• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

T-Series MGTF 5 Speed Conversion

CCURTISS

Jedi Hopeful
I have been looking at the Moss 5 speed conversion for my wife's TF, has anyone done a Moss 5 speed or another 5 speed kit on a TF?

I have a few questions and I also want to make sure there are no other options before I do the Moss kit.

Thanks!

bill_young

Jedi Warrior
Glenn, I've seen several posts on the Moss Forum https://www.mossmotors.com/Forum/ from guys that have installed the 5 speed kit in TDs and all were positive. It appears to be well engineered and set up as a bolt in with no damage to the car so it is completely reversable. Not cheap, but from what I've heard really makes the car more drivable. That's also the feedback from a couple of guys who have done the Moss kit in MGAs as well.

jessebogan

Jedi Knight
I had to straighten one out on a TD. It had been "sorta" installed by another shop. Since I had not put it in in the first place, I had a couple of conversations with the Moss tech staff.They were helpful,and pretty good about getting the needed parts. I think that the floorboards need to be trimmed, and the metal "Inner rails" by the trans tunnel also need to be cut back.There are braces that attach to the crossmember to hold the inner edges of the floor up. The people who butchered in this mans kit, left them out, and Moss could not supply them at that point. I fabbed up something that worked OK.All in all, it seems that it is an OK kit, and it helps the car cruise a lot better in modern traffic. What do you want to know, maybe I can help.

OP
CCURTISS

CCURTISS

Jedi Hopeful
jessebogan said:
I had to straighten one out on a TD. It had been "sorta" installed by another shop. Since I had not put it in in the first place, I had a couple of conversations with the Moss tech staff.They were helpful,and pretty good about getting the needed parts. I think that the floorboards need to be trimmed, and the metal "Inner rails" by the trans tunnel also need to be cut back.There are braces that attach to the crossmember to hold the inner edges of the floor up. The people who butchered in this mans kit, left them out, and Moss could not supply them at that point. I fabbed up something that worked OK.All in all, it seems that it is an OK kit, and it helps the car cruise a lot better in modern traffic. What do you want to know, maybe I can help.

Jesse,
Thanks for the reply, I was trying to get an idea of how long it takes to install the kit. Moss claims the only cutting is to the trans cross mount and I wanted to see if it was really just a bolt in in real life. I hate making a modification where I can not easly bring the car back to origional. Heaing about having to cut floor borads concerns me a bit.