• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Missing

maynard

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
1641594844390.png

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Looking around our neighborhood,I've NEVER seen a teen mowing the lawn,
or washing their parent's cars,or....

I'm sure there's an "APP" for that,somewhere.

JamesH

Country flag
yeah. i did that sort of work myself (weeding, mowing, raking, painting, shoveling, tree trimming, gutter cleaning, etc.) part time myself in high school and undergraduate. the old fashioned and honest way of earning money to take girls to dinners and movies.

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Did the same graduating to a small machine shop where I made good money making parts.
OSHA would have shut the place without stepping inside.
One of the jobs was drilling 1" holes around the outside diameter of oil tank inspection covers. 48 holes if I remember correctly. The drill was a flat belt drive via a car transmission and a big electric motor.
I did learn a lot of machining tricks from the machine shop owner.
David

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
The "shift" over the last thirty or so years in young folks' attitudes away from personal responsibility is well evident. In the early eighties there were still kids with lawn mowers looking for a chance to earn some money. Now they're roaming around like zombies, their "buds" in their ears connected to their cell phones, listening to rap-cr@p and wishing they were "stars" of some description.

A number of the early teens here in th' 'hood with bicycles have NO idea how they work, they come to th' hovel for me to air up their tires, fix their brakes or adjust seats 'n handlebars. No interest in how to do it themselves, no attention to what it takes to make things work. I've lately explained that when I turn on the compressor, TECO charges me money. When I take a wrench out of the box, it had to be paid for at some point. Mostly I get blank stares. Disheartening.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
The "shift" over the last thirty or so years in young folks' attitudes away from personal responsibility is well evident. In the early eighties there were still kids with lawn mowers looking for a chance to earn some money. Now they're roaming around like zombies, their "buds" in their ears connected to their cell phones, listening to rap-cr@p and wishing they were "stars" of some description.

A number of the early teens here in th' 'hood with bicycles have NO idea how they work, they come to th' hovel for me to air up their tires, fix their brakes or adjust seats 'n handlebars. No interest in how to do it themselves, no attention to what it takes to make things work. I've lately explained that when I turn on the compressor, TECO charges me money. When I take a wrench out of the box, it had to be paid for at some point. Mostly I get blank stares. Disheartening.
Sounds like the movie “Grand Torino” with Doc Eastwood :D

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
I remember the shovels and brooms as Mom yelled get the walks cleared and go over to old man sos and so and clear his too. While I am out, might as well do more and make some $. Parents don't make their kids do anything anymore. No learning there. I have met some that are ambitious and like $ and work. Not many though. My thought, if the parent can't do it, how is the youngster going to learn, as he sees Mom and Dad paying someone to do the chores, lawn, sweep walks, etc.

Country flag
Last time we had a shoveler here it was those of us in their 50s and 60s out clearing not only our own but for the 70s and 80s and up in the neighborhood. Not a teen or 20s or older to be seen, other than occasionally at a window watching.

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
What's a snow storm?

Why would I drive 4 to 15 hours to shovel snow?

We used to have a few kids in the neighborhood that mowed lawns, but they grew up and moved away. The only kids we have now are too young.

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
My daughter and son in law got home after the Christmas break to find wet carpet in their basement. Called in a company to dry the carpet on New Years eve and were shocked at the $1000.00 bill.
All the company did was bring in a couple of big fans and a dehumidifier. A shop vac would probable have done the job just as well.
When they bought the house they were told that the sump pump was not working properly and the back up pump was doing all the work.
Did they fix the sump pump?
No "we will do that later" was the answer. Well it is later.
So now she is panicked because there is a crack in the concrete wall and the Foundation expert has quoted $20,000.00 to fix the problem. In the photos it looks like it has been weeping for a long time. Effervescence on the concrete around the crack and a sump pump.

The son in law has no idea about much in the practical field and is leaving it up to the Expert. I went up to visit a couple of years ago to gut their bath room. It had been on the list to do for several years but nothing was happening so I got roped in. Got it done in the weekend.

The next generation is in trouble.

David

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
Shades of the movie, Idiocracy in which the world is in non repair and everything has a button but nobody can do anything in the year 2025. P$, I could not get past the half hour, tried twice.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
My daughter and son in law got home after the Christmas break to find wet carpet in their basement. Called in a company to dry the carpet on New Years eve and were shocked at the $1000.00 bill.
All the company did was bring in a couple of big fans and a dehumidifier. A shop vac would probable have done the job just as well.
When they bought the house they were told that the sump pump was not working properly and the back up pump was doing all the work.
Did they fix the sump pump?
No "we will do that later" was the answer. Well it is later.
So now she is panicked because there is a crack in the concrete wall and the Foundation expert has quoted $20,000.00 to fix the problem. In the photos it looks like it has been weeping for a long time. Effervescence on the concrete around the crack and a sump pump.

The son in law has no idea about much in the practical field and is leaving it up to the Expert. I went up to visit a couple of years ago to gut their bath room. It had been on the list to do for several years but nothing was happening so I got roped in. Got it done in the weekend.

The next generation is in trouble.

David

When I was a volunteer firefighter,our department would come out with
water vacs and clean up - for FREE.

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
I remember the old volunteer depts. I worked our town and yep, pumped, brought ladders or even sprayed to clean up streets etc. Now they have to have hazmat, epa, medical and their evacuation fans don't start on the first pull. Times have changed.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
When I lived and worked in Boston I always shoveled my car as well as a disabled tenant of the building. I always thought that he never knew who shoveled his car.
When I was moving out of my apartment, I found a nice note thanking me.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
We had about 9" of snow,& did not see one kid shoveling it.
I got out & shoveled the piles of snow (from the plows) in front
of our house,so that they could deliver the paper,mail,& pick up
the garbage.Also did the neighbor's walkway,& in front of their
Daughter's van,in case of emergency.She's taking care of her Mother
and Father,who are around 90.Her mother has Alzheimers.

JHaydon

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Back when I lived in snow as an adult, three or four of us with the biggest snowblowers would take turns clearing the sidewalk of the entire block -- or race each other to get it done before the others had their snowsuits on.

My then-GF would literally stand at the front door yelling at me that it wasn't my job. This is the same woman who, during last year's Texas storm, insisted on shoveling neighbors' driveways. Partially because she was stir crazy from a week with no electricity, and partially because we were the only ones who owned snow shovels.

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
Not in our neighborhood. Neither are impressed and only hang out in groups, but not healily mixed. Hear eewws a lot.