• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Need BugEye Generator

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
Hello Folks, I have posted this on the Spridget forum but thought I would post it here as well since many are knowledgeable about these things.
Today I am working on a 1959 Austin Healey, Bugeye Sprite. And as luck would have it I need a complete generator for this Sprite. The armature in this one I have is shorted out and the front end plate is broken. I would like to buy a new one or one which is freshly rebuilt. Moss has them listed but they are on Back Order. Does anyone know where I might be able to get one. Thanks Again.

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Google local starter motor / alternator rebuilders near you . You would be surprised what you will find . They may have one kicking around or have parts or maybe an old one to make a good one out of two ?
it worked for me when I needed a new generator rotor .

Bob_Spidell

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
If no luck elsewhere, try Star Auto Electric (he's not cheap). I don't know if he still does, but he used to install a new rotor on his rebuilds. But, I agree with 'Nut; some local shops are pretty good--there's one in my town that was able to rebuild both generators and starters on my 65-YO tractors.

Joe Schlosser

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Where in PA are you. I have a non working BE (with tach drive end) generator. Not sure why it is defective. You can have it if you come and get it. I am in Orange County NY.

OP
vette

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
Where in PA are you. I have a non working BE (with tach drive end) generator. Not sure why it is defective. You can have it if you come and get it. I am in Orange County NY.
Joe, I sent you a private message. (PM).

OP
vette

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
Thank you to everyone for your help. The search took me many different directions many which came from you guys. Very luckily I got a generator from a known fellow right here in my own town. I also have an electric alternator/generator shop here which will take the parts from both of these units and make one good one I hope. As long as we can get one good field and armature out of them.
I was aware of where this other generator was but the owner was out of town and didn't return until tonight. Then we climbed way back into one of his sheds to reach the 948 engine and trans that he pulled out of his bugeye about 30 years ago. The generator was still hanging on the engine. Crawling on my hands and knee's thru mice and birds nest with just a flash light and a few wrenches I was able to retrieve it. If anyone needs a complete 948 engine and trans its still resting in the shed. Thanks to everyone and especially Joe in NY who was willing to wait for me tomorrow late into the day. Thanks Joe, I guess I won't be coming this trip.