• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Need muffler recommendation

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I am obviously getting old--the exhaust on my 100 Lemans is just too loud, something I thought I would never say!

I just got through installing a new Jensen MSR2007 AM/FM radio complete with Sirius Radio receiver and Ipod input. It has adequate power--15 watts per channel and 4 good speakers yet I simply cannot enjoy the music over the exhaust unless I turn the volume WAY up, and even still the exhaust is still very obtrusive.

I have the Denis Welch tubular header/exhaust system which is 2" in diameter and wonder if anyone knows of a good muffler which will mate up to a 2" exhaust pipe. I am willing to sacrifice a little performance for being able to hear the music! The exhaust system has been on the car since about 2002 so perhaps it has deteriorated slowly over the years. It also has its share of scrapes, etc. along the bottom so I don't feel it owes me much.

Any recommendations appreciated.

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
Yes Michael, I can sympathize with you. After awhile the loud exhaust is just to much with or without a radio. You might try just taking your car to a local muffler shop and explain to them what you're hoping to achieve. You might be surprised what they can do. They love the challenge of fabricating an exhaust system and know how to completely seal an exhaust system. Might be able to save a few bucks too. I'm assuming you have the single tailpipe out the back? I wouldn't suggest doing this with most other Healeys with the lovely twin exhaust.

Legal Bill

Jedi Knight
Country flag
First, let's talk about what you have now. I'm not familiar with the Welch muffler. I assume it is a "straight thru" pipe running through the canister? They are the loudest. The typical muffler will have a cut and offset inlet and outlet, but those reduce performance. Some modern mufflers compromise between the straight pipe and the cut pipe by winding the pipe inside the muffler, giving the effect of a much longer muffler body.How long is the muffler body on you system? Muffler length is critical whey the system is a flow thru.

2" is a very common inlet size, Michael. I recommend getting a catalogue from a speed shop that shows all the different mufflers available and find one that will fit in the space provided with the correct offsets on the inlet and outlet pipe. Fortunately, due to the popularity of four banger japanese car modification, there is a wealth of mufflers available.

Also, what does the tail pipe outlet look like? If the opening is pointing up it can increase the noise.

The common solutions are the following:

Attach a simple downward bent pipe to the end of the system.

Install a longer muffler body.

Install a second canister to act as a resonator.

Install a different style of muffler with the cut and offset pipe.

Install a baffle in the tail pipe. I've done this on a couple of occasions. You will lose some power, but it can be removed quickly and then you are back to full power. This is easy to do. Get a short (4 or five inch) reducer pipe at the auto parts store with the same outside diameter on the big end as the inside diameter of your tail pipe. The small end of the reducer should be an 1/8 to 1/4 inch smaller than the big end. Stick the reducer into your tailpipe small end first. The big end should be a sliding fit against the ID of the tail pipe. Push it in flush. Now drill a hole up from the bottom of the tail pipe. Locate it about 1/2 inch in from the edge of the pipe. Drill right through both the tail pipe and the reducer and install a small nut and bolt in the hole. You have now reduced the outlet diameter and the sound will also be reduced. While this will reduce top end power, you may feel an increase in bottom end torque.

Country flag
The easiest and most effective way to reduce the noise, will be swapping back to the cast-iron exhaust manifold from your tube header. You will probably find that you can now live with the existing muffler just fine.

All things being equal, changing only the cast iron manifold for tube headers has certainly increased the exhaust noise whenever I've made the switch on MGBs and 6-cylinder Healeys.

If you still have your original manifold, try that first, and I think you'll be surprised at how effectively it dampens the explosions.

Just one man's opinion...

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Michael Oritt said:
It has adequate power--15 watts per channel and 4 good speakers yet I simply cannot enjoy the music over the exhaust
Hi Michael,
Personally, I don't think 15 watts is enough to overcome just the road noise, let alone an exhaust note. I know you're not looking for more volume anywhere, just saying you may not be happy with the radio no matter what muffler you get. I've always been partial to Magnaflow mufflers. I have a pair of their 3½" round stainless. They're the straight-thru design Bill was referring to. They do make some 3 chamber ones which should be much quieter, but they have an offset which might not line up with your existing pipes without some modding. Here's a link to the Magnaflow site. They have some sound bites though I didn't see an example like our cars.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Michael,

If you decide to change your muffler, pay careful attention to the height of whatever replacement muffler you choose, Finding a muffler with the correct length and width with a proper size inlet/outlet is pretty easy, but the numbers get narrowed very quickly when you factor in height. Adding another inch to muffler height on our ground-scraping cars is an invitation to putting a hole in your new muffler and then things get really loud. I'm going to use Spintech Cruisers on my nasty boy. https://www.spintechmufflers.com/mufflers/street-mufflers/cruiser-mufflers-7000-series/cat_31.html They are only 2 1/4" tall. Unortunately, they are not on the car yet so I can't give a report on how loud they are.

abarth69

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Hi Michael

Keep your right foot away from the gas pedal that will keep the noise down. 15 watts is not enough power to get over the road and wind noise in a Healey.

