• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Modern Paint Reference Numbers Spa White

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Hi Guys,

Tomorrow is paint buying day for the TR3A.

At the last visit to the Body Shop Supply store I asked about the possibility of finding Spa White in their database. I was armed with the paint codes that I could find off the internet for Spa White. I gave them the PPG code 8335 and ICI 3436 to see if they could do a cross reference but no dice.

So, before I go and buy something like "Oxford White" found on Fords, I thought I would ask here if anyone has a modern day code for Triumph Spa White.

If not Spa White, I would settle foe another triumph white like Sebring....

Cheers
Tush

OP
M_Pied_Lourd

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Thanks Mike,

I have the codes from the Spitlist. I think that I am a little bit closer this morning. Al W has emailed me a Triumph chip with the colours and tints listed in mixing ratios so I might be able to get my paint guy to mix from this.

Will let you know.

Cheers
Tush

TexasKnucklehead

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I went to a local supplier several times, and they kept 'checking on it'. Finally one day I happened to be there the same day as the PPG salesperson. He looked at my old paint codes and logged in and checked the codes and found them to be out of date or no longer in the system. Then he picked up the phone and called someone in the office who found a cross reference and a few minutes later, I had "orchid yellow" -the new name for the same color, but in base/clear. Everyone seems to think my "Primrose yellow" is the 'right color'. -not sure this helps you, but it might give you some idea...

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
I'm sure I'm just obsessed with it all, but I can't get out of my head how terrific the original TR spa white looks on a Triumph. Take a look at this link: https://www.finecars.cc/en/detail/car/103337/index.html There are few cars sharper than that one; it went to Greece and then on from there. May never make its way back home.
Only problem here is that Spa White is not the same as #19, sometimes referred to as either Triumph White or New White. Both are nice colors, but I've always perceived Spa White to be just a bit creamier.

OP
M_Pied_Lourd

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Thanks for the responses guys. So, here is what I decided to do in the end.

I went to the paint store armed with all the new information that I could find including mixing ratios (thanks Al) from original Triumph paint chips circa 1960 listing percentages of White, Reduced Black, and Reduced Yellow Oxide. There was also a "may be required" listing for Turkey Red Oxide....hmmm.

Anyway, long story short, based on modern paints/toners, the paint store could mix it, but couldn't guarantee that it would be considered Spa White in the end and of course we had nothing to compare it against....

So, as a back up plan, I had driven my white, 73 triumph TR6 to the paint store as a reference for something close to New White. When I did the resto on the TR6, I had the paint digitally matched from a sample taken from underneath the crash pad. Unfortunately, I didn't get the codes for the paint that was mixed for the TR6...I have the Sikkens can in storage but paint on the outside of the can has run over top of the codes.

So, I took their chip selection out to my car and found one that was close with the help of the paint guy. Turns out, New White (or what I call new white on my TR6) is close to Glacier White as used on Subarus from the late 90's till 2001. So, long story short I have Matrix Brand Base and Matrix Brand AG40 High Solid Clear Coat waiting in the garage for me to finish sanding primer so I can get to spraying colour and clear....

Wish me luck!

Cheers
Tush

KVH

Darth Vader
Country flag
Only problem here is that Spa White is not the same as #19, sometimes referred to as either Triumph White or New White. Both are nice colors, but I've always perceived Spa White to be just a bit creamier.
Yes, as in the pics, which were very well done when that car reached EBAY once upon a time--beautiful white, slightly creamy and very dreamy. I believe this car was painted by Gassman Automotive, 184 N. Bayard Avenue
Waynesboro, Virginia 22980, 540-949-8764, info@gassmanautomotive.com. They should know.