• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Merry late Christmas to me

MCNX_BFF

Good Morning, 'Rumphers!
Well, it seems that Santa needed a little assistance this year as Christmas came and went and I was left without what I wanted most--a car stereo. :cry: I was, BTW, very confused as I KNOW I had been a very good girl in 2010. (I'm thinking it may have fallen off the sleigh) So I helped Santa out by ordering this...
Retrosoundarrived.jpg
:banana:
It just arrived last night and I can't wait to have it installed, Based on the tiny dimensions of the unit, it should fit flush against the console which is an issue with most stereo as the mounting depth in Wedges with aircon is minimal. I can't wait! I will be sure to post some pix once it is in. Thanks for reading, it's not often that I get to "share" good news on here--usually just problems that you are gracious enough to help me with! Have a sensational day!
Oh, one more thing....if you happen to know my DH, don't mention this to him as he still has not love for Spidey. What he doesn't know won't hurt his wallet. :laugh: LOL.--Monica

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Ah, so I see it's not only the guys who have their predilection for keeping car purchases from their better halves! :wink:

I look forward to hearing how this fits, as I reversed the mounting spot and the switch panel in the TR8 that Brosky bought from me in order to fit the unit I had. More importantly, though, I'm curious to how it performs, compared to some of the "name brands" out there.

:cheers:
Mickey

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Monica,

Good to see you post again.

- Doug

J

johnmanske

It looks great. Hopefully, it will sound equally as well.

Regarding DH. . . "What webs we weave when we aim to deceive"

It was not more expensive than a three year gym membership was it?

Juan

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
That's a nice looking unit Monica. I saw one of those at Day of Triumph last year in a TR6, but never heard is play. It did look good though.

After all of Mickey's hard work, I think that I've turned the radio on twice in the car. Once to prove to my wife that it worked and another time to check the weather.

Other than that, I listen to the beautifully mellow exhaust and loving sound of a 4bbl Holley at WOT....

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Brosky said:
Other than that, I listen to the beautifully mellow exhaust and loving sound of a 4bbl Holley at WOT....

It IS nice, ain't it? :thumbsup:

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Holley are that sluggish that you can actually obtain WOT.
Mine gets to scary at just 3/4's :devilgrin:

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
DNK said:
Holley are that sluggish that you can actually obtain WOT.
Mine gets to scary at just 3/4's :devilgrin:

What's fun is when the secondaries kick in...

Oh, WAIT! Yours is FI, right? Do they do that?

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
While your waiting for your secondaries to kick in I'm 1/8th mile past and 2 sifts later

John_Mc

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Let us know how it sounds when you get it in. I was looking at some of those modern retro radios and would like to install one if sound quality is good. Where did you purchase yours?

OP
MCNX_BFF

MCNX_BFF

Mickey Richaud said:
... as I reversed the mounting spot and the switch panel in the TR8 that Brosky bought from me in order to fit the unit I had.
Mickey
How very "Odd" of you to do that. :wink: I thought it was a very clever solution and think it looks great!Soooomeday, maybe I can do that (or have that done to) Beastie.
Thanks, Doug, I'm glad to be back. I had missed you guys--informative and entertaining. BTW, the white 7 is STILL in that lot. Ugh. :nonod:
Juan, Juan, Juan...Headlock and noogies for you!
grin.gif
This is not deceiving, rather it is postponing the gratification of watching the veins on DH's forehead bulge and smoke billow out of his ears (think: Elmer Fudd when angry :madder: ) Besides, tangled webs are what Spiders do best, no? Heehee.
The hampsters under the bonnet rarely make much of a raucus, Guys. Don and Paul, I am rightfully jealous, you kow that, right? I am hoping the sound is good. This stereo is a bit more powerful than what was already there and I am playing with the idea of putting in a little something behind the seat to bring the sound up a bit more. Nothing crazy, but I do like to hear my music with the top down and at speed. John MC, I purchased it from Retro Radio but I have also seen it through Vicky B. The company is out of Chico and are very friendly and helpful. I will be sure to post a few pix and report out. Probably finishing up installation right now! Yay!!!--Monica

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Monica,

The radio will be fine as it is, I'm sure. One of the the biggest problems people have is putting in HUGE speakers when the new smaller units will do wonders for putting QUALITY sound in your ears. Try it with your stock speakers up front (if that is what you have and consider a small set for the rear if you are not happy with those.

