• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Masters of the Air

Country flag
Anybody watching Masters of the Air on Apple TV? Watched the first episode, thought it was decent. The cinematography(?) is pretty good. Lots of CGI I'm sure, especially for the aircraft.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Yep - new episode is supposed to be out today; will watch it later this evening.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Will see the first episode later today. Hope it's not just Hollywoodized realism for entertainment purposes. As archivist for the 58th Bomb Wing, I've developed a sensitivity to some modern WW2 productions. What those young men went through during the war in the air was almost unbelievable. Breathing oxygen from a mask, while trying to stand up and handle .30 and .50 cal machine guns, in an unheated, unpressurized -40F interior, while the a/c bounces through flak-filled air often being attacked by German Luftwaffe in total darkness - horror.

TM

Last edited:

ckeithjordan

Jedi Trainee
Silver
Country flag
I‘ve watched 3 episodes now and my opinion is that it’s very good. From my understanding, there are no actual flying aircraft in the series, two mock-ups were built with engines for ground scenes, the rest is CGI. The speed of encounter with German aircraft echoes Tom’s comments about the inherent difficulties and horrors. Episode 3 brings home the idea that everyone is vulnerable up there.

maynard

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
I don't have apple tv. Is there any other legal way to watch it?.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
You can try Apple TV for seven days for free, and watch Masters of the Air in that seven days. No guarantee that you can see all the episodes in that seven days tho'.

ckeithjordan

Jedi Trainee
Silver
Country flag
You should be able see them all in the “free week” once they’ve all been released, which is 6 more weeks (3 already release, 6 more at one a week).

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
Will see the first episode later today. Hope it's not just Hollywoodized realism for entertainment purposes. As archivist for the 58th Bomb Wing, I've developed a sensitivity to some modern WW2 productions. What those young men went through during the war in the air was almost unbelievable. Breathing oxygen from a mask, while trying to stand up and handle .30 and .50 cal machine guns, in an unheated, unpressurized -40F interior, while the a/c bounces through flak-filled air often being attacked by German Luftwaffe in total darkness - horror.

TM
In gave this post a” thumbs-up”, but that does not suffice. Thank you for the reminder - of how great our lives are, thanks to the incredible suffering of those who fought, and continue to fight, to defend it.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Would be nice if at some point they release this on physical media for those of us who are interested but unable to obtain broadband internet.

Agree with you 101%! And I was really ticked off when Netflix ended the DVD rental system with thousands of titles, but continued only the streaming service with a much smaller catalogue.

yeesh

Last edited:
Country flag
So bean counter I'm sure said it wasn't worth the cost of fewer and fewer dvd sales to continue making them. Most places round here that sold dvds have stopped or have very few available alongside other stuff

YakkoWarner

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
So bean counter I'm sure said it wasn't worth the cost of fewer and fewer dvd sales to continue making them. Most places round here that sold dvds have stopped or have very few available alongside other stuff

I'm sure there truth in that statement, but the bean counters probably live in an area that is allowed broadband internet. Although an extra $5 bucks or so for a physical disk would not be outrageous to offset the extra cost, or I'd be just as happy if they would sell me a USB stick with the content (which in reality probably would cost more than a DVD to make). I don't really care what the actual media is.

OP
S
Country flag

TM
They do capture all of those things pretty well so far. We are only watching one episode at a time because it is pretty intense. The cold, the need for oxygen, the flak, watching the other planes go down and the helplessness of it all is captured what seems to be fairly accurately.

Basil

Administrator
Boss
I know what you mean, the remake years ago of Memphis Belle was an insult to those guys in the crew and airmen overall. Saw it the one time, not again.
Are you talking about the 1990 version with Mathew Modine, Eric Stoltz, and Billy Zane, Harry Connick Jr? Or was there another "remake?" I liked the 1990 version.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
It's a shame for us. we have Netflix, and HBO, but not Apple, so for now we can't receive it. :censored:

Country flag
Are you talking about the 1990 version with Mathew Modine, Eric Stoltz, and Billy Zane, Harry Connick Jr? Or was there another "remake?" I liked the 1990 version.
Yep that one. Thing is I expected it to be more correct realism. For example oxygen masks off at one point for the waist gunners I believe it was at altitude. I guess I was expecting something more like a documentary.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Story behind the story: Just watched the documentary, The Bloody Hundredth, on Apple TV. I've watched all episodes so far of Masters, based on these stories - fascinating.