• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGC MGC rolling chassis on Craigslist

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
What a great read Tony, thanks for posting that.
I know I have read it before, but it's good to go back & read again. That's the kind of information I need to see again and again, to remind me of all those important points. Especially before going out to look at a car!

Yesterday I removed an 8 foot section of fence and put in 7/16 carriage bolts to pin it in place. Now I can drive or push a car through either into or out of the back of my property.

With the Midget being our only running car at the moment my wife had to use it yesterday to take our oldest daughter to the doctors office. What with having a meeting of the NW MG club to go to afterwards I didn't get out to see the MGC tub. I'm going to do that today after work.

Knowing I could pull it apart and turn a profit on ebay makes the buying decision easier.
Having Chuck offer to deliver it to my home - Priceless! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
RickB said:
Well Tony, I'm going to have to discover your secret of how you support this LBC habit of yours.

Here I am with a Midget, an MGC-GT and soon a C roadster and I have no idea how I'm going to get everything I need to complete them.

Not to mention how I'm going to put together a proper shop.

If you have a secret (and clearly you do) I think it's high time that you go on tour and hold some seminars. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Or write a book /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif
I believe part of his "secret" is to make the habit support him to some extent. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/iagree.gif

Yes, and my hats off to Tony!

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
Hmmm...

Well I went & saw it.

Interesting the chassis number, I believe it was 5734.
My 69 MGC is 7651. His other 69 MGC is 7741.

Seems like 5734 is a lot earlier than either of these other 69's - I'm wondering about the year of this car now.

That being said - who knows if fenders from a roadster would fit onto a GT? I was looking at them, they are not as badly rusted as mine. However the top where it meets the windshield looks different.

I can't really think of anything on the car I can use on mine, so I guess it wouldn't make much of a donor after all.
Weird stuff though, like one side of the rear axle was splined for a wire wheel and the other side had a bolt type hub. The best of the body was definitely the rear, not perfect of course but not too bad.

The dash was almost free of cracks, just one 2 1/2 inch crack in the right corner of the instrument area.

There's not much holding it together underneath.

They said another person is interested in it, so I'm going to let it go.

Roadster front wings are different than GT front wings.

MGB and MGC wings are interchangable.

My 1969 MGC is car number 6165.

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
Thanks Rick, so I suppose 5700's could easily be '69.
Right, I believe I already knew that about the wings but didn't remember.

I could probably take the car and disassemble it and try to sell the parts, but all the 'nice' parts are already stripped and gone.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
'69 was the change point for front fender parking light locations...late-'69 parking lights were close to the grille opening, early-'69 parking lights are farther away from the grille opening.

GT fenders will not fit on roadsters & vice versa.

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
What about years - I know 69 BGT fenders will fit the 69 CGT - but will any other years work as well?
Thanks!

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Any year GT fender will fit any other year GT - but thereare minor differences such as parking light placement & side marker light holes or no side marker light holes.

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
Wow, I did not know that!
Thanks again Tony!

tony barnhill said:
Any year GT fender will fit any other year GT - but thereare minor differences such as parking light placement & side marker light holes or no side marker light holes.

Remember...there is a variance in the front wings with the rubber bumpered models compared to the chrome bumpered models...some alterations would be needed for this interchange.

Not so important in North America with ~about~ 1249 GTs being brought over...but could effect those in Europe and Australia, etc.

Steve_S

Yoda
The differences in GT fenders include side lamp mounting (early cars did not have them), turn signal assembly placement (later cars moved inward 2-inches) and major differences between chrome bumper and rubber bumper. You can interchange them but it's easier to find the correct year part than to modify them.

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
Thanks guys, that does help a lot.
Basically I just need to not where the holes (factory - not the custom weathered holes) are on my fenders and then only get ones that match.
Or find a nice 69 MGC GT body somewhere...

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Country flag
As for how to support your habit......start with a red (or maybe BRG) paperclip.....you can get almost anything if you start with a paperclip....

Did anyone else see that story about the guy who turned a red paperclip into a house?

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
Yes, I saw the one with the paperclip.

I went over to British Auto Wreckers in Seattle today.
They have an MGC GT tub. Not a rolling tub.
They are going to work up a package deal for me and let me know the price in about a week.

It had solid inner fenders, rockers, floor, back fenders.
There was rust, but I didn't see any cancer.
It was full of "C" stuff, which will go with the tub.

He's going to clean it out this week and see how rusty the passenger side is and then let me know.