• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Leaky Steering Box

Country flag
My BJ8 is leaving a (larger than usual) oil spot on the flattened cardboard box that serves as a disposable drip pan and leak map. It appears to be leaking at the 'cover' (Moss# 667-835), where I know there is a shim pack and, possibly, a gasket. I know throwing Penrite or STP in there might lessen the leak, but I'm wondering why the box would start leaking suddenly at a place that doesn't experience any movement or wear?

Thoughts?

Bobbydsport

Possible temperature change, becoming much colder than usual causing the gasket to shrink up a bit ? A friend of mine from Calf. said they have been experiencing some much colder weather in certain parts of the state.

Bobbyd

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Well Bob:

The adjustment screw in the top does cause some stress to be put on the lid when the steering is used.

As Bobbyd suggested this colder en "L" weather we are having may also contribute to the problem
You might just tighten up on the fasteners a bit and see if it will stop leaking.

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
My BJ8 is leaving a (larger than usual) oil spot on the flattened cardboard box that serves as a disposable drip pan and leak map. It appears to be leaking at the 'cover' (Moss# 667-835), where I know there is a shim pack and, possibly, a gasket. I know throwing Penrite or STP in there might lessen the leak, but I'm wondering why the box would start leaking suddenly at a place that doesn't experience any movement or wear?

Thoughts?

If snugging up the bolts doesn't fix it or if you have to replace the gasket, suggest use of Penrite or John Deere Corn Head grease instead of gear oil, as they'll be less likely to leak. STP not good as it has no lubricating properties.

blueskies

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
If snugging up the bolts doesn't fix it or if you have to replace the gasket, suggest use of Penrite or John Deere Corn Head grease instead of gear oil, as they'll be less likely to leak. STP not good as it has no lubricating properties.

I second that John Deere Corn Head grease suggestion. The great thing is that one can buy it at the John Deere dealer, if one has a JD dealer close by. Getting it into the steering box can be a bit of an issue, as it is quite thick. It comes in a