• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

T-Series MGTF Xpeg Ignition Coil

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Believe it or not, my TF has its original coil. Just started getting a slight intermediate stumble when the engine is cold beginning at 1500 RPMs but goes away when the engine is up to temperature. My rebuilt carbs are adjusted perfectly, idle is smooth as silk, so the issue is not there. Not being an electronic guru I'm wondering if my old coil could be the culprit. Does the new Lucas coil have the same quality, (or close) to the original? No distributor wobble, new points, and new red rotor. Any clues? PJ

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Paul - my '53 TD had the original coil too. The symptom you describe (slight stumble at 1500 rpm when cold) could be a buildup of moisture in the distributor. How's the humidity situation these days where you live? We have incredible humidity issues here in Connecticut now - condensation on everything until it warms up.

Just my two cents.
Tom M.

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
You could have a point there Tom, we've had high humidity this summer. The car not only sets in a garage but is covered also, but it's not airconditioned so the humidity is still pretty much the same as outside. This is the first time it has happened, but with these cars, nothing is much of a surprise. I'll get it worked out, problem here is, I don't have much time to devote to it right now.

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Funny, speaking of humidity, it just started raining again, actually it pouring with flood watches out everywhere! We are set on high ground, so flooding is not a worry. (y)

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
As I said before, I am not an electronics guru, so, my original coil does not have a ballast resistor but is very old, if I buy a new coil, what is the difference in performance, if any, with a resister or without one? PJ

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Paul - just so we understand ... is your ignition system designed to have an external resistor? or a coil with a built-in ballast? or no ballast?

Running a ballast resistor system without the ballast resistor will likely shorten coil life, but actually increase spark strength.

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Thanks, Tom, but I'm not sure if the coil is supposed to be ballasted or not, I just used the original coil and all was well. But that coil was made in 1955, quite old to say the least and I want to replace it with a new one. Everything else in the system is new or a couple of years old, I haven't put the new old stock condenser in yet as this thing fires right up with ho hesitation, so I suspect the condenser is good??
Can't do much on the car now as my wife is having a sciatic nerve problem and I have to be her right hand until we can get her problem solved, the doctors are working on it.?.? Thanks for getting back on the car. Paul

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Well, sometimes stupidity overrides a little bit of intelligence and common sense, which I found out this morning when doing more checking on the car. I started going through the wires and when I shook the ignition wires all were tight with the exception of the coil wire on the cap which came off in my hand! Found out the connector that screws into the cap was so loose, that it was the reason it fell off. Evidentally while changing the points I loosened the connector enough it would wobble during acceleration and caused all the problems. Human nature to always look for the hardest cause of a situation first than the simplest one! PJ :censored1:
I do want to thank everyone for their input on this, much appreciated!!

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Holy Mackrel, I just checked the price of a replacement coil, supposedly matching the original QA-12 coil on the earlier TF, 95 bucks! But, my coil is an LA-12 as installed on the XPEG engines in 55, so Mosses coil is not a perfect match! I would like to buy a new LA-12 coil, but I'm not sure that's possible unless other models had them and I can find a NOS item. I guess, and I'm only guessing the LA-12 coil came out in 1955??? :rolleyes2:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Paul, have you checked Rimmer Brothers, in England?

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Paul, have you checked Rimmer Brothers, in England?
No, I haven't Doc, but since you mentioned it, I will. But 95 bucks for a $35 dollar (??) coil is a little much! I'll check with Rimmer Bros. plus a couple others. Thanks, Doc, much appreciated! (y) PJ

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Paul - give Abington Spares a call.

See the coils they have for T models here:

They can direct you if they dont' have what you need. They were always helpful when I had my TD.
800-225-0251

Tom M.

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Rimmer Bros. doesn't have one listed, Abingdon Spares has a replacement for 90 bucks but not the LA-12 coil. I'll keep looking, sooner or later one might pop up, even a used one if it's not beat up and works. :patriot:

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Paul - give Abington Spares a call.

See the coils they have for T models here:

They can direct you if they dont' have what you need. They were always helpful when I had my TD.
800-225-0251

Tom M.
Tom, Thanks, Abingdon Spares has a replacement, but I'm sure it isn't a copy of a Lucas LA-12. To get one I'll probably have to get a used one if available. Mine works, but I'd like a spare. PJ

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Not sure how important originality is but I now swear by these - Bosch Blue Coil - transmormed the Midget. Google it if you are interested there is something like 5 different Bosch Blue Coils and this is the good one. This is also what Jeff Schlemmer sells when he has them in stock.

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Thanks, JP but at the present time, I'm looking for a Lucas LA-12 as a spare, the same that's on the car now and came with the car when new.
I previously bought a coil from Summit Racing but sent it back.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Thanks, Tom, I'm going to check with Hugh Pite up in Canada. Hugh has more TF parts than anyone I know and it's just possible he has an original LA-12 coil. I have a couple of MGB coils that are good, but I don't want to change the plug wires to use one of them, I would like to keep the screw in connectors on the original wires.

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I bought a backup coil, it's a Lucas only because it has the screw-in coil wire center. Looks the same as the original, for whatever that's worth. I'm going to check the original, with the original bracket, clean the old paint off and shelve it for now. PJ