• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB overdrive for triumph?

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Or if you need some extra weight in the boot for that snowy drive to the ski slopes?

I suppose that sideplate is installed upside down -- anyway, I just noticed that MOWOG spelled backwards & upside down is 'Go Mow'.

BRSLimited

Jedi Trainee
Anything is possible with enough work. I know a guy with a 57 MGA with a Triumph A type trans in it. Kind of a weird setup and the shifter is in a bad location but seems to work ok.

OP
John_Mc

John_Mc

Jedi Knight
Country flag
In my original post, I didn't mean to imply that I was wondering if the whole transmission could be adapted, only the OD portion. Wouldn't it be similar to the one used on a TR6 or 4? It was pointed out that the OD unit appears to have come from a Volvo originally. I knew there was some interchangeability and I thought going from Volvo to MG might be a bigger jump than going from MG to TR.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I know at least some MGB used a LH-type OD, which was never fitted to Triumphs. Since that OD does not appear to be an A-type or J-type, which were the only ones fitted to 'big' Triumphs, most likely it is an LH.

So I believe, at the very least, you would have to fabricate a mainshaft and adapter housing to fit it to a TR gearbox. Within the realm of possibility, certainly, but not easy. Whether an LH would stand up to the torque of a 2.5L is a different question.

If you're interested in such a challenging project; it might be more interesting to adapt an auto box from a 82 Supra. Only 4 speeds, but the lockup torque converter and .688 overdrive should produce excellent performance. Even more interesting would be the later Supra box with electronic controls (making it much easier to reprogram on the fly).

cheseroo

Jedi Trainee
There is a pic in the ad showing the OD serial plate and it shows it as being an LH.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
cheseroo said:
There is a pic in the ad showing the OD serial plate and it shows it as being an LH.
Ah, so it does. I neglected to scroll down that far, didn't realize there was more than one photo.

BrainFart.gif

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
John - I don't think any of us meant to be smart-a%%, just being humorous in that unfortunatley there is not any practical way to use it on a TR.

Sorry if any of us came across wrong.

cheseroo

Jedi Trainee
I know Volvo used the J-types in their cars and the J-type is what was in the later TR6s. I don't believe they used the LH types (like the one in the MGB ad). When I saw the pic I thought it kind of looked like a J-type. I believe Randall is right that you'd probably need to do something with the mainshaft to make it work. There is an eccentric on the mainshaft that drives the OD oil pump and then splines on the end of the shaft that provides the input into the OD. A bearing surface or two as well. I get what you were after, a cheap OD for your 6 but I think this would be the most expensive cheap OD you could go with.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
The J types in the Volvo still need a different mount , or something to use in a TR IIRC, and I usually don't

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I'm not sure about the mount, but there are definitely some "or somethings" Don. Check out John Esposito's site, ISTR he actually sells conversion kits to use the Volvo OD on a TR.

BTW, not all Volvo ODs are J-type. I have a PDF of the Volvo service manual for an LH type OD.

HerronScott

Darth Vader
Here's a Volvo J-Type for sale on eBay if anyone needs one. Unfortunately would still need to source the TR adapter plate, overdrive mainshaft, top cover, rear mount, wiring, relay, switch, etc. :smile:

eBay Volvo J-type overdrive

Regarding the MGB overdrive transmission, boy does that look like a long transmission compared to the Triumph ones. Interesting where the shifter mechanism is located as well (sorry my only rear exposure has been to TR and Spitfire transmissions).

Scott