• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 Mounting location for electric fuel pump on TR6

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
At the end of October, I purchased a Facet electric fuel pump to install on my TR6. Its been a cold winter and I didn't feel like working on the install in an unheated garage. Today is the day that I decided to install the pump as the temps are in the 50's!
Just where do you mount the pump?
The base of the pump is too wide to fit the frame... of course I could trim the base of the pump if that's whats required.
If anyone who has mounted the Facet pump can post a few pics of the mounting and location that would be great.
Thanks for any help!

justin_mercier

Jedi Warrior
I dont have a facet pump, but I do have an electric fuel pump that I just recently mounted. Electric pumps like to be pushers rather than pullers, so you should mount it close to the tank. I mounted mine just under the rear shock tower on the side of the frame.

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
This one.....

facet pump.jpg

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Any reason you plan on changing to an electric?

dklawson

Yoda
Correct me if I am wrong, bub didn't the injected European cars put their pump low in the left side of the boot near the tank itself?

With those "brick" Facet pumps, pay attention to their suggestion to mount the pump at an angle. It was explained to me that the internal bits of the pump continue to seal better/longer if the moving parts operate at an angle off vertical.

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I'm installing the electric only because of perceived reliability? I mean the mechanical pump was rebuilt when I completed the car and is doing OK but I worry about it failing one day so therefore I thought I'd install the electric.
As for mounting on an "angle" this is what the instructions say:
NOTE: It is recommended that the outlet of the pump
be at least 45º above horizontal. This will
allow any vapor buildup to easily pass

through the pump.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Elliot- I'd keep the mech one if it is doing fine and then wire the electric as a back up when needed
Those Facets can be loud

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Don- are you saying to run separate fuel lines from the electric to bypass the mechanical pump?

Doug-As for mounting it low in the boot, I just had a look in the boot area.... the bottom of the tank has a fitting that goes through the body. If I mount the pump in the boot, I don't see how I would be able to connect the inlet side of the pump from inside the boot.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
No, lots of people have set up the electric as back up with just movement of lines.
Somebody will have to chime in on the how

donbmw

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
I have had an electric pump like that on my TR3 mounted inline for the last few years. Have not had any fuel delivery issue. It has help on hot start issues.

Don

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
That is good to know Don. One question: Is the pump noisy?

dklawson

Yoda
I'll answer the "noisy Facet" question. Yes. However, if you put the pump on rubber mounts it is a lot better. Unlike an electric SU pump, a Facet runs all the time. You are not likely to notice either when you are at speed. You will notice a Facet pump at idle, particularly if it is on a panel that can vibrate on its own.

donbmw

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
I only hear low tic tic sound.

Don

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Don- Any chance that's the valves?:excitement:

BobbyD

Jedi Knight
Before converting to TBI, I had the facet pump located in the trunk on the left side next to the tank. Facet is pretty specific about location relative to the tank outlet. These pumps do a good job at pushing fuel but not so good at pulling fuel. I isolated the pump with rubber between the pump and mounting point. They're not loud per se..... they click.

donbmw

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
I only hear this tic tic when the pump is on. I installed the pump more for hot start problems.

Don

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Before converting to TBI, I had the facet pump located in the trunk on the left side next to the tank.
I considered the area on the left in the trunk.... but, how did you manage to plumb the "in" line from the tank. As you know there is a hole in the trunk directly under the outlet fitting of the tank that is only accessible from underneath the car. Did you have it hooked up with the stock tank?
Any photos or further advice as to routing the feed line would be appreciated... thanks!

hondo402000

Darth Vader
I put my carter pump in the boot, place where described above, thing is you can mount it in the engine bay as long as its at the same level at the mechanical pump, even though its a pusher, it is lower than the tank so it will have a natural flow to it.

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
hondo- You are correct... the instructions with the pump just say to mount with 12" VERTICAL of the bottom of the fuel tank. Anywhere on the frame (longitudinal) falls within those parameters.
So how did you access the outlet of your tank when you installed your carter pump in the trunk?