Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Hey Guest! British Car Forum has been supporting enthusiasts for over 25 years by providing a great place to share our love for British cars. You can support our efforts by upgrading your membership for less than the dues of most car clubs. There are some perks with a member upgrade!
**Upgrade Now** (PS: Upgraded members don't see this banner, nor will you see the Google ads that appear on the site.)
The starter on my 4a was sticking, so I have pulled it and cleaned the starter gears. The Haynes manual says to leave the bendix portion dry, but a mechanic friend says I should oil it. any opinions?
I agree with Andy...no oil or grease, as it will only attract dirt and grit. Having been in the electrical rebuilding business for the last 35 years, I have never seen an OE manufacturer use any type of lubricant on their starter gears.
Oil is the reason it was sticking in the first place.... Unless you enjoy pulling the starter don't oil it. If it makes you feel better put some sort of dry lube on.
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.