• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Never been in a Concours - what do I need to do ?

bighealeysource

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Hey fellow Healey nuts,
Been invited to show my 100M in this years Hilton Head Concours on November 4th. Excited and know I will probably be up against some perfect Healey's as this year the Concours is also celebrating the 60th Anniversary of our beloved marque. When they asked which truckline would be delivering my car I told them me, since I will be driving it over that morning !!! So,how best to prepare ? Any suggestions as to what to expect since I have never participated in a judged show, always car shows where the participants or viewers vote. Detailing everything as best I can but like many of us, I have some modern updates like spin oil filter, gear reduction starter,larger core radiator and a Texas Cooler fan along with some bits and pieces that are polished versus original, otherwise she's as she left the works. Just glad to have been invited but any suggestions will be appreciated !
Thanks,
Mike

D

Deleted member 8987

Not sure how the Healey folks do it, but in Jag and early Ford circles, you're gonna be dinged points on anything that isn't just as it left the factory. On Jags of my vintage, there are aluminium tags on some things with art numbers, held on with twisted wire...that have to be there.
Reason they asked you about trucking companies.....most Championship Concours are trailer queens, kept garaged, and clean.
You drive it, you'd better be prepared to be exhausted with cleaning. Undercarriage, spokes, door seals.......hopefully they aren't as strict as some marques!
Have fun!
And get the bugs off the headlamps!

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Mike,

You should be able to get the rules from the judging committee in advance. Generally, they will look for fit, finish and out-of-period mods. If one of your judges happens to be a Healey expert, judging will likely be a little more strict. Changing out the upgrades for the correct pieces wouldn't hurt. Cleanliness is important, too. Break out the Q-tips. Here's an article by the same chief judge who will be at Hilton Head:

"By John Carlson, Chief Judge, Louisville Concours d'Elegance

Learning how to judge a car is a life long journey. It takes a keen eye and many hours of judging experience to acquire the necessary skills to become a good judge. Diplomacy is also a key ingredient. In judging circles it is often referred to as "field manner." The Louisville Concours d'Elegance values its participants and views them as the most important ingredient on the show field.

The judges at the Louisville Concours will be looking for authenticity and quality workmanship in each area of the vehicle. They will deduct points for the areas that are not authentic. They will also be judging the proper fit and finish of the vehicle components. Each vehicle will be started by the owner or handler and the lights and gauges etc. will be checked for functionality. The judges will use a 100 point deduction system which is divided into categories that include body and paint finish, bright work, engine compartment detail, upholstery, chassis finish, window glass, etc. Each area will be examined for the correct components as well as the proper installation and finish.

The question is often asked, "Can a judge know everything about a particular Marque?" The answer is yes if that Marque has been their particular interest and passion. Unfortunately, it is nearly impossible for the judges to know everything about many Marques; however, they certainly know what is appropriate for various time frames. As an example, they know that electric cooling fans were not used in early 'Antique' cars. They know that electrician's tape and plastic zap straps were not used. They know that certain nuts and bolts and other fasteners were used in very specific time frames. Judges know what is incorrect for specific manufacturing eras.

The selection of the winners in each class is determined by how accurate and well presented each vehicle is. When the judging process has been concluded, each judge will have a discretionary additional five points to add to their final score. These points may be added to the vehicles final score based on the judge's interpretation of Elegance or the Presence of the vehicle.

The class winners will be determined by the average of the overall scores and will be awarded first, second and third places. Only class winners will be eligible for the Best of Show Award."

It's quite an honor to be chosen, enjoy the day.

And remember, as Cosmo Kramer told Miss Rhode Island, "Poise Counts!"

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Mike, congratulations for being asked to participate in a concours event.

I've entered mine in 3 events, took first at the San Francisco concours d'elegance, and 2nd at a couple others. They place you in a group of cars where the cost of the car new is about the same. I was in the $5000 and under group.

Three judges with clip boards will introduce themselves, ask if you are the owner and if you're ready to be judged. One judge will look at the interior, other two will look at the exterior.

They will ask you to start the car, turn on the headlights, low and high beams, check the directionals, horn, back up light if the car has one. They will ask you question if they think something is wrong. Like we notice you have a spin on oil filter. Is that original? You will reply, no it is not. Simple as that. No explanation needed why you did it. They may listen to your story, but it will not change anything. They are judging you on being original, fit and finish.

Example, all cars were judged with the convertible top up. If the top is down, they ask you to put it up. If you say you can't, point(s) taken away. They will look at fit and finish of how well the top is, how scratched the back window is, etc. Then, they will ask to to put it down so you'll be judged on how well it stows away too.

