• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A Long Speedometer Cable for OD Transmission

KVH

Darth Vader
Country flag
I reported earlier that I'd purchased a cable that was too long, and that I had to loop it. Well, I checked the Moss catalogue and what I bought is what they say is for the OD transmission. I don't get it; it's way too long. But my speedometer is bouncing around a 10 MPH range on either side of actual speed, so that loop I made must be causing some binding. I'm curious if anyone has suggestions here. I can't leave large loose areas or that will cause other problems. For example, I need to keep it away from the exhaust. Thanks for whatever advice you may have.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I cannot recall from the earlier post whether you are using an angle drive on the gearbox. My OD has an angle drive and I use the shorter (66") cable - in fact it is the same one I used before I added the OD.

An angle drive combined with the long (96") cable would indeed leave you with a lot of cable to take up in some fashion -- possibly not a successful combination.

If you have the long cable and no angle drive then the routing would be the same as on a TR3 with OD - though I do not have that combination so someone who does will need to explain it.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
IIRC, the 4A could no longer use the side approach through the handbrake boot (for the long cable ala TR3); because the handbrake was moved to the center and hence no boot on the side. A quick peek at the 4A SPC confirms that the LHD OD kit includes a 504948 cable, which is the same as non-OD LHD.

So, accept that the Moss catalog is simply wrong (frustrating, isn't it?) and buy the non-OD cable. You can try returning the wrong one, but don't be surprised if they tell you "No one's ever complained before."

OP
KVH

KVH

Darth Vader
Country flag
Thanks guys. I just realized that to remove the long cable is three hours of work to remove the interior again--can't access the connection. I do have an angle drive BTW. I'm going to get embarrassingly creative.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Thanks guys. I just realized that to remove the long cable is three hours of work to remove the interior again--can't access the connection...

Which is why I have a hole in the tunnel on that side to get at the angle drive and that thing you do to adjust the OD.

Also have a pair of holes on the driver's side for filling the gearbox and servicing the solenoid.

I cut the carpet over the tunnel to allow it to separate under the dash support making it easy to get it out of the way.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Seems like you could make a wide U on the distributor side of the engine without any sharp bends. Just tie it away from the steering column so it can't rub.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
KVH - I think you know what the correct solution is. I know a too-long cable would bug me even if I finagled it into a position where it would work.

OP
KVH

KVH

Darth Vader
Country flag
In the end I managed somehow to slip the cable up over the transmission, then clipped it along the driver's side frame and made a nice easy U hoop up into the firewall. It seems perfect--but now I need to see if it works and stops bouncing my speedo needle around.

OP
KVH

KVH

Darth Vader
Country flag
Which is why I have a hole in the tunnel on that side to get at the angle drive and that thing you do to adjust the OD.

Also have a pair of holes on the driver's side for filling the gearbox and servicing the solenoid.

I cut the carpet over the tunnel to allow it to separate under the dash support making it easy to get it out of the way.

I'm thinking of using a Dremel to cut a hole in the cover, but while still in the car. Any reason I can't do that? I could eye it from underneath, mark it and cut it. I wonder what kind of fasteners I'd use to put a little plate back on. Speed nuts? Sheet metal screws? I also wonder how big a hole I really need.

About the carpet, I'll check, but I believe my pieces will move out of the way without removing the center console (something I really don't want to do all over again).

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I think you should be able to cut a hole in situ. How you close it up depends in part on what your tunnel is made of these days. I just used sheet metal screws and some sealant around the edge of the 'lid'. That black gooey strip stuff I cannot recall the name of.

Shoot, on my other British car someone before me opened up the existing hole (factory, for U-joint Zerk access) to be able to service the angle drive. Nice work, eh?:

TunnelHole1_zps56beec9b.jpg

I cleaned it up to make a neater full hole (tunnel is non-removable) and finished with a cover:

TunnelHole5_zpsae4ca707.jpg