• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Wanted Need Door Seals, Vent Window Seals and Trunk Seal for Daimler ds420 Limo

volunteer

Freshman Member
Country flag
This is a 1971 Daimler but of course built by Jag. I need a supplier or possibly a link to a repro manufacturer. Thanks.

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
Is this the same body as an XJ6 or 12? If so, Moss, SNG, Welsh, Engles, and RockAuto have them.

OP
volunteer

volunteer

Freshman Member
Country flag
This is a huge vehicle - possibly same as Jag 420? Parts not rare due to being Daimler - but rather from being so old, and mundane. I need confirmation of cross-overs, interchangeability, super-cedes etc. thanks.IMG_2551.JPG

Last edited:

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
Try Martin Robey, they have seals. Real nice people, have used extensively.

OP
volunteer

volunteer

Freshman Member
Country flag
Thanks for info. I know of this place but difficult to connect with. I sent email describing items and awaiting response. P.S. do you or anyone else happen to know where brake light switch is located (on '71 Daimler Limo (RHD)?

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
If you don't have international calling, it costs .15 a minute to call. I never spent more than a $1 as they understand costs. Wait on email, they are 8 hrs different than east coast and there weekends are before ours. Good people. May be back logged as they serve the world. Their place is between the Jag and Rover factory.

OP
volunteer

volunteer

Freshman Member
Country flag
Well they did get back to me. Good news is that a rear suspension bush is available, and, the trunk seal - but no luck with the vent windows and door seals. Prices apparently good but I expect high shipping costs plus (CDN) import taxes and very high exchange rate. ie: 20 British pounds = 35 CDN $. But, glad to have available. Now some more searching for door seals - but likely looking to take a 'hit' when limo goes up for sale. thanks.

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
I bought 300 lbs of body repair panels for my MK1 at Martin Robey. $400 UPS, $100 import fee, no tax. Came to door in a week. They should mail what you need, but probably UPS. If you have an import fee, UPS calls you. I also deal ebay.uk and they let you know shipping and fee ahead of time. I have bought a lot of seals thru ebay.uk. just watch for the 100% sellers or near 100%.

OP
volunteer

volunteer

Freshman Member
Country flag
Thanks for info. It's much worse to order stuff into Canada and UPS worst shipper as they like to double dip once parcels cross the U.S. border. I will shop around as I await yet another reply from M.R. Good thing I don't need any engine or fuel system parts. Now, how to remove the right/rear saddle tank and await warmer weather to get to the wooden dash pieces, etc. etc. :greedy_dollars:

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
You might have to take bumper on right off. Remove lower fender panel and unbolt tank from inside boot. I am assuming same as the XJ6 series cars with independent suspension. Tank may have drain and fuel lines go thru inner boot to tank.

OP
volunteer

volunteer

Freshman Member
Country flag
Getting used to new format. Thanks for all info. Seller (jumpinjag) on ebay.uk offered all the door and window seals, plus the felts, for 825 (U.K.) including shipping. No trunk seal. Cost to me would be converted to about $1500. cdn. so not sure what to do. At least stuff still available but leaning towards letting next owner take care of it. Will get trunk seal and soft bushing from M.R. - estimate $60. to $65. so not too bad.
Fuel tank has bracket which also secures jack and spare tire. Tank will 'wiggle' but not slide up and inward I suspect due to layer of black protective material. At least both tanks / pumps / sending units functioning as they should - after hours and hours of TLC. Still need to find brake light switch or whatever triggers. thanks for all interest.

OP
volunteer

volunteer

Freshman Member
Country flag
Well, I got the parts delivered March 11, so took full week (door to door). This is what it cost me. The two items were a combined 21 UK pounds - - which converted to $36. (CDN) which is pretty good. Then, with taxes, shipping and handling - culminated with handing FedEx driver $15. cash on delivery, my total (out of pocket) came to $115.(CDN). The car is only worth (optimistically) about $16K. so hopefully will end up back in its' 'birth-country'. Oh, bushing and boot-lid seal look super, so Martin Robey (thanks to Kevin) did their part very well.
Now - - someone please tell me where to look for brake light switch? :unsure:

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
Either on brake pedal arm or behind master cylinder or on master cylinder.

