Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Hey Guest! British Car Forum has been supporting enthusiasts for over 25 years by providing a great place to share our love for British cars. You can support our efforts by upgrading your membership for less than the dues of most car clubs. There are some perks with a member upgrade!
**Upgrade Now** (PS: Upgraded members don't see this banner, nor will you see the Google ads that appear on the site.)
so... please don't shoot me... but ... When I got the car... the first thing I did was put in a new battery... I didn't realize this thing was wired positive ground.... (yeah yeah... I know.... bad me!)
So I installed it as a neg ground... and shortly after I upgraded the points to a pertronix ignition... From what I have read the points should have fried on me but I guess I didnt wait long before adding the pertronix in there.
Now I'm researching how to do the rest of the conversion to neg earth... and I'm worried I may have messed a few things up in the process...
Is it possible I fried my tach? I understand there are a couple wires I need to switch on it to convert it... but I'm wondering if its too late if I've already run it wired for positive, with the distributor and battery wired negative... ? what do you think?
Also.... since I've run it this way... it doesn't seem to be charging the battery... It has the generator. I recently rebuilt it. New bearing/bushing, new brushes, and had the armature turned at my local auto electric shop... I polarized it after I installed it too... but the battery seems to keep going dead... I am going to take the battery in to have it tested.... but with this whole "positive earth half-swap over" mess with the charging system?
In converting to a negative earth are there any changes I need to make to the Voltage regulator?
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.