• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB MGB Rear Disc Brake Conversions

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
The subject was brought up on another site about rear disc brake conversions for MGBs. I have no interest in this company, but in case anyone is interested, a company called Scarebird Classic Brakes in Washington has one. Their web site is www.scarebird.com /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif PJ

I just saw the price. $235.00 Not bad! Just added photo.

Steve_S

Yoda
Rear disc brakes really don't offer much of an advantage. Typically they are as heavy if not heavier than drum brakes once you factor in the mounting brackets, parking brake, etc. The performance increase is also minimal unless you're in a racing situation where the brakes are really hot all the time. And even then, the fronts are the ones that take most of the abuse.

Rear brakes do very little as far as actually stopping the car. They only need to be easily modulated and not overheat. Personally I feel the cost and effort of a rear disc modification are not worth the very minimal gains. But it's a good project for those "tinkerers" who can't leave their car alone! Me, I'd rather spend the money on gasoline and rubber! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
... But it's a good project for those "tinkerers" who can't leave their car alone! ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Color me there! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Rear disc brakes also have the added benefit of not needing to be adjusted periodically, which is a plus in my book. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
that's 4 minutes I can use to stick coat hangers into various MGB orifices... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I'm with Steve. Both ends lock up at about the same point, how much more "braking" do ya need?!?

If you get 'em glowin' red-hot when ya drive, there'd be an argument for the change. Otherwise it's an engineering exercise with YOU payin' for the experimentation.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P

DART

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Tony- I think you have just saved me some major $$....THANK YOU!!
I'm not willing to go give up the rear wheel disks on the SP just to get the rear axle replaced, and this makes the available MG unit seem like the way to go. Then I wil only have to convert it to wires. Anywhere on your site for that??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
[ QUOTE ]
Then I wil only have to convert it to wires.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just use an MGB wire wheel rear end!

Oh, "we aim to please, suh!"

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Did mine for half that (not including the park brake which his kit doesn't have) with off-the-shelf Advance Auto parts!

[/ QUOTE ]

Tony, In Scarebirds photos of their MGB conversion it shows that it comes with the E brake calipers in place. But it also shows it on a disc wheel axle. Not knowing if that makes a difference on their setup for wire wheels. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif PJ

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Lemme go look at their site....
The setup I built should work on disc or wire - but I'm not marketing it for legal reasons...that's why I gave all the Advance Auto parts numbers & the brackets are real simple to machine.

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Photo added to first post.PJ

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
hehehehe...wonder where they got that idea? Here's my entire bracketry setup...the Witwood park brake with its bracket is on the tgp, the Saab caliper bracket is on the bottom - 'cept mine's much lighter than theirs - & my main caliper also goeson the front & park caliper on thew rear so it mates to original cable! & still under $500!

rearbracket02.JPG