Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Hey Guest! British Car Forum has been supporting enthusiasts for over 25 years by providing a great place to share our love for British cars. You can support our efforts by upgrading your membership for less than the dues of most car clubs. There are some perks with a member upgrade!
**Upgrade Now** (PS: Upgraded members don't see this banner, nor will you see the Google ads that appear on the site.)
Major engine failure a week ago Saturday. The picture pretty much says it all.
Looking for leads to a replacement 1275 block around the Portland Oregon area.
Gary,
You need to see what you can salvage since you will probably need much more than a block. When mine (MGB) let go everything but the head was trashed and a few external ancillary parts.
Rut
I'm sure your correct that I will need many more parts than just the block. I will be tearing into to it more over the next several weeks to see what all is salvable.
Thanks
Out of curiosity, did you have any warning? New build? These kind of stories scare me, as I'm likely to be starting my first very rebuild (MGB) next summer, and have a 1275 to do after that.
No warning. It had less than 2000 miles on it after a rebuild/refresh (at a shop that's no longer in business). I thought the work done was good, so not sure at this point what failed.
I hate to see that, especially after the effort put in on a rebuild. I know I'm creeping up on having to rebuild/replace the 1275 in my Sprite within the next 2 years. I'd be curious to hear what caused the failure, too.
I heard about Mickey Pleasant from Carlsbad CA. That's where I got my 1275 when my 1098 went gunnysack. I think it was only $2000 for a long block. (no starter, or manifold(s)). .. I've had it in for a couple of years and the oil pressure is still 80 psi on start up.. 60 when warmed at idle. .. I couldn't have had mine rebuilt for that..
Update.
Have engine out and completely dissembled. As BlueMax suggested it looks like #3 rod bolts failed or came loose (one nut sitting in pan). The block, oil pan, rod and piston of course are ruined. It also took out the distributor drive as well as the drive gear on cam.
To sim’s question. This happened under normal driving. Just light acceleration up a hill.
With Boink’s help I have a very good lead on a replacement 1275. Hopefully on the path of recovery.
Thanks for everyone’s comments and suggestions.
Gary
Yes, a shame (and particularly with the closure of the former shop that did the work). Sure looks nasty!
See you to pick up the replacement next Saturday (hoping we can hoist it ourselves and that you're satisfied with the "new" one). I'm quite confident you'll be happy with it. We just need to pull off that machined flywheel (for me ), though, honestly, if it's easier to get it to your place and pull it off then, that would be fine too.
[funny how I missed this thread - we were traveling - and then got back in touch via my other thread on 5 speeds!]
Folks just as a reference, I bought one on Mickey's Engines for Bugsy IV. It will be here on Thursday. Shipping from San Diego to Dayton OH via Estes Freight, Delivery to my garage ran $400.
Replacement motor that Boink hooked me up with going in. Was able to do a cold crank of the engine, got good oil pressure and good compression in all cylinders!
Will be continuing with reassembling tomorrow, manifolds, distributor etc. etc…
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.