• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MkI Midget Carb Linkage Question

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Can somebody post photos of their linkage as its hooked up....

Preferrably one straight down from the top, &

One of the springs

thanks....

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
See the small holes in the bottom of the heat sheld. See the arm on the throttle shaft and the two, one on each side. connectors that hold the center shaft to the carb throttle shafts. Enough said.

JerryB

Jedi Warrior
tony barnhill
Silver Member
Great Pumpkin

Loc: Gurley, Alabama, USA 2 springs for choke return; 1 spring for throttle return....I'm just trying to figure out how the throttle shaft moves.

------------------------------------------
Take a look four or so posts down....."carb linkage" (assuming you have HS SU's.
There are some pix someone posted.

BTW...I sent you an e-mail....Im in 92707.

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
See, maybe I'm dummying up - but, those photos don't have any springs on the choke return (A)...all 3 of them are on the throttle return (B)!!

carbs1.jpg

92.JPG

...& the throttle return should have 1 spring & the choke return 2.....look at this diagram; notice in this table https://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=29282&SortOrder=50 that there are 2 springs for the choke return (370-335) & 1 for the throttle return (370-320):

SPM-018_1.gif

So, where am I dummying up? Guess I've gotta go look at my '74 Midget......

R

Roger_67MG

tony barnhill said:
See, maybe I'm dummying up - but, those photos don't have any springs on the choke return (A)...all 3 of them are on the throttle return (B)!!

carbs1.jpg

92.JPG

...& the throttle return should have 1 spring & the choke return 2.....look at this diagram; notice in this table https://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=29282&SortOrder=50 that there are 2 springs for the choke return (370-335) & 1 for the throttle return (370-320):

SPM-018_1.gif

So, where am I dummying up? Guess I've gotta go look at my '74 Midget......

Geeze, now you have me worried. Those are grimy photos are how the car arrived off the trailer 6 years ago. The clean ones are now. I am going to check this and let you know.

Oh, this could be very interesting.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
It's been a while ago, like over a year by now, but Jeff, me and some others had a LOOOONG thread goin' about this.

Should be one spring for each of the choke levers, one to the center throttle link. Use an early B as the guide. Except for the position/orientation of the throttle shaft itself. The springs attach in the same way on the Midget (or should).

<span style="font-style: italic">EDIT: YIKES!!! That's not right... the chokes have good springs without needing the coils from the heat shield... the throttle plates DO need the springs. AND the center one on the linkage.

MY BAD!!!</span> :smile:

R

Roger_67MG

OK, gang, I here's what I've found out. I checked a bunch of books including the Benchley, Haynes (two editions), Moss US and Europe, and three restoration books. And none of them were particularly conclusive. The 30 year old Haynes was the best as it has a better quality photo that what you get today in their books, and it looked like the setup in my photos that I posted earlier. But I can't copy that photo right. So I checked my car. Here's what's up on that-

shafts.jpg

In that photo you can see one of the short springs at about the 7:00 position in the photo where it connects to an arm assembly that rides on the throttle shaft. However, the arm-thing pivots on the shaft. You can see a fork-like affair that is associated with the arm rig. The shaft to the right-most in the photo is the choke shaft. There is a spiral spring on that shaft that causes it to return to the normal position. You can just make it out at about the 2:00 position in the photo. It is a tiny bit blurry because the camera didn't quite focus on it. That's why you can't see the spiral winding.

That's all I know.

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Roger_67MG said:
OK, gang, I here's what I've found out. I checked a bunch of books including the Benchley, Haynes (two editions), Moss US and Europe, and three restoration books. And none of them were particularly conclusive. The 30 year old Haynes was the best as it has a better quality photo that what you get today in their books, and it looked like the setup in my photos that I posted earlier. But I can't copy that photo right. So I checked my car. Here's what's up on that-

shafts.jpg

In that photo you can see one of the short springs at about the 7:00 position in the photo where it connects to an arm assembly that rides on the throttle shaft. However, the arm-thing pivots on the shaft. You can see a fork-like affair that is associated with the arm rig. The shaft to the right-most in the photo is the choke shaft. There is a spiral spring on that shaft that causes it to return to the normal position. You can just make it out at about the 2:00 position in the photo. It is a tiny bit blurry because the camera didn't quite focus on it. That's why you can't see the spiral winding.

That's all I know.
Roger....can you take another photo of that linkage - maybe a little farther out so we can see the entire spring setup?

leecreek

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Think the choke spring is by the #17 in the drawing

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
leecreek said:
Think the choke spring is by the #17 in the drawing
No, the parts number for #17 is different from the choke return spring (#27) in the diagram.

leecreek

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
My Haynes book shows 3 springs on the throttle. One on each carb and one on the throttle cable. This is for a 1275 HS2 carbs. Bentley book shows two springs on the shaft of the choke. One called cam return spring and the other called lever return spring. VB catalog shows the same. VB also lists 2 different springs from the heatshield. Once called return spring throttle the other return spring carb.

bugimike

Yoda
Tony, #27 is a throttle-return spring! All three "long" springs are throttle related. The choke return spring should be coiled around the shaft. Here is a pic. of an old carb I had on the shelf showing the choke-return spring. The red arrow points to the spring, the white arrow shows the spring-stop"ear" on the carb body.

Attachments

• 13142.jpg
    13142.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 168
OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
All this is interesting...the Moss catalog calls 2 of the long springs "choke return spring".....

R

Roger_67MG

Hi,

Sorry, I have been away from the computer for a day or so. Here is a photo that may help.

92.JPG

And maybe this one:

93.JPG

And a different angle:

94.JPG

I posted these on another, but similar, thread.

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
That's the same photo - so, its the general concensus that the Moss catalog is wrong? The choke doesn't get 2 springs? But the throttle gets all 3?

HAN8L1965

Jedi Warrior
I think VB says it best. Page 85 #'s 9-198 and 9-199 1 throttle return spring and two carb springs. Nobody really shows how they attach. But I agree with what everyone else has done, that is how mine are attached and they work properly.

Mark

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
HAN8L1965 said:
I think VB says it best. Page 85 #'s 9-198 and 9-199 1 throttle return spring and two carb springs. Nobody really shows how they attach. But I agree with what everyone else has done, that is how mine are attached and they work properly.

Mark
Moss says the same trhing as VB - & even sells different springs for the throttle & choke....but, nobody knows how to hook them up!

My '74 has them hooked up the same as yours - all 3 on the throttle shaft!

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Tony, do your duty and advise Moss to make a correction.

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Heck, Jack, it appears everybody needs ot make the same correction!