• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB MGB Wheels and offset

Newkie

Jedi Trainee
Hey, I am sure the offset of an aftermarket wheel is somewhere in the forum, but I could not find it.
Can someone please give an offset that would work on a MGB.
I found some wheels other than the ever so popular mini/super lights that I liked.
Not alot of 14" wheels to be had.
Heres the link, so let me know what you think. I am worried that the opening in the wheel is too much. Its one thing to see a nice disc brake, but another to see a dirty old drum.

web page

Also while I have you reading, what used wheels would fit on the MGB without alot of difficulty. ex:shims etc.
I heard datsun and maybe toyota wheels fit with the correct offset and bolt pattern.

Thanks everyone, and have a great upcoming Thanksgiving holiday.

Newkie

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Broad range of wheels there - first thing might be to decide 14" or 15"

My favorite are Carroll Shelby 15" Saab Turbo wheels (minilite look-alikes)

re:
PRI-78646083-A
14x5.5 4x4.5
Offset High (35 to 40)
Hyper Silver $67.00

Those are NICE looking wheels....but....

They are designed for a front-wheel-drive vehicle. That offset will place the wheel WAY to the inside of the wheel well, perhaps fouling the rear bumbstops, the front suspension, etc, if used without spacers and/or some blows placed by a BFH. I *believe* the offset to the stock RoStyle is about +28mm (I *may* be wrong...I do not have any reference material in front of me.)

Datsun 280Z (early Datsuns, 1969 through 1978) wheels have the correct offset and lug pattern, as do some Saabs. There may be others out there...don't know what they would be off hand.

This does not mean that you cannt use these wheels...it will just take a little extra effort on your part to do it safely and correctly.

I'm sure that others can chime in.

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
"British Motoring" recommends a +22mm Offset. The wheels you're looking at have a 35 to 40mm offset, too much offset for use on a B without having to add about 1/2 an inch in spacers. You may be able to get away with using less offset, but you'd have to watch the tire/fender clearance closely.

I was just looking through their wheel types, and it seems that they tend to cater to front drive cars. 90% of their wheels are all "high" offset in the range of 35mm to 40mm some going even higher. I did see that some of their 20"+ wheels are "low" offset but those only went 0 to 15mm; most likely intended for pickups and SUVs is my bet.

Nissan/Datsun 280z wheels have the proper bolt pattern 4x4.5" (4x114.3mm), and the back spacing is close'ish to what we need on MGBs, but it seems to be difficult to find "modern" wheels for those too. Early Nissan ('89-'93) 240SX wheels also fit, as long as you get the correct back spacing. I was just glancing over some Nissan 240SX forums, and apparently those 240SX's have huge fender wells because I see offsets running from +20 to +50... It should be a lot easier to find wheels for a 240SX, since that car prolly accounts for 25% of the boiracer drifter crowd. If you allow yourself to go with 15x5.5 or 15x6 inch wheels the search won't be so difficult either.

OP
Newkie

Newkie

Jedi Trainee
I would love to hold on to the 14" tires I have. They have less than 500 miles on them.
So, if I can find something in that size, I am that much more ahead.
Let me know if you find a good site for either the 280z or 240sx wheels.

Newkie

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
those are nice

OP
Newkie

Newkie

Jedi Trainee
Will the offset on the ZX wheels be fine then? I have 185/60/14's so how about the tire size also.
Off hand, whats the width on the Rostyles? 5 1/2? 6?

Thanks

Newkie

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
Rostyles are 5.5" wide

OP
Newkie

Newkie

Jedi Trainee
Well, I was out bid on the wheels at the last second. So if someone sees something similar out there or, I would appreciate it, I am still looking.

Newkie

I just received a catalog from "Motorsport" that specializes in Datsun 240Z through Nissan 350ZX performance and specialty parts.

It has some nice wheels in it.

Their website(s):

www.zcarparts.com
www.thezstore.com
www.350Zsource.com (not much use to the MGB enthusiast)

Contact phone is 800-633-6331

Standard disclaimer of no financial interest.

Superlite 14 x6" are available in 24 mm positive offset and that works well on a MGB, in fact alot of people only get 18mm pos. , so with that in mind on a 5.5" wide wheel 35-40 pos. offset, it's way too much, might get them to work with some wheel spacers but that's a pretty big if.

OP
Newkie

Newkie

Jedi Trainee
https://www.zparts.com/ads/wheels/wheels_fs.html
Hey check out these wheels from zparts.com and tell me what you think. I still seem to like the 6 spoke z wheels wfs-54, but there are others too. Give me some feed back. They have a letter wfs and a number next to each wheel. Just reference them that way. I also like the simple but clean wfs-59.
Anyways, maybe this will help me narrow my search. Prices seem to be anywhere from $200-250

Newkie

jjbunn

Jedi Knight
[ QUOTE ]
https://www.zparts.com/ads/wheels/wheels_fs.html
Hey check out these wheels from zparts.com and tell me what you think. I still seem to like the 6 spoke z wheels wfs-54, but there are others too. Give me some feed back. They have a letter wfs and a number next to each wheel. Just reference them that way. I also like the simple but clean wfs-59.
Anyways, maybe this will help me narrow my search. Prices seem to be anywhere from $200-250

Newkie

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting! The Enkai Apaches on that site:
DCP_0426rw1.jpg

are very similar to the Rikens on my '73 GT

281955433_9b8610dd94_m.jpg

The reason I'm interested is that I am missing the spare, so have been searching for the same wheel for a while. (The tires are 195/70SR14).

The Enki's have way less "spokes" than your Rikens do.

Yep...I count 16 "pair" compared to 20 in the picures provided above.

jjbunn

Jedi Knight
[ QUOTE ]
The Enki's have way less "spokes" than your Rikens do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes! I hadn't noticed that. Also, they are gold, and not black, although that is less of a problem :smile:

16 to 20 was what I counted also. And the center section has a rosette on the enki's that the riken's don't have.

Also, the rims end is way thicker on the Enki's... My opinion, is that the Enki's wouldn't look even close - even if you painted the centers to match.

OP
Newkie

Newkie

Jedi Trainee
I found these 15"x 6" wheels. What do you think of these once cleaned up. I hear they are pretty rare, being that they were only offered on the 81' 280zxt. I dont know the offset or backspacing is, but maybe one of you out there can conclude that these would fit.
Thanks

Newkie

P.S. Still looking... web page