And Don, there is no hesitation in my secondary's since Woody has tweaked it a bit. Not that there ever was, but I assure that there is none now. Pedal to the metal and WOT. A little wheel spinning just for fun.........

I was spoiled with the triple carbs coming wide open right away on the TR6, so I made sure the TR8 sounds just the same way.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
MCNX_BFF said:
Mickey Richaud said:
... as I reversed the mounting spot and the switch panel in the TR8 that Brosky bought from me in order to fit the unit I had.
Mickey
How very "Odd" of you to do that. :wink: I thought it was a very clever solution and think it looks great!Soooomeday, maybe I can do that (or have that done to) Beastie.

Odd, indeed! Wouldn't have known to try it without his input.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Brosky said:
And Don, there is no hesitation in my secondary's since Woody has tweaked it a bit. Not that there ever was, but I assure that there is none now. Pedal to the metal and WOT. A little wheel spinning just for fun.........

I was spoiled with the triple carbs coming wide open right away on the TR6, so I made sure the TR8 sounds just the same way.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Paul, you're fortunate to have Woody so close. He was invaluable to me when I was putting that thing together. Glad it's in your and his hands!

JodyFKerr

Jedi Knight
As was mentioned earlier, good quality small speakers work really well. Get some good ones up front. If you need to go the amplifier route, you can get amazing sound out of less than 1000watts.

I rigged a system for my Jensen Healey (which is similar size-wise to the wedge). I picked a good midrange speaker for the front with a separate tweeter. The tweeter was placed up high just inside the corner of the winshield.

There are some nice amplifiers that don't require the fans and clearance that the cheaper ones do. The one I tested (can't remember the name) used it's case as a massive heatsync so there was no fan.

Finally, I added a small box across the back with 6" speakers. I initially tested 10" but they were WAY much. Based on the Wedge layout I believe that a pair of hanging boxes behind the seat on the vinyl backing wall (providing you're not too tall) would work best. The shelf in the back is simply too small.

Finally, soundproofing is very important, even more so if you have wobbly body panels.

OP
MCNX_BFF

MCNX_BFF

Brosky said:
Monica,
The radio will be fine as it is, I'm sure. One of the the biggest problems people have is putting in HUGE speakers when the new smaller units will do wonders for putting QUALITY sound in your ears. Try it with your stock speakers up front (if that is what you have and consider a small set for the rear if you are not happy with those.

Paul, that is basically where I am sitting right now. My goal isn't to be heard a block away thumpin' down the road,just to improve from what it was. My fingers are crossed that simply changing out this stereo will do that. If not, I will be right back here seeking counsel from the guys in the know. Thank you all!

Clay, I had read the thread about the Subie woofer, but I am not sure about it under the seat. I like the little Alpine one that Stevie in the UK has right behind the driver's seat.We will cross that bridge when we get to it. :smile: --Monica

PeterK

Yoda
If you want to hear bass, then you've got to move air. Bigger speakers move more air than little ones. That why people use subwoofers. Even the little 7" Clarion stuck under a seat won't move much air. Depends on what you want.

That Retrosound has 4 channel outputs so you can bypass it's amplifier section and add a real power amp to add some punch. But use at least 2 bigger speakers that are capable of fairly low frequencies (if you want bass.) I think that the Retro is a good unit especially since it has the pre-amp outs. But for a LBC, it's probably not necessary to use separates.

That said, I have a vintage Kenwood shaft-style cassette deck in my 3A. The pre-amp outs go to a power amp hidden in the trunk, and I run JBL component (separate woofer and tweeter) speakers behind the seats. Still nearly impossible to hear music while driving. An IPOD and good earbuds would have been better, cheaper, and easier <- don't get to say that often.

disclaimer: I HATE the sound of Bose speakers (and they RELY on a subwoofer in their designs.)