• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Nana's 8th grade Civics book

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
A number of years ago the great state of Oklahoma eliminated cursive from the elementary curriculum. Once these kids made it to my classroom I had to start teaching cursive because I refuse to write in print. The state has realized its mistake and has reintroduced cursive to the curriculum in a couple of years I should see kids that can read and write it again....
After I learned cursive, I had a class in drafting (~1963). After that class, I gave up writing in cursive, and have never looked back.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
"Tom you have a PM
drillsergeant.gif
"

Non est, ut putas quod non puto.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
"After I learned cursive, I had a class in drafting (~1963). After that class, I gave up writing in cursive, and have never looked back."

My print is fairly decent, I having once upon a time studied structural engineering and having a drafting class myself. However, it is a labor for me to do since before that aborted path of study I hadn't printed since I had been in the second grade. My cursive is much easier to write and honestly tends to flow better when I write.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Walt - same here. Printing for me is like drawing - most lines done separately, a relatively slow mechanical process.

Cursive for me just flows pretty smoothly and quickly. Ever hear of the Palmer method?

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
"After I learned cursive, I had a class in drafting (~1963). After that class, I gave up writing in cursive, and have never looked back."

My print is fairly decent, I having once upon a time studied structural engineering and having a drafting class myself. However, it is a labor for me to do since before that aborted path of study I hadn't printed since I had been in the second grade. My cursive is much easier to write and honestly tends to flow better when I write.
My wife's cursive flows quite well. Unfortunately, often even she can't read it after a while.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
My wife's cursive flows quite well. Unfortunately, often even she can't read it after a while.

When I take notes in a meeting, I find myself switching between cursive and printing and it always looks like I was drunk when I was writing. My wife has very nice, flowing handwriting.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
My cursive is vertical and 'rounded.' I letter most everything I write, it was my dad's influence, many hours of drafting classes and working with an architect over a couple summers. That honed my speed and style. Been asked many times if I was an architect due to it. Only cursive I've used in decades is writing and signing checks. And very few of those in recent years.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
coming back to reading - if Harry Potter did nothing else he taught an entire generation to enjoy reading again - especially boys!

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Our Granddaughter (now 13) has always liked reading.
We'd catch her reading under the covers,when she was supposed
to be sleeping,when she was living with us.
She still doesn't have a cell phone.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Tom started it.

YakkoWarner

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I always have been an avid reader - IF a book grabs and holds my interest. I've been known to do all-nighters with a book because I just had to see what was on the next page (wasn't a great habit to have in high school probably). Even now at 50+ if something grabs my interest I tend to just go all-in at it.

Writing on the other hand - I'll plead 100% guilty to digital dependence. I failed so many classes because I cannot think and write at the same time. I can either concentrate on what the letters are supposed to look like and how to draw them, or concentrate on a thought or train of thought. I ended up paring down to only uppercase block print letters when forced to hand draw text because that means only 26 shapes to worry about rather than 52 for upper/lower case. Even at that I need both hands on the pen to do it. Cursive eluded me from day 1 and I have never found a use for it. The letter shapes are just too complex for me to accurately reproduce. I can generally read it if its mostly legible, but it would take me an hour to try to create a simple paragraph in it.

I actually came to realize I'm not as stupid as everyone labeled me in school when I got my hands on a keyboard and could coherently create sentences, paragraphs and even chapter length text that sounded moderately intelligent once I didn't have to worry about forcing my hands to draw letter shapes. Push a button, get a letter. I can even use proper capitalization, punctuation and such just like a real person!

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Canis Latinicus Mickey? :highly_amused:

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
This is what I love about the Pub - a thread about a nearly 80 year old Civics book can morph into a lesson in Latin. :chuncky:

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
I thought I was the only one who both printed and wrote cursive in the same document. Must mean something that there are others. Wife, too, has flowing handwriting. Must also mean something. Quien sabe?