• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Wedge Need TR8 Seat width dimension

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Can anyone with a TR8 measure the width across the widest part of the two seats? What I mean is how wide are they combined across the width of the interior from end to end?

I have a roll bar that I want to make sure will fit on the outside of the seats before I have it painted. If the total seat width will fit inside the verticals of the bar, I'm in good shape.

:thankyousign:

EDIT: For the record, I'm not too lazy to walk out to the garage. My car is in storage and not readily accessible.

tr8todd

Jedi Knight
Any roll bar for a wedge has to sit behind the seat. It then angles inward as it travels up to clear the folding top and the plastic cover that is just behind your shoulder. It's a really complicated bend. I have a couple of those made by Kirk for the TR8 sitting next to my garage. If you want one, you can have it. Even though they are made for the TR8, they still fit poorly, and limit seat travel. Chances of a random bar fitting into that narrow window of acceptability is almost nill. If you want a really nice custom one that will fit, I can make you one. Since they not only mount to the floor, but also to the rear deck, you will have to modify your top cover to clear the rear facing down tubes. The last one I made, mounts to the floor, the rear deck and also the pillars on the side just aft of the door. Really stiffened up the car.

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
This may stay in my garage for a while. Todd I will have to think about doing all of that. This is the roll bar that Mickey had bought and sent along with the car. I was told that the issue could be at the bottom of the seats, more so than at the top. I knew it angled in there, because of the shape of this one.

I would still like to see just how wide they are to measure against this one, if for no other reason that I want summer to come so I can drive the 6 or the 8 again.... :cryin:

Attachments

• 24372.jpg
    24372.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 165
  • 24373.jpg
    24373.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 164
  • 24374.jpg
    24374.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 166
  • 24375.jpg
    24375.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 171

tr8todd

Jedi Knight
Max width at the bottom is 52". Max width 21" up from the floor is 45"(slightly more if you do away with the plastic cover). Height is about 38" depending on the angle of layback. I have never seen an autopower bar for a wedge. It would be interesting to see if it fits better than the Kirk bars. The new improved Kirk bars fit better than do the older style. The two I have belonged to friends that were both about 6'2" and couldn't get the seat back far enough for their comfort. In both cases I removed the kirk bars and bent up new ones that landed on the same mounting holes, but allowed more seat travel.

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Thanks guys. Todd, I'm 6' and I actually feel more comfortable driving with the seat up a few notches than all of the way back.

tr8todd

Jedi Knight
Test fit the bar you have when you get your car back. If it fits well enough for your taste, then go for it. Remember to use backing plates and grade 5 or better bolts to secure the feet. If you want, I can weld a cross bar into the hoop for you. SCCA hoops will have a diagonal, but for street use, I like a straight across horizontal bar just above the seat back and below the head rest. This helps stiffen it up a bit and also provides a good place to mount four point seat belts if you want to do a little autocrossing with the car.

Attachments

• 24382.jpg
    24382.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 114
OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
I might want to do that section, prior to painting, of course. Thanks for the photo. I took the seats out for new padding under the new upholstery and I should have done it then, but the trim shop did for me in two days and I just wanted to play with it then.

When A&E put the roll bar in my TR6 after painting it, they put plates under every pad. Can you get at the ones on top?

tr8todd

Jedi Knight
The pre fabbed ones should come with small plates to go under the car. The feet that mount to the floor are difficult as the bottom plate and bolts are hard to locate and attach under the car, because of the floor contour. The ones that mount up on the rear deck usually end up somewhere above the rear tires. I have seen many an install where the bottom plates were left out and only the bolts were installed. Kind of defeats the purpose of a roll bar if the bolts rip through the floor in an accident don't you think.

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Yes, it does. One way or the other, this would have plates, IF it goes in.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
In case your interested Paul.
GRID007422.jpg

There on Rimmers sale right now
I don't think you are ,just thought I'd throw that out there