There is a list that they will go through and check off things that are not correct or missing. Example, spokes are chrome, should be silver. Points taken away. Don't have the correct tool kit, point taken away.

Make sure everything is really really clean. Once you are on the field, it does not matter if you're a trailer queen or a daily driver. They consider all cars equal, for you're being judged as if you are the best of the best.

What do they look for besides parts and panel fit? How well did you detail the car? They looked up in all the wheel well to see how clean the wheel wells were. Get a tooth brush and clean the grass out of the tire tread too. If it come down to two cars that have a tied score, they may give it to the guy who's car is detailed the best. Who says OCD is overrated.

PS. Make sure you bring a fire extinguisher. The shows that I have been in say, if you don't have one, you're not allowed to show the car. You just need to have one with you. Story goes, that at one show, someones car caught on fire and the car next to then caught on fire. So now everyone is suppose to have one with them at the show. Makes sense.

Good luck and enjoy.

AHBN1

Country flag
Hi Mike,
Congratulations on the invite. We had our BN1 invited to Meadowbrook several years ago (1991 I think) and as I recall the judging was less about the minute details of the car as it was about the overall appearance and condition. There was no crawling underneith or checking for color match. You may wish to check with the judging committee to see what they look for. Like you we drove our car from Toronto to Meadowbrook for the show and I have a blue ribbon and bronze statue to show for the efforts.
Good Luck and enjoy the rest of the field. Having access to the other cars is the best part of the show!
Dave

Country flag
I used the fire extinguisher to "chock" one of the front wheels, as do most entrants__seems to be a right of passage!

Do the best you can, but by all means, go there to have fun and enjoy yourselve. YOur car is what it is, and you'll do what you can to make what you have look as good as it can.

Don't be too stressed out that you can't enjoy the people that admire your car just the way it sits (it's not required for you to point out what YOU feel are glaring faults to them). Don't be too stressed out that you can't enjoy looking at the rest of the cars on the field either.

Like yourself, I showed my car for the first time at an "invitational only" event last summer; The Eyes on Design event held at Fairlane, the Edsel & Eleanor Ford Estate just outside of Detroit. I felt very honored and privileged just to be there (as it turned out, I might've receieved an award had my front tires not extended past the fenders; live and learn).

If as you say, there'll be some top level Healeys there, look at their cars to see what makes them better than yours. Some guys spend half their lives trying to reach that Pebble Beach class winning condition, so don't try to kill yourself in an attempt to acheive the same thing in a matter of a few weeks.

Congratulations on being invited, and have some fun!

IMG_1510.jpg

MarshgrassA

Jedi Trainee
Mike,
I am showing my TR4A at the Hilton Head Car Club Jamboree on Sat. and when asked if I needed trailer space about had a heart attack! Was not sure what I got myself into.
I know how nice your car looks and I bet you enjoy it a lot more than any "trailer queens" are enjoyed..... not that there is anything wrong with perfect cars.

Cheers and hope to see you there,
Irene

OP
bighealeysource

bighealeysource

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Hey all,
THANKS very much for the advice and suggestions about what I am getting myself into it next month ! Will try to find out about the judging and as I mentioned earlier, already in "detailing mode". Not expecting to win anything but excited my Healey merited an invite and plan on enjoying it all. Will also be there for the Car Club Jamboree on Saturday and know a group of fellow Healey Club members are coming down for that so look forward to meeting all of them. I'll let everyone know how it goes and plan on posting some pics of the Healey's from both days.

Many thanks,
Mike

PS - Hey Irene,see you also at British Car Day show in Charleston on 10/27 !

OP
bighealeysource

bighealeysource

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Hey all,
The past weekend at the Hilton Head Concours was a blur ! Since I drove my Healey to the event both days, had to leave my house about 6:30 am to be there on time to get onto the show field in the right spot and on time. Didn't get back until about 5:30 Saturday and Sunday. But all worth it. Not tooting my own horn, well actually guess I am but not bragging, only proud on how well the ole gal did up against a bunch of other Healey's. Healey was one of the featured marques this year due to it being the 60th anniversary along with MGB's 50th and Cobra's 50th. So more Healey's than typical for this Concours weekend.

Saturday was the Car Club Jamboree with about a dozen southeastern car clubs invited. Had 192 cars for this day. About two dozen Healey's maybe, didn't actually count, but a bunch. I managed to win "Best Austin Healey" that day, very surprised and obviously thrilled. Happened to be the only 100M and just a few 100-4's but some very nice cars on the field.

