• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Michelin vs Vredestien

TFB

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I will be needing new tires on my TR3 soon.Im getting close to wear bars at 17k but I had the Vredestien 165/80/15 shaved to try and fix a vibration so I cant fault them and like that tire.
My choices seem narrow with another set of Vredestiens 165,or move to the 185,or Michelin vsx 165/80/15.These three choices are close in price with the Michelin 185's getting to costly.
Any feedback appreciated.
Thanks
Tom

Jim_Stevens

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
I went with Vredensteins, and took the new wheels and tires to Hendricks Wire Wheel in Greensboro for fine-tuning. Suggest you drop ship the tires to him and send the wheels to mate up. It was a very worthy investment! Jim

OP
T

TFB

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I went with Vredensteins, and took the new wheels and tires to Hendricks Wire Wheel in Greensboro for fine-tuning. Suggest you drop ship the tires to him and send the wheels to mate up. It was a very worthy investment! Jim
Thanks Jim,I have a local wheel shop ,45min. drive, K&T Vintage in Bethlehem Pa. that balanced and trued my current set of Vredesteins.
Once I decide on a tire I will probably have them balance and hold off on truing until I see how they run.
I am running original 4.5 steelwheels ,no wires ,although a set of mags is still tempting for roundness,not looks
The michelins are about $80-100 cheaper for four and seem the same 165//80/15 size and classic tread look.
I wish I had both tires side by side,or feedback from someone who has run both.
Thanks
Tom

OP
T

TFB

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I googled my initial question and was lead to some old posts on this forum.
On of the things that made the michelin seem like a good possible option besides the size and older style tread was michelins reputation.
Is the michelin still made by them or did coker buy the molds and now produce the tire sold as a michelin?
If this is true as some stated that takes michelins reputation out of the decision process.
I have purchased numerous sets of cokers for vintage motorcycles because they were the only source but their quality isnt great.The MC tires are not even speed rated.Maybe the vsv's are a great tire,but leaning towards the vredesteins if they are not made by advertised brand.
Tom

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I used Michelins on my TR3A for decades, back when. I now have Vreds (165) on my TR4 and they seem fine.

The Vreds 185HR15 is possibly the tire of choice for E-Type drivers if that says anything.

I believe the Vreds are presented as a 'summer tire' which may carry some temperature suggestions -- e.g. do not operate vehicle below (20°F ?).

I have driven them in snow, ice and rain though dry roads whenever possible. Only one flat and that was not the fault of the tire.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
BTW - I believe the Vreds Sprint Classics in 185 15 have been unavailable for some time but a new production run is expected soon and there should be stock available in July. This is second hand info and I have not confirmed because although it is interesting I am not buying my next set for a couple of years.

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I like my Vredensteins Sprints but they are not the current classic compounds that are now available. I bought mine 10 years ago. I need a new tire too as something went wrong in my suspension (TR3) and wore out the front left tire. Been looking for a good used one as I can't find any new ones. Anyway I'd take a good look at the features of the new Vredenstein Classic Sprints. As mentioned it is a warm weather tire and can not be moved under a certain temperature without heating them up to a certain temp for hours or a day. I don't know about you but that's too much measuring and fulling around for me especially if you have to more or use the car right away. As far as the Michelins the consensus over the years is they last a long time, look good but don't handle very well. Hard compound does not flex so doesn't stick to the road very well.

Hamish Racing

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
back in the day my dad loved the michelin XAS on his daimler sp250 but they where too expensive for me when i got my 3a (2016) so i went for the vredestien sprint classics and i love them , very sure footed and very good in the wet
i did a track day at castle combe here in the uk with them and they earned a lot of confidence. they went upon price then there has been a break in manufacturing. if they are still available i wouldn't hesitater in getting them again
don't take my word for it have a look here

OP
T

TFB

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Thanks for all the replys.
It seems the Michelin is a Coker reproduced tire which may be a fine tire but Ill just go with another set of the Vredesteins.
Tom

RJS

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Hey,
For what it's worth, I installed the Vredestein Sprint Classic several years ago. 165/15s. Very happy. Look great, handle great. BTW, I had the wheels off the car last weekend to clean/repaint my wire wheels and as I rolled the tires around the driveway I noticed they were picking up every little stone or twig. Very sticky. Then I looked at the Treadwear Rating - 220. That's like what you'd find on a purpose autocross tire. Michelin's Pilot Sport Cup 2 which is a "Streetable Track & Competition" tire comes in at 180. Most passenger car tires are rated above 500.

Bob

OP
T

TFB

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Yes I like the Vredestiens and got them 7years ago after reading all the recommendations then,same as now.
Interesting about the treadwear rating.I have no sway bars,stock suspension except for urethane bushings.
My first TR3 back in 68 the rear would slide out on a corner taken to fast,now the car sort of hops if I corner to fast.
Tom

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
the car sort of hops if I corner to fast.

Back in the day we used to call that 'The Triumph Trot'.

I live in a city with brick-paved crosswalks. Hit those at speed on a fast turn and the rear just dances around to end up behind you again. Quite fun if you're ready & expecting it.

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
I am glad you are doing the research. I need some also. The news I found is that they are all Corker tires and made in the same place? I hope that is not true. I hope places like Dunlap and Michelin are still independent.

Steve

RGK

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
The news I found is that they are all Corker tires and made in the same place? I hope that is not true.

The Vredestein Sprint Classic is on the Vredestein web site.

OP
T

TFB

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Coker is I beleive a distributor and a manufacturer .
I have bought numerous vintage motorcycle tires reproduced by them that are no longer produced by the original mfgs,like goodyear and firestone.
I beleive the michelins they offer are similar.Produced or subcontracted by them.
I bought my last vredestiens from coker ,made in Holland by Vredestien,but distributed by coker.
Funny my most recent tire purchase a few months ago were some popular HD dunlop american elites,made by goodyear.
PS Hammish,I enjoy your youtube videos
Tom

Jim_Stevens

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
BTW, you can probably get free shipping if you order the same tires from Jegs (they’re even listed as Coker Vredensteins)

mctriumph

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Ya all smoking something? Yokahama 185 /65 /15 . If it rubs at full lock, re-set the lock stop
on the offending wheel. This is the hot lick for all round handling/ride. The fallacy of the high mileage
tire is that because they last a long time its better. Tires that handle poorly in turns and in the wet do
NOT add to my driving experience, God help you when you have to stop suddenly!
Give me softer ,wider tires that get replaced more often(before the belts fail).
MD(mad dog)