• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Looking for Mr. Good-Car

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Thanks. Seems there's almost always a kind of "personal connection" with finding a car. Friend tells about one he knows, another guy see WTB ad, etc. Networking and forums are a huge help!

I'm also interested that you specified exactly what you wanted (e.g. RHD) and it turned up pretty quickly. Some guys tell me "you're too picky - broaden your scope" - but as I'm not in a hurry, I'll just keep a'huntin'.

Thanks!
TM
Target: pre-1960 Mercedes 180D or 190D.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Tom,

Just got back from the Sacramento area,& thought of
you when I saw a Ponton Mercedes along the way (in Woodland,CA).
I didn't stop,as it appears to be too much of a project.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I'm also interested that you specified exactly what you wanted (e.g. RHD) and it turned up pretty quickly. Some guys tell me "you're too picky - broaden your scope" - but as I'm not in a hurry, I'll just keep a'huntin'.

If I've learned anything from my automotive adventure, it's that it is critical to know what you want, and how far from that you are willing to compromise. We don't *need* any of these cars, so there's no real reason to rush other than the normal rushing of years. I'm very specific about what I want (and what I will enjoy, absurdly so as it turns out) so I finally figured out that I'm better off waiting for exactly what I want.

And yes, the networking aspect is key. Not only more eyes on the lookout, but we all feel like we have a stake in someone's success when they're on the hunt. A motivated team working with you.

Waiting for the right thing is good, as is being able to jump when that right thing comes along. With the Bugeye in particular I definitely paid more than most folks would have for the car, but as it was exactly what I wanted (and rare in the USA) I was willing to pay that premium. I've no regrets on that price paid.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag

Thanks!
TM
Target: pre-1960 Mercedes 180D or 190D.

It's worth noting though that Drew was looking for a British Car on a British Forum - and through British Clubs. Hence the suggestion to get connected with a MB or European Car Club.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Thanks J-P. Fortunately I'm connected with several MB clubs, online forums, email lists, etc.

No rest for the weary!

TM

just looking at your "pic" maybe if you didn't sail to club meetings you wouldn't be so weary! :devilgrin:

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
I just happened on this topic, in response to the original post I share your frustration. I have been looking for something interesting and unusual or at least fun, and local offerings are few and far between. Mostly looking on Craigslist. Seems like about half the seller don't even get back to you. I don't get it, you took the time to put up the ad, presumably you want to sell the car, how can you expect to sell it if you don't answer questions about it? I don't know if they are just lazy or don't want people wasting their time.
Do they just expect somebody to offer full ask based on the four dimly lit pictures? Very frustrating.

Sent one guy an email then a text, then a third email each asking a few simple questions then the third starting out with a simple, is the car still for sale, then a few simple questions again. Finally got the cryptic answer "car is still for sale" nothing further, looked like a nice car and a possible deal, but I decided not someone I would want to deal with. Couple of decent guys too, but few and far between.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Sent one guy an email then a text, then a third email each asking a few simple questions then the third starting out with a simple, is the car still for sale, then a few simple questions again. Finally got the cryptic answer "car is still for sale" nothing further, looked like a nice car and a possible deal, but I decided not someone I would want to deal with. Couple of decent guys too, but few and far between.

This part seems to be endemic - I have seen a few vehicles and other things for sale (most recently a small lot of magazines) - and, curiously our local freecycle - where you give away stuff you don`t need - people don`t respond to emails - even when you are ready to buy - and on the freecycle, people express interest then don`t follow up. Not sure if technology makes it all to easy (including not responding)

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Yep - what you guys describe is exactly what happens to me.

And when I finally *do* get a reply, the ridiculous "yeah it's still for sale" with absolutely no other answers or comments - man that's ridiculous and totally puts me off.

Great Caesar's Ghost! This is nuts!

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Yep - what you guys describe is exactly what happens to me.

And when I finally *do* get a reply, the ridiculous "yeah it's still for sale" with absolutely no other answers or comments - man that's ridiculous and totally puts me off.

Great Caesar's Ghost! This is nuts!

This sounds like Perry White :smile:

Didn't know he covered that song...

(Sorry, Tom - couldn't resist!)

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Don't you get the Daily Planet down there? :rolleyes2:

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I know, and it's a cousin of your car... :wink:

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
nah - we're just a suburb of Metropolis.

OK Elliot - what car are Clark and Lois driving?
It was a Healey. As for color, I think Mickey has it right... B&W TV back then.

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold

sail

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
I've probably used up my luck and hope I don't do it again but both of my cars came sight unseen off eBay. Locally we see very few interesting cars so after watching TR's, MG's and Healey's for some time the TR showed up. It was what I wanted, a one owner original car with no rust. It hadn't run for 15 years and I could probably find a better deal now that I know more but still, I finally got my LBC.
Then after watching VW's the Eurovan Camper appeared. I told Lisa I gotta bid on this thing and put in what I thought was a great price figuring I wouldn't get it or if it was junk I could flip it. Won the bid by $.99 and flew to North Carolina the next day.
Both ads were by individuals not dealers and represented the cars in such a way that was clear what it was. The Eurovan was named Shelly, came with everything; pots, pans, plates, tools, CD's, blocks, even a sleeping bag for the way home. They put me up in their guest house when I flew to get it and it was such a good experience we've kept in touch and are stopping to see them when we go to Florida next month.
Good luck with the MB. I was 7 in 1959 and remember well the black sedan with red leather my uncle brought back from Germany. I thought it was cool, my dad was mumbling something about being expensive to fix that I didn't hear.