• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB My 5.8 OHC Rover V8 build yes this is a P76 block from do under!

zdzis

Freshman Member
Hi

This post is because I want to brag a little and also I want the MG watch. Just being honest
Lets start with head flow #
John Lozinski
Buick 300 Heads
Level 2 porting
January 10th 2007
Valves Intake Exhaust
Head Diameter 1.77 1.5
Stem Diameter 11/32 11/32
valve seat angle in degrees 45 45
Valve Spring
Seat Pressure 120 120
@ 1.780

Open Pressure (.500" lift) 305 305 @ 1.280"
Open Pressure (.600" lift) 350 350 @ 1.180"
Coil Bind @ 1.110"
After Porting:
Valve lift .100" .200" .300" .400" .500" .600"
Intake Flow (CFM @ 28") 55 109 160 171 178 181
Exhaust Flow (CFM @ 28") 55 102 126 134 138 141 w/o header flow tube
Intake to Exhaust ratio 100% 94% 79% 78% 78% 78%
I imported two P76 aluminum blocks from Au. What a task that was. Shipping & customs cost more than the blocks. I already have a 5.2 litter with the water cooled eaton 110 supercharger.
This motor uses a Olds cast crank 3.85 and 3.7* pistons hyper tech not forged. Pete Aardeema will be doing my bucket over head cam set up. I think I can not rev to 7500 so I will limit it to 7200 Max safe on a cast crank. Already have 5 and 6 speed transmissions. I have been looking at the independent MG rear suspension as this motor will be under 400 HP. I tried to copy the formula racing motor 3.0 liter V8 when I was young but blew it is half at 140 MPH and a little over 140 MPH I have lied about the RPM for years so do not ask but it was clearly to high. The P76 block is weaker so the next one I build for much more power will have a top level girdle and forged crank. This one is for torque and a daily driver. I have lots of these heads and also Olds heads. I will be more than glad to answer questions as Rover motors have been my life time hobby. I live near Woody in Taunton USA he is a wonderful knowledgeable man who loves these motors but puts them into TR8's. I hope they notify me when people comment! JOHN

RickB

Yoda
Pictures?
Love to see it!

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
OP
Z

zdzis

Freshman Member
Short block is with Woody in Taunton it looks just like any Rover short block heads are at my machine shop
I can not even find pics of the finished 5.2 I will ask my machinist to send some.
I am attaching something interesting that Phil Baker built. Yes I was in communications with him when he was building this.
Also my 220 for my DZ302 BakersV12.jpg220.jpeg The magnacharger 220 CID displacement & Phil Bakers 482 CID V12 built from 2 Rover Blocks!

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Woody's definitely the go-to guy for that motor.

bob67bgt

Jedi Knight
After purchasing a TR8 and feeling the great torque of that engine I purchased a 215 for my rubber bumper BGT. Townsend sounds like the place to be!

Attachments

• Olds engine - Bob White 003.jpg
    Olds engine - Bob White 003.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 104
OP
Z

zdzis

Freshman Member
My TR8 has a 6 speed and a 5.2 supercharged but it is not finished I hope this sping it has cost a fortune the motor alone has $28,000 (google Lanocha racing) I have the flairs and the huge tires.)
Smile
John

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
After purchasing a TR8 and feeling the great torque of that engine I purchased a 215 for my rubber bumper BGT. Townsend sounds like the place to be!

C'mon over, Bob! You won't meet a greater bunch of guys.

And you're gonna love the transformation that 215 will give your GT. You ARE gonna put A/C in, aren't you?

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
My TR8 has a 6 speed and a 5.2 supercharged but it is not finished I hope this sping it has cost a fortune the motor alone has $28,000 (google Lanocha racing) I have the flairs and the huge tires.)
Smile
John

I really loved the TR8 I had; hated to let it go. Only so much room and budget, though.

bob67bgt

Jedi Knight
I am in the same boat with the TR8. I really like the TR8. But to keep the fleet down to a manageable size my plans are to convert the MGBGT then sell the TR8. About the only thing I do not care for on the TR8 is the heavy steering compared to the BGT. My TR8 has a Holley 390 and headers. Other than that its stock. The plans for the BGT is to have my buddy Glenn Towery assist with fuel injection and air. But first get the car built with just the carb setup. Its going to be hard to let the TR go when the time comes!