OP
volunteer

volunteer

Freshman Member
Country flag
Browsed thru British Parts Northwest (Oregon) and noticed the fuel tank seals and locking rings (that attach gauge sender unit) - at a very fair price. Two of each totaled less than $5. Then I check out other costs, with shipping being $43. I added extra taxes and duties (to Canada) then converted to CDN $. The final (door to door) out of my pocket will be in the $80. range - or even higher. I contacted the dealer for possible alternatives and suggested putting all four tiny, non-fragile items in small bubble-pack envelope and (snail) mail with whatever postage. With the extra charges as above, total would/should be closer to $20. I haven't received a reply yet after 24 hours. (NOW - as of May 01, still no reply.) :unsure:
Also, still haven't located the brake switch as everything between pedal arm and MC is trapped in upper compartment. I will try to find a schematic and trace thru wiring, but these old jalopies were famous for one -color wiring. Oh, and any ideas for re-coating wooden dash panel pieces? Stain with varnish mix, or separate? Brand? Name? Best or easiest way to apply? etc. thanks.

Last edited:

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
They are not one color wiring, might have to scrap to see color. Is there a two prong switch screwed in master cylinder? Might have to be a contortionist to get under dash. Never been in the Daimler, but might be near a late 420.

OP
volunteer

volunteer

Freshman Member
Country flag
No switch or wires to M.C. I am very slow to gain any progress as too many issues, projects and routines in the way. I did get the locking rings and seals from U.K. cheap and fast. Will make up a 'tool' to turn the rings but, alas, when and how (sigh). New issue is the left side SU fuel pump leaking at diaphragm flange area - no matter how well sealed and tightened. The parts appear to be (dare I say) original so flex part quite stiff. I see other (new and used) pumps for sale - but what about interchangeability? Visually the same (MGB, etc.) and I am not sure about PSI. There is a New Zealand made pump (no.15LM12) on Ebay (U.K.), for about $150. total - my cost - that seems to have same in and out banjo connections and is rated at 3 to 4 psi. Any ideas or tips? What should I be looking for (again, 1971 Daimler DS420 with common Jag 6-cyl. ) Also a diaphragm/stem with common 6-holes in Houston for about half the other price. I will remove old pump, yet again, to see if easy enough to access diaphragm. thanks. Update: (May 03). I did remove diaphragm as it simply unscrews. Found a couple on Ebay - one with 3-inch stem and other with 2-3/8" (same as mine). Now awaiting confirmation that this one has threads on tip of shaft - which I suspect it will as ad photo was inconclusive.

Last edited:
OP
volunteer

volunteer

Freshman Member
Country flag
Spent 50 of last 70 days in hospital. Highly recommend that every man, woman and child undergo open-heart surgery. :nonod:. Just kidding, of course! Worst experience of my life. Easy to get to the Gates of He ll but slow to return. :devilish:. Now 7 weeks since the dreaded surgery and feeling well enough to re-assess what still needs to be done on Daimler. Totally forgot how all the rear seat area goes back together. The diaphram I mentioned previously did not want to screw back into solenoid part but eventually did. There was a weird looking white, plastic piece that was sandwiched in-between diaphram parts so I transferred it over to new part. What I need to know now is exactly how this pump should react when 12 volts applied. Can it be 'bench-tested' with fuel? Please advise. Thanks.

OP
volunteer

volunteer

Freshman Member
Country flag
Still no procedures or specs for SU pump. Got a diagram sent to me by Glen in 'old country'. Didn't take me long to trace the brake lines and subsequently located brake switch at 3-way block - on inner fender panel about 3 inches to right of P.S. pump. It showed no continuity but by-passing unit indeed actuated rear brake lights. I searched and located said switch (under various Jag listings) on R.A. but my cost with shipping and taxes would be about $23. so will try local sources.

equiprx

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
This is a 1971 Daimler but of course built by Jag. I need a supplier or possibly a link to a repro manufacturer. Thanks.
Have you tried Steel Rubber?

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
Have you tried sources in England? Moss, SNG, ingle Imports, BritParts here. If you want the old Jag/Daimlers done shipping is irrelevant. Only local Jag dealers my get it thru the Vintage Jag supply, or Heritage Parts, but you wait and highest prices. Over 90% of my parts EbayUK.