appearances while you were sleeping :smile:

Funny you should say that

achristmascarol-1938.jpg

and yes the house is so old it is still in Black and White! :grin:

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Tom,

Glad to hear that you put those problems behind you.
We had people that were in a rental across the alley from us.In the
three + years they lived there,we rarely had a moments peace.When
they moved out,I stood in the alley,talking to myself - "It's quiet -
there's no noise",& things like that.
Did you see the Northern Lights last night?