Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Hey Guest! British Car Forum has been supporting enthusiasts for over 25 years by providing a great place to share our love for British cars. You can support our efforts by upgrading your membership for less than the dues of most car clubs. There are some perks with a member upgrade!
**Upgrade Now** (PS: Upgraded members don't see this banner, nor will you see the Google ads that appear on the site.)
Its been a while, but I need to replace my combo switch, and I can't recall how to remove the lock cylinder from the switch. Can someone refresh my memory?
If that is what you mean, you need the key and the lock out of the dash. Remove the mounting nut from the threads and examine the sides of the switch housing. Look for a hole. Put the key in the lock and turn it slowly while looking in the hole. Eventually you should see a small pin, probably brass. Depress that pin with a bent paperclip or similar and then pull the core out of the lock body using the key.
It really depends on when that safety feature came into place...the make it so you need the key to prevent people from hot wiring the car...imagine how easy it would be if you just needed to pop the tumbler out and replace it with your own!
I really don't know when they started doing this, but I imagine it has been for a while...
Well I realize the purpose of the original design but was hoping there was a trick. I imagine a lock smith might be able to use picks or have the few key codes the british used so when I have time and find a smith with time I may just dump a pile of stuff on his bench!
I have never been lucky enough to find the key code numbers on the locks in any of my British cars. However, supposedly if you have those numbers there are locksmiths who can cut you new keys for old locks. I seem to remember one or two sellers on eBay who mentioned they offer the service.
Yes, I have them saved and have had keys cut as to the code. But, like you, I can't see any numbers on the switch tumblers. Had them cut for boot locks and spare ignition by the number on the existing key. Boot [trunk] lock numbers are stamped on the square of the latch handle inside the trunk.
The requirement to have the key to remove the lock cylinder started in the early 1950s. Prior to that, you could remove a nut on the back of the lock and the cylinder would come out.
I can rekey any of the old British car locks. I also have complete "tryout sets" of keys for most of the early codes series, including FP,FA,FS & FR so that I can get the cylinders out or determine the correct codes.
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.