• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Less than a week

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
Just filled up the truck last night for the first half of the trip. Gonna load and strap down the car this week end to the trailer and then back the trailer into the garage so its just hook up and go. Been thinking about a way to protect the windshield. I got an E-mail from someone here warning me about the posibility of a busted windshield while towing.

Country flag
I've almost got the UglyBug ready. I still need to calibrate my fuel gauge (although it is usable as-is), install my top and tonneau, rebuild some sidecutains, install the fresh air tube and defroster tubes, and some other assorted things. However, I finally got the electronic speedo and cruise control to play nice together. Also, I need to put together my spares and tools. I'm sure I won't need them, but somebody else might. :wink:

mccalebr

Jedi Knight
Kim,
I believe the possibility of something hitting the windshield is remote at best; certainly not nearly as possible as when following other traffic in a Spridget.

Most of the gravel and debris your tow vehicle encounters will simply be run over and at most move slightly. If you do get a stone thrown back, the angle will likely cause it to hit the underside of the trailer. To get a stone to arc up at such an angle as to hit the windscreen is quite unlikely.

My experience over the years is that the majority of stones that contacted my vehicle did not come directly from the vehicle in front of me but rather on the second or third bounce. Falling back a bit helps.

Ray

Country flag
I had a rock hit me in the head while driving the midget. It left a big knot on my forehead, but it was certainly less of a headache than replacing the windscreen. :wink:

BTW it was on the third bounce and I really thought it was going to go over me. Next time I'll duck faster.

Atrus

Jedi Warrior
Trevor Jessie said:
I had a rock hit me in the head while driving the midget. It left a big knot on my forehead, but it was certainly less of a headache than replacing the windscreen. :wink:

BTW it was on the third bounce and I really thought it was going to go over me. Next time I'll duck faster.

Good outlook on it. Sacrifice the body! People heal, Spridgets don't. :wink:

OP
regularman

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
mccalebr said:
Kim,
I believe the possibility of something hitting the windshield is remote at best; certainly not nearly as possible as when following other traffic in a Spridget.

Most of the gravel and debris your tow vehicle encounters will simply be run over and at most move slightly. If you do get a stone thrown back, the angle will likely cause it to hit the underside of the trailer. To get a stone to arc up at such an angle as to hit the windscreen is quite unlikely.

My experience over the years is that the majority of stones that contacted my vehicle did not come directly from the vehicle in front of me but rather on the second or third bounce. Falling back a bit helps.

Ray
Oh, yeah. I never tailgate. That is just stupid, you never know what someone in front is going to do or what they are going to run over, or when/where your brakes might fail on any vehicle. Best to leave some following distance and you will get there just as quick. Stay away from big trucks especially, they throw crap all the time.

OP
regularman

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
Trevor Jessie said:

I had a gravel hit me in the face shield once on a motorcycle real hard. Glad I had and always use a full face helmet even with my windshield. The worst I ever had on the bike was a tire weight hit me in the chest, full on. Thought I was shot. It cut me through a leather jacket and a sweater underneath (cold day thankfully), that one hurt me for a loooong time.