• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Need to ship parts car WV to VA, any suggestions?

triherald

Hi all, Looking to ship parts car, roller, no engine from WV to virginia sometime in the next couple of months.. does anyone know of anyone that can do that? or trailer rental.. Uhaul only has the front wheel dollies...

Thanks in advance

Jack
jrr5a@virginia.edu

jsneddon

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Re: Need to ship parts car WV to VA, any suggestio

Huh? since when? I rented a flatbed from Uhaul a couple of years ago. Catch is you have to rent a truck from them too.

Don't speak to the 1800-Uhaul clowns - they have no clue what is happening on the ground. Find a real dealer and speak to them in person. The call center will sell you what ever you want to hear and chances are very good that when you go to pick up the equipment it won't be there.

I also rented a flatbed from Budget a few years back - it was a full bed trailer instead of the rails that Uhaul rents (but a TR3 will fit just barely on the Uhaul rails).

PeterK

Yoda

U-Haul will rent you a full car hauler if you have a full-size pickup truck with a frame hitch. It's $50/day for a local rental; local means anywhere you can drive it and get it back to the place you rented it from within 24 hours.

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag

I agree with Jim on the TR3 width. I hauled my TR4 project on their car hauler, it fit but was pretty close. A TR3 being about 3 inches narrower will make it pretty tight.

I've attached a pretty lousy picture showing my project car on the trailer (sidepoint: that's the original owner saying goodbye, he was at Coventry when they rolled it off the assembly line). The car was centered on the trailer, so from the tire you can see there wasn't much ramp left.

I reserved the hauler on the internet, but as they don't list Triumphs I called it an MGB, no problem with the rental, but I don't know if the car will ever get over the insult!

Randy

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag

Oops, still can't handle adding a picture

Attachments

• 202416-64TR4.jpg
    202416-64TR4.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 69

71tr

Jedi Warrior

i've rented a trailer from budget and/or penske in the past but they too required me to rent their truck. I used it to transport a TR6 with no problem.

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker

Hi Jack,

You might check for local, non-national rental places, too, if you are considering trailering it yourself. There's one near me that has all sorts of trailers and most are $25-35 a day, plus no hassles about having to rent a truck from them, etc. Your local phone book would be a good place to start.

If you don't want to haul it yourself, or don't have a tow vehicle (or friend with a tow vehicle who can be bribed with pizza and beer), you might be able to arrange someone to haul it for you. Check with local used car dealers and wrecking yards, and any car clubs in the area.

When I moved my TR4 from Colorado to California 5-6 years ago, I was lucky to find someone who was already heading to Calif. to pick up a car and they were quite happy to put a car on the trailer for the trip out as well. I paid little more than enough to cover the price of their gas one way. It was a win/win situation for everyone.

Car dealers and wrecking yards sometimes haul a lot of cars around and might have a service they use, or own car haulers themselves. Particularly for a short distance like you need, if they have a space, they might be more than happy to fill it for a modest cost, since it lowers the cost for everyone.

This can be a cheaper way to move a car, than the big professional car transporters. Think of it as the difference between taking fancy cruise on an ocean liner or getting a cabin on a cargo vessel.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

vettedog72

Jedi Knight
UHaul has a trailer called "Auto Transporter". It is a 4-wheel trailer designed with car hauling in mind with features such as the left hand fender that will fold down so the hauled car driver door can clear to open (maybe). My TR6 fit close to the inside edges of the ramps but it completely fit without concerns. I would get measurements from UHaul before I counted on using the transporter for the TR3 just to make sure it fits. The transporter has enough steel in the front that a come along can rig easily to allow you to pull the car onto the transporter. You do need some kind of heavy pickup to qualify with UHAUL as a tow truck. Again, UHAUL will tell you the spec's. If you return the transporter to the spot you rented it, the cost per day is around $60.

AggieCPA

I just hauled a Tr3 on a U-haul trailer a couple months ago. It was a piece of cake. I couldn't tell when the car was loaded - those trailers are pretty heavy.

Another option is to look at www.uship.com. You might get someone to do it for you for less then it would cost to do it yourself.