Happy New Years and all the best in 2010

Cheers

Mark

OP
Michael Oritt

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
"The easiest and most effective way to reduce the noise, will be swapping back to the cast-iron exhaust manifold from your tube header. You will probably find that you can now live with the existing muffler just fine.

All things being equal, changing only the cast iron manifold for tube headers has certainly increased the exhaust noise whenever I've made the switch on MGBs and 6-cylinder Healeys.

If you still have your original manifold, try that first, and I think you'll be surprised at how effectively it dampens the explosions."
-----------------------------------------
Randy--

Anathema! The tubular exhaust header is part and parcel of the DW aluminum cylinder head package with the "fast street" porting configuration (the headers allow the head to breath).

Country flag
Michael Oritt said:
"The easiest and most effective way to reduce the noise, will be swapping back to the cast-iron exhaust manifold from your tube header. You will probably find that you can now live with the existing muffler just fine.

If you still have your original manifold, try that first, and I think you'll be surprised at how effectively it dampens the explosions."
-----------------------------------------
Randy--

Anathema! The tubular exhaust header is part and parcel of the DW aluminum cylinder head package with the "fast street" porting configuration (the headers allow the head to breath).
Well, if you're listening to the radio, you can't be using all the available performance anyway :smile:

But hey, if you want it all, don't fear; my wife's an Audiologist, so she can probably recommend someone in your area to fit you with hearing aids... :devilgrin:

OP
Michael Oritt

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
"she can probably recommend someone in your area to fit you with hearing aids..."
-------------------------------
No sale Randy, I already have them! I wonder why?

Best--Michael

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Michael Oritt said:
"she can probably recommend someone in your area to fit you with hearing aids..."
-------------------------------
No sale Randy, I already have them! I wonder why?

Best--Michael
I used to have hearing aids for both ears since 1988. Now I'm at a Cochlear Implant in one ear and a hearing aid for my other ear which has severe to profound hearing loss. Batteries are expensive and so is the maintenance and then's there the sad part of being in noisy places and not being able to understand everything thats said and you can forget going to trendy noisy restaurants. While I'm waiting for disability from the VA, I would give anything to have my hearing back because without good hearing you are truely cut off from the world. <span style="text-decoration: underline">Protect your hearing at all costs!!</span>
Patrick

Country flag
I always thought it was a shame that when the kids left home and I could finally afford good surround sound and fine stereo equipment it was a waste of money.

Jim_Newman

Jedi Hopeful
Hey Michael:
Did you consider that a good deal of the noise may be coming directly from the engine bay? Have you contemplated adding a hood/bonnet liner to provide some additional sound damping? I realize with those vents in the bonnet, it may not be as effective as otherwise - but maybe since you are not doing "spirited driving", they could be blocked off from below without serious overheating consequences while still retaining the proper appearance.
Just another thought.......
Jim

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
Hi Michael,
The recommendation to just go with a stock exhaust system may meet your needs. the fact that you have the Welsh set up just means you need to make the connection at the down pipe. I built a complete exhaust system for my '70 Vette which started at the 3" collector off the aftermarket headers. My new exhaust system incorporates a section of chambered pipe in approximately the middle of the car. It is exactly the same pipe that is used in the vette side pipes of the '60s. The complete home built system is installed in exactly the same location as the OEM system. There are no mufflers, just straight thru pipes. (oops, don't tell the cops that). My point is that if you can weld you can make the connection. Just buy sections of pipe that have the appropriate bends and make miter cuts till you get the bends you need. You can also keep shrinking down to different size pipe by just inserting the next smaller size pipe into the other and welding up the gap. There are so many variety of mufflers out there that, if not the original one to use, I am sure you can find one.
Have fun, it just keeps getting more interesting.
Dave C.

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
tahoe healey said:
I always thought it was a shame that when the kids left home and I could finally afford good surround sound and fine stereo equipment it was a waste of money.
That's exactly what happened to me!
Patrick