• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Most popular color for A/H 3000

DerekJ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Interesting figures from Steve. 553 MGB on the register, isn’t that most of the total production of those cars?

IMHO I think BJ8’s look better in single colours rather than two tone.

If you’ re going off spec with colours I think the Aston Martin light green metallic would look great. It’s the green equivalent of Healey Blue.😀

maxwedge5281

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
to me almost any color looks good on an austin healey. I used to think brg was the only color but I have changed my mind about that. give me about any color or color combination with a v8 and I would be happy!!! no the red and oew is not a v8 conversion but it does have a chev in line six motor!

Attachments

• 61174563_10213808932807270_5585830729108946944_n.jpg
    61174563_10213808932807270_5585830729108946944_n.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 50
  • Resized_20181110_073647.jpeg.jpg
    Resized_20181110_073647.jpeg.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 44

maxwedge5281

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
it is an early 80s chevrolet 250 cubic inch motor. it has comp cam, headers, four barrel intake and holley 390 cfm carburator, v8 pistons, hei distributor...estimate 200 chp. it also has a t5 transmission which is really nice gearing for the car....with the 215/65/15 tires on the rear it cruises 70 mph at slightly less than 2000 rpm.

Attachments

• Resized_20190210_104930[2763].jpg
    Resized_20190210_104930[2763].jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 67

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
it is an early 80s chevrolet 250 cubic inch motor. it has comp cam, headers, four barrel intake and holley 390 cfm carburator, v8 pistons, hei distributor...estimate 200 chp. it also has a t5 transmission which is really nice gearing for the car....with the 215/65/15 tires on the rear it cruises 70 mph at slightly less than 2000 rpm.

Saw a nasty boy with a Chevy Atlas 6, all aluminum with 275 hp. https://www.topspeed.com/trucks/tru...-engine-gm-s-42-liter-atlas-i-6-ar174949.html Sounded just like a Healey through stock exhaust and was very quick.

maxwedge5281

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
maybe a dirty boy!!!

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Wonder why we haven't seen more Healeys with the Atlas 6 (Vortec 4200). Looking at the specs for the engine it looks like it would be a good option. Aluminum block and twin overhead cams with variable timing on the exhaust side. Don't know if the size of the GM 6 would present problems but I like the idea of using an inline 6.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Wonder why we haven't seen more Healeys with the Atlas 6 (Vortec 4200). Looking at the specs for the engine it looks like it would be a good option. Aluminum block and twin overhead cams with variable timing on the exhaust side. Don't know if the size of the GM 6 would present problems but I like the idea of using an inline 6.

One of the reasons is the Atlas is a very tall engine. In order to make it fit in the Healey in the swap I saw, the builder had to do some cutting and rewelding of the intake in order to get it to fit under a stock hood.

BJ8Healeys

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Interesting figures from Steve. 553 MGB on the register, isn’t that most of the total production of those cars?



Yes, there were 553 made, and 553 of them are in the registry.

BJ8Healeys

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Like 100Ms, 553 made and 3000 still in existence. :devilgrin:

303 of the original 553 are included in the BJ8 Registry with one or more owners/ex-owners identified, or have been advertised for sale, and are still in existence.
241 have no owner at all recorded or otherwise turned up and may or may not still exist.
The original engines for 5 are now installed in other cars, which may or may not indicate that they no longer exist due to donating their parts.
1 (chassis 40861, if anyone is interested) had its original VIN and body plates sold at the Bonham Goodwood auction in September 2018 as part of a collection. They weren't interested in pulling the plates from the auction and sending them to the registry to preserve them until/if the original car turns up.
3 have been confirmed as scrapped.

Some restorers have fallen in love with gold, so there may be 3000 of them running around now.

Joe_Healey

Country flag
In 1981 when I went went looking for my BJ8 I wanted only one color - Healey blue. I still think it's the best color for a BJ8, A 100 should be coronet cream though spruce green with a green interior is a neat combo but not for me. I've owned and totaled 3 green cars and will never buy another for self preservation.

Joe

stuntflyr

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I know you didn't mean BRG and Colorado Red on the same car, but a BRG Healey with a red interior is another great option. Few people realize that red is a neutral color - "a color that goes with anything" - and red interiors on almost any color exterior offer an extra degree of stylishness. A default black interior, while always inoffensive, is often a missed opportunity.

These are sports cars! Don't just aim to avoid offending the style-challenged - make a statement!

I couldn't agree with you more, sir. Steve McQueen's XK-SS was white with red interior, he had it painted green with a black interior because he was not strong enough to carry the color! (Anyone caring to disagree simply doesn't understand the King of Cool.)
My high school car was Iris blue with Navy and pale blue piping, no problem and it still is!
Chris...

stuntflyr

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
There is a silver Healey in the Tucson area with white coves, I'd never seen this before. Fabulous looking car.
Chris...

Silver paint with a red interior is always striking, although also fairly common - except not common at all in Healeys. I think it would look fab. Hope you go this route.