• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Minx/Rapier/Gazelle... Humber?

gsalt57tr3

Jedi Warrior
There was an article in our club's newsletter last month. It's a new feature were people send in photos of cars in need of rescue or beyond rescue. A brief history is given for the car and some potential contact information. Its kind of cool.

Anyway, last month's article had a photo of a Hillman Minx, about 1958 sitting beside another version of the car that the author said was badged as a Humber.

I know that the Minx had sisters in the Sunbeam line and the Singer line, but I had never heard of a sister in the Humber line.

The closest thing I can find on Humber websites is the Hawk, but I think thats a little bigger than a Minx.

Anyone have any insight? I will try to post the picture in the morning.

Roger

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Not as early as 1958, but the Humber Sceptre came out in the early 60s based on the Minx platform.

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
What Roger said. It's a Sceptre. Mechanically like th Minx, just a lot more upmarket in terms of appointments.

The Hillman was like a Chevy, the Sunbeam was the sporty marque, as per a Pontiac, and the Humber a Cadillac.

OP
gsalt57tr3

gsalt57tr3

Jedi Warrior

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
The Super Snipe was much larger.

The picture of the Humber Sceptre that you posted is of a later model than the two cars in the other picture. That was based on the later Super Minx.

The convertible is definitely a Minx, the saloon looks to be a facelifted version of the same. Different grille design but it's another Minx.

Here's a photo of another Minx with the same grille:

hillmanminx.jpg

ecurie_ecosse

Luke Skywalker
Yes, definitely two of the same.The converible has an earlier style badge on it too.But it's still a minx. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/jester.gif

Stuart. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif

OP
gsalt57tr3

gsalt57tr3

Jedi Warrior
Thank you one and all

I thought that the super snipe might be a bit too large, but its hard to tell from photos.

Wonder if the owner would take $200US for the two of them?

T

TRDejaVu

Talk of the Sceptre brought back memories as my Father had one; 69 I think. I drove it a couple of times and what a difference in comfort compared to the car I had at that time - a 1962 Mini - my first car. My second car was a Singer Gazelle Estate - got it for 20 pounds and eventually blew a rod out the side of the crankcase.

sunbeammadd

Jedi Hopeful
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I just wondered whether the "Humber" Minx is left or right hand drive. I can't really tell from the photo.

Reason being is that for the New Zealand market only there was a posh version of the Minx called the Humber 80. Just wondered if it could be a private import.