• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Modern Classics-to-be?

dklawson

Yoda
I'll throw one out there: 30 years from now, the Honda Element will be considered the VW Bus of this generation. I thought it was a bit nuts myself, but the people who own them seem to be fanatical about them.

Maybe. However, fanatical followings do not necessarily equate to a car being considered "classic". Consider for a moment the Geo Metro. Just like the Honda Element, the owners are almost fanatics. However, I don't see the Metro becoming a classic collectable any more than my daily driver Civic.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Maybe. However, fanatical followings do not necessarily equate to a car being considered "classic". Consider for a moment the Geo Metro. Just like the Honda Element, the owners are almost fanatics. However, I don't see the Metro becoming a classic collectable any more than my daily driver Civic.

You never know - 1st gen Civics are become VERY collectable - I think the Metro Turbos may prove to be collectable. I just this weekend heard somone talking about 1 gen Pius's (Priui - over 20 years old now) and interest is starting to grow.

dklawson

Yoda
I know this is splitting hairs with semantics but I chose the word "classic", not "collectible". That word choice was intentional and goes along with the subject line of this thread. A Pinto could be considered collectible... particularly as their numbers evaporate. However, a Pinto is unlikely to ever be considered a classic.

Out of curiosity, did you really mean first gen Civic or did you mean the Honda "Z" series (like the Z600)?

mrsprite

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
My first car was a 1st gen Civic....a '79 1200 hatchback. I loved that car....owned 3 of them over the years and picked up #4 a few years ago. I am also a HUGE Fiero nut. I have owned more than 70 and currently have 3 in the stable. I also had a couple of N600 Hondas. Their value has gone up recently too (sold mine too soon!), but they are finicky and well, weird cars. They are very difficult to restore as most of the parts are NLA and those that are still out there are owned by one guy. I have been tempted to buy another N600 (I prefer the looks of the "sedan" over the Z coupe), but being the cheapskate I am I can't bring myself to spend the money on a nice one.

As for modern classics to be? I think the 2012 Porsche Cayman R will be one. Limited production and being the last of the first gen Caymans will ensure future collectibility Also, with E30 M3's going crazy I think nice E46 M3's will start going up too.

I think there will be an uptick in interest of "analog" sports cars (i.e. manual trans, limited electronics, etc.). People will get tired of how complicated cars have gotten and will find something simpler to tinker with. Hopefully that includes the Fiero! Then I can sell mine and retire. :smile:

18kperhr

I have also pondered this and the one car I come up with is the Subaru WRX, but I can also agree with the Toyobaru twins, the second generation Fiero, many Corvettes, and the S2000. The problem will be in finding examples of any of these cars that haven't been "boy-racered" to near death especially the WRXs.
One car that might become collectible is the Toyota sports car that came out around the same time as the S2000. As these are so weird looking and so few were sold they may become collectible.
Miatas may be collectible in that many will be junked as there are so many of them now. The "why bother" syndrome. Only a super nice one would make the cut. Writing of Miatas reminds me of a car that won't be collectible... the Ford Capri. What were they smoking? "Huh, we take a Miata platform and put, huh...a really ugly body on it and then we can go home."
I certainly agree that the electronics and complexity of modern cars is going to be a problem. Maybe a younger person should look at buying up computers and other parts such as special edition trim pieces to sell later at unobtanium prices. LOL.
Much of what we are talking about goes back what you wanted as a young person that you couldn't afford then but can now. God my first junky TR3 set me on my current course of wanting, acquiring, building my own good TR3. It gets the blood and can't be cured.
All the Best,
Joel

dklawson

Yoda
The problem will be in finding examples of any of these cars that haven't been "boy-racered" to near death especially the WRXs.

That statement reminds me of the Datsun 510. I have wanted one for quite a while but I don't want one that has been subjected to all the tweaking and had all the go-fast parts installed. Untouched examples are few and far between.

Writing of Miatas reminds me of a car that won't be collectible... the Ford Capri. What were they smoking? "Huh, we take a Miata platform and put, huh...a really ugly body on it and then we can go home."

You are clearly referencing the most recent iteration of the Capri. To me, the name "Capri" belongs to the German Ford of the 1970s. I always wanted the V6 turbo. That was followed in the late 1970s by something based on the Mustang body. That was eventually replaced by the Ford/Mazda hybrid you mentioned. Pre-dating all of these was a Lincoln Capri of the 1950s... a "Hot Rod Lincoln".

I would still like to own a German Ford Capri and a Datsun 510.

Basil

Administrator
Boss
I would still like to own a German Ford Capri and a Datsun 510.

I owned a 1974 Capri V6. It was the first new car I ever bought. I bought it soon after Air Force Technical School while on leave in Denver visiting parents. I drove it to my first post-tech school base, Malmstrom AFB, Great Falls Mt. It was a really nice little v6 car with an 8-Track player and everything! I have not seen one of those one the road in many many years! (Guessing that have all turned to piles of rust, or most of them have)

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
I think he was referring to the Capri sports car that was built in Australia and sold by Mercury dealers. I rented one in Florida years ago; the top was down when we drove it out of the lot; the rains came, we tried to put the top up with no avail;we drove to a Mercury dealer and they got the top up - but it leaked like mad through the topbow. The car was gutless and miserable. Most, if not all, were red. Even Consumers Union hated it. No relationship whasoever with the German Capri coupe.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Funny that you mentioned the Aussie Capri.I saw one today,
& it wasn't being towed! It was driving in traffic.

Country flag
They made a bunch of Z3s, lots are being wreaked or scrapped right now. Believe they will become collectible. I saw a parts car for $1000 that still looked decent. If I didn't have so much Triumph stuff I would think hard about buying a few of them.

Marv

OP
billspohn

billspohn

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I am also a HUGE Fiero nut. I have owned more than 70 and currently have 3 in the stable.

My daily driver for 18 years was a 1988 GT with a turboed 300 bhp 3.2 engine. Miss that car, but have moved on to a 375 bhp Solstice.

Alfred E. Neuman

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
The looks are a bit of an acquired taste, but I think the low production, high performance, and utility (for what it is) will make the BMW M Coupe a classic. Like a modern TR4 Dove.
bmw-m-coupe-photo-5970-s-original.jpg

OP
billspohn

billspohn

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Both of my modern sports cars will probably be somewhat collectible in the future

B2_1.jpg

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Both of my modern sports cars will probably be somewhat collectible in the future

View attachment 54344

That could be a litmus test, If I own it AND sell it off cheap, clearly it will be collectible in the future. (OT but at cruise night last night I had a guy determined to tell me every single car he ever owned that got away) :rolleyes: