• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Need to ship the Midget and store it in SC...Help!

mightymidget

Jedi Knight
I am two hours north of Charleston.
Conway SC 29526
the store I work at has a big new warehouse that I am sure he would store "no resposibilty taken for car" for $25.00 a month. I have my fox mustang in there someone purchased from me until they pick up

Healeysince59

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I've used FedEx/Passport and they were fine. I've also used Hog Haulers out of Portland. They were great and have good equipment. They started out hauling motorcycles, hence the name. Also, they have a real/knowledgeable person that answers the phone.

Marv J

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I recently shipped a BMW motorcycle that I bought in Tennessee back to Utah through a shipper I found on uship.com. They're a site (not unlike eBay, who now owns them) where you put up what you have to be shipped, and various folks will bid on it. The shippers all have feedback ratings so you can get a feel for how they do.

The guy I used was a one man shop (truck and enclosed trailer), with a great price and solid service. Bike arrived on time and undamaged. Can't say more than that.

toysrrus

Yoda
Howdy Edward,

You May or May Not (?) be int. in storing your car in my garage. I live in "Pickens, SC" 29671. Its about a 3 to 3-1/2hr. drive. If int. please PM or Email myself at: toysrrus@att.net.

Best Wishes,

Russ

My buddy, bought a 63 Midget in Tuscon, AZ off Ebay and needed it shipped back to SC, he used one of the sites like jack mentioned, where they bid on your job, they lit his phone up for week, he stteld on a guy who brought here in three days for $600 or so dollars, it was a outside 3 car hauler, but they did a good job getting it here and he was very pleased with them.

G

Hap Waldrop said:
brought here in three days for $600 or so dollars, it was a outside 3 car hauler, but they did a good job getting it here and he was very pleased with them.

That's a deal. It cost me either $900 or $1100 ( can't remeber) to get the Super Bee from VA to here.

Gundy

Luke Skywalker
When you talk to a shipper get references. I had my Sprite shipped from Cali to S.C.
Got the enclosed hauler from Uship.com
BIG MISTAKE was not getting references. He had my baby in a trailer for a MONTH.
I wound up using another hauler to get it from him.
Wound up costing $1700.
Second guy had references and a cell phone number to stay in touch with driver. Couldn't have been more pleased with the second hauler. He provided references and they were all satisfied.
Beware. I've since found others with similar horror stories.

Go_Dogs_Go

I discovered the industry takes your order and then posts it on a web of some sort and the drivers bid on the job. You'll usualy end up paying the people claiming to be movers a fee up front and they keep that. Then the driver gets money upon delivery and I guess he keeps that. Be careful because the people taking your order will tell you it will only cost $300 (as an example) and post the order on their network. The drivers may or may not be interested because of the price and their routes. Your car might be stuck somewhere while the driver tries to pick up higher paying jobs that go your direction.

I ended up paying a little extra to actually get the car delivered rather than have the guy try to optimize his load and route at the expense of my time. Like everyone here said, references, references, references. My neighbor waited 4 weeks for his Porche 357 to get delivered from Florida because the company told him it would only cost $500. The driver had little motivation to finish the trip and picked up higher paying work after picking up my frineds car. My friend had to pay more to get the guy pointed this direction.

OP
lbc_newbie

lbc_newbie

Jedi Warrior
I'm doing the UShip thing and getting bids around $1500-1750. I'd like to be in the $1000-1100 range. I don't care if it's open or closed and there is no hurry to get the car there, so I have some flexibility. As of now, I have a place in SC to store it (thanks, Russ) so I'm just trying to get the price to where I need it.

On another note.....Anyone ever buy one of these (ebay item #170532932899)? I need something to cover the Midget with for transport. Are these road worthy, or just something to cover them in the garage?

And what's the freakin' deal with the $700 ones (ebay item #180540358139)?!?! I can get the car painted for less than that.....

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
As was said on the list- DON'T cover it! The flapping cover will eat all of your paint off long before it gets to SC. Put the top up and wax it.
BillM

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Cover the front with liquid soap, real heavy.

mightymidget

Jedi Knight
If it still bothers you that it will be in the elements, in the past I have deliveried cars on 800 mile trips and I want them to arrive clean and bug free so cars will look good for buyers that haven't actually seen cars yet.

I go down to Lowes or Home Depot and buy 3'x50' rolls of carpet protector.
It is a clear film with a releasable adhesive.

I cover the front of car with this stuff and when I get to the town of delivery I pull it off and car is fresh.

Don't know how it would do exposed to sun for a lenghty time. I usually only had it on for 3-5 days at a time

rain doesn't affect it

bugimike

Yoda
Failing any kind of protective cover, a local secret for quick and painless removal of bug-buildup and road dirt is to keep water running on the finish and while rinsing, wipe off road-dirt and bugs with Bounce fabric-softener "wipes". It is really amazing how well this works!! (we have a real problem down here with bug-spattering the whole front of vehicles when traversing the state and this was always a major chore until this discovery!). :wink: :thumbsup:

toysrrus

Yoda
lbc_newbie said:
I'm doing the UShip thing and getting bids around $1500-1750. I'd like to be in the $1000-1100 range. I don't care if it's open or closed and there is no hurry to get the car there, so I have some flexibility. As of now, I have a place in SC to store it (thanks, Russ) so I'm just trying to get the price to where I need it.

On another note.....Anyone ever buy one of these (ebay item #170532932899)? I need something to cover the Midget with for transport. Are these road worthy, or just something to cover them in the garage?

And what's the freakin' deal with the $700 ones (ebay item #180540358139)?!?! I can get the car painted for less than that.....

Howdy Edward,

Here`s the info. for the car hauler that Hap is referring to. I was physically there when they delv. our friends Midget. Its actually a 6+ car hauler (Big Sucker) & He`s based out of Calif. The cost from AZ to SC was $750.00. Here`s the contact info:

Name: AM Autotransport
Driver: Amir
Cell: 818-921-2033
Fax: 818-996-9232

Have Fun & See Y`All Soon,

Russ

toysrrus

Yoda
Hi There Edward,

I was just thinking about yourself & your move down to SC. Whats the latest in transporting your car & your physical move?

Regards, Russ

RichBall

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Ed is currently in SC with his wife on a 9 day house hunting expedition. they will return here to the Northwest next Sunday and then head to SC for good on the 10th. I haven't heard what he settled on for transport though.

I don't know if he'll have access to BCF while he's gone so figured I pipe in here.

Rich Ball
'76 Midget
Everett, WA