• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Mass DMV

JImEgan

This applies more to you Mass residents.
I am going to reregister my GT6 after being off the road for 21 years. I do not have the original registration, but I do know what the plate number was. It was orginally registered in Mass. I have documentation of insurance for the car.
Any help/war stories would be appreciated.

Jim

OP
J

JImEgan

Yes, I have owned it uninterrupted since 1977. It was registered to me.

Jim

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Then should be no problem. If you have pics while it is being re done you might want to bring along.

Bob Claffie

Jedi Knight
Country flag
In Mass the DMV are looking for the chain of ownership and there are several ways to show it. Prior registration, Excise tax receipt, or a previous insurance policy come to mind. Any "legal" document connecting you to the car is OK. Not sure a vintage photo would cut it. Maybe even a repair receipt (if it references the car by plate # or S/N. Bob

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Bob, the reason I say bring photos of it being redone is that in WA. I was asked why it was off the road and needed proof

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Jim,

Do you have the title for the car? No title or bill of sale, no getting it registered. I just went through this in Milford for my TR8. I had the Tennessee title, bill of sale and the registration, so I was all set. I had a MA new title in the mail in 32 days.

The forms are all on line at Mass RMV and they tell you exactly what you will need to bring.

I filled mine all out on line, printed them and the girls were very happy when I got there. You should be able to get it all done in one shot, except that you will have to go back to get the plates if you order vanities.

EDIT: If you do NOT have the original title and you can show proof of insurance and ownership, now would be the time to apply for a new title.

You will need a RMV-1 form signed AND stamped by your insurance agent stating the policy info and attesting that it is insured.

OP
J

JImEgan

No title or bill of sale. all that disappeared over the years. They were together with the 1989 registration.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Paul, the car was registered to him in the past that's why I told him to bring pics of the rebuild.Should be able to reregister it

HerronScott

Darth Vader
Not sure about Mass. but in Virginia, you'd apply for a replacement title since they should still have you listed as the owner. Then you can apply for new registration for it.

Scott

booley

Jedi Trainee
Jim, I'm guessin' that you will have an even easier time than Paul did because you are still the same owner as when it was last registered. Not sure how far back their records go, but that car's VIN should still come up with your name on it.
p.s. when are we gonna see some more pics?

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Booley, mine could not have been any easier, because I had everything. I looked up what I needed and Mickey sent me everything, so mine was simple. It also all depends who you get at the window when you show up.

If it were me, I would check the RMV site and if possible, apply for a replacement title at the same time. It's better to have that anyhow and you will within a few weeks. If you can process the license info at the same time it is a bonus, but you MUST have your insurance company STAMP and SIGN the RMV-1 form or you will NOT get very far in the process. A letter from them stating that they have insured the car for you all along will be a big help in getting that new title.

Bob Claffie

Jedi Knight
Country flag
If you all remember way back when, Ma has not always been a title state. In fact when they started issuing titles, titles for "older" cars was an option. There may not be an original title so possibly no sense asking to have one reissued. As I stated above some chain of ownership is mandatory in some manner or fashion. Perhaps their records DO go back far enough to pull up his previous registration, if so that should be enough. Sure, he could have sold the car and just now repurchased it, then he would need an explanation why the gap. Bob

OP
J

JImEgan

Thanks for the advise. There is info in each post that will help me register the car.
Bob, I believe you are right. I don't remember ever having a title for the car when I first bought it in 1977.
Paul, I had forgotten about the RMV-1. I am going with Sacchetti Ins.

I also have paperwork from the insurance adjuster stating the reason for the original removal from the road, namely that some pondscum pored sand into the oil filler cap and ruined the engine.

Booley,Will have some more pics this week

Rhodyspit75

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Jim if you are using Sacchetti Ins , I would ask them for advice. I have found them to be as much car guy's as car insurers.