Sunday was the actual Concours and Healey was broken down into two classes; 1952 to 1959 and 1960 to 1967. Had six in my class and about same number in other class. Very pleased to say I took second place in my class!!! Lost 'Best of Class' to a magnificent 100S so happy to come in second to that Healey. First time I had seen one in person so neat being parked next to it all day. I took some pics of most of the cars and will try to get them posted.

Judging was interesting and very non intimidating which was great for a Concours newbie. Two judges did my class and two others did the other class. Not sure if they compared notes. Rudy Streng, the 100-6 Registry guru, was one of the judges and great to meet him as have e-mailed several times when I had a BN6. Nice guy along with his fellow judge, Dave. As you all had mentioned, had to start her up, make sure everything worked, partially unfolded the top as was under a tonneau, looked at my never used, new side curtains, checked it out all over, asked some questions. Got nicked for not having a matching spare but was expecting that - maybe I should pick up one more new Nexen. Not sure if points were totally up but happy with the results!

Still smiling,
Mike

Brinkerhoff

Jedi Knight
As long as you don't feel like blowin' yer brains out, then your first concours was a success ! Regardless of how well you placed, it takes so much time to prepare a Healey for serious competition in concours you are to be congratulated! They are very difficult to get right while maintaining sanity...

Country flag
Congratulations, Mike! When I first read your post about being invited to Hilton, all I could think of was all of the never driven, trailered around competitors you'd be up against. Was great to hear how you did! What makes it even more impressive is you driving it from Beaufort to Hilton Head and keeping it clean! I'm really familiar with where you are, we used to rent one of the homes (when they were still there) over on Hunting Island twice a year. Even got married there five years ago! But we never brought the 100-6 down that far. Again, congratulation! Next stop, Pebble Beach!!!

Larry

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
I do have a couple of suggestions as well; You will be asked to put on the side curtains so have them ready, if you don't have any borrow from another car club member. Also they'll want to look in the boot for the proper tool kit, again borrow some before you go. Points will be taken off for chrome wire wheels and the incorrect spoke count, yours should be 48 spoke painted. These are easy things to take care of before you go.

Good luck and let us know how you did!! :winner1:

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Nice job Mike! I've always thought going the concours route was really a waste of time if you every planned to enjoy what a Healey was designed for.......to drive .

Glad to hear you did just that, way to represent the true car-guy/car-driver.

Country flag
Good Job Mike!

I'm glad that you enjoyed yourself, got to study a Sebring model up close, and took home a couple of awards to boot!

Sounds like you represented us all very well :cheers:

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Congrats Mike!

We take pride in our rides and being judged in a prestigious car show can make us a little nervous. And that's one of the fun things about being in a concours show. Different feeling than one gets at the local car show held on a parking lot, field or lined up on main street. Very few owners actually drive their concours quality cars regularly and it sounds like you do. Good for you Mike!

judow

Darth Vader - R.I.P
Congratulations Mike! While you did very, very well I was more than pleased that your "M" is a driver!!! If you can't guess or don't already know my "M", Agatha, is all about driving. While it is nice to get accolades, it it's even nicer to have a stranger come up to you and just start talking about your Healey and the memory it causes them to enjoy all over again.

I am so proud of you!!!

P.S. Can you post some photos? You know we all love to drool...

OP
bighealeysource

bighealeysource

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Hey y'all,
Thanks for all the kind words everyone ! Still have a big smile on my face from this past weekend. Now just trying to figure out how to post some pics of all the Healey's displayed. Asked Basil and waiting to hear back from him but if anyone can offer some suggestions on an easy way to do it let me know !
Many thanks,
Mike

found the "how to post pictures" tutorial but all my pictures are in the 2.61+ MB size so how do I make them smaller to fit the max size ? ( I know, I should know how but spent too much time with my head buried in cars all these years !)

Keith_M

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I think you will need some sort of photo or image editing software. I do it in photoshop. Click on "image size" and reduce the number of pixels until the file size gets low enough.

Other in the forum may know of other (cheaper) programs that will do the same thing.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
bighealeysource said:
found the "how to post pictures" tutorial but all my pictures are in the 2.61+ MB size so how do I make them smaller to fit the max size ? ( I know, I should know how but spent too much time with my head buried in cars all these years !)

Mike,

I use www.photobucket.com It's free. You can upload your pics there and edit your photo size there.