• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

New 5 speed conversion for 280i guys

Grady

Country flag
What became of all this - do you have a running 5 speed and will it just bolt up with no fabrication, cutting, & patching? Inquiring minds still want to know!

DeltaAir423

Jedi Trainee
Too bad I missed this post from earlier. I was going to tell you if you need any "new" Ford parts, one of my favorite places to go is https://www.partsgalaxy.com I can't count how many times they have saved my behind when I needed a part.

OP
Sparkie

Sparkie

The slave cylinder is the stock annular setup on the new Mustang T5 trans. My used tranny came with it attached so I will use it!

tr7andtvr

Jedi Hopeful
Is it a push type or a pull type? My v8 conversion is finished but I am having to "pump" into gears. Do you have anymore info on it? Make model?

Andy

OP
Sparkie

Sparkie

Andy,

Sorry to hear of your clutch probs. You may have an easier fix by changing the slave or master diameter. Larger on the master and/or smaller on the slave so less pedal yields more throw.

The annular slave on the Tremec is from a late model Mustang with V6, as I said, but a search of the web yielded no info on a factory stock setup. I did find an outfit that specializes on annular slaves, Dorman Clutch. Summit sells some of their stuff. They list a slave for a 2006 V6 Mustang, which would have the T5 - a late model of it; can't guarantee the bolt pattern is the same, but I would be surprised if they changed it. Or perhaps match the slave to the vehicle type that the tranny came out of.

I don't know if the stock one is a push or pull - I would assume a push but I have seen advertisements of similar looking units as both push and pull. I can tell you it mounts directly to the front snout ot the T5, just like this Dorman, with the integral throwout pointing forward and the hydrolic input toward the tranny.

I may have the same issue when I hook this up to the TVR master.... You may as well - and have to change the master even with this annular slave.

Here's a pic of the Dorman unit.

ScreenHunter_01Nov271111-1.gif

benebob

Freshman Member
Scotty,
Do you have an update on your 4.0 conversion? I just bought a non running 280i that you have my intrest peaked about converting to a 4.0 (though I'd love to do a newer stang 4.0 SOHC and 5 speed) as they seem cheap as dirt with sub 20k on the odo. Just saw one with 200 miles for $500 complete with engine, wiring harness, computer and an auto tranny (hence why I waited.

Ben

Genos2

Jedi Trainee
Thought I,d pass this along, camaro LS1 uses the similar slave setup& while I was working at a turbo shop(5 yrs) we did alot of these& GTO's& with alot of competition clutch setups they included a aluminum spacer that went behind the slave assembly(held in by the 2 mounting bolts) inorder for the clutch to disengage completely.It was 3/16-1/4 inch thick. Without it you had to pump the clutch to make it work fully.Also on these you had to follow OEM bleeding procedures. hope this helps cheers Genos2

Grady

Country flag
Another year later, another bump...

As I piece this long thread together:

Start with a 2005-2007 (or later) 4.0 V-6 & Tremac 5 speed

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Flywheel </span>6 bolt flywheel (Mustang or Ranger???)
<span style="text-decoration: underline">Starter</span> from a manual Mustang
<span style="text-decoration: underline">Clutch slave </span>- did the original Mustan one work?
<span style="text-decoration: underline">Drive shaft</span> Modification to the front end of the drive shaft

Did you guys ever finish this, take pictures, have a parts list??? Any help would be appreciated. Grady

birkline

Freshman Member
Country flag
After being told by several "experts" that Ford never mated the T5 trans to the V6 Cologne engine, I found this to be incorrect.

It turns out that all 2005 to present Mustangs have a base engine that's the 4.0L SOHC V6 and it's a Cologne engine!! It's a piece of crap engine (with the same small oil pump as our 2.8L), but the manual transmission is the Tremec T5!!!! There's also a 5 speed automatic available (there’s one in my town available with only 330 miles for $750).

I just checked the bellhousing bolt pattern this morning at my local dismantlers hub and it is verified - the SOHC in the Mustang is a match to the plentiful 4.0L OHV engines in most Rangers (and several other vehicles) – as well as our stock 2.8L.

My transmission with bellhousing cost $750 and had only 19K miles on it. Full speed ahead with the 4.0 swap and now it will have a bulletproof 5 speed!
When I sold my 280i coupe back last Jan, I enclosed that bellhousing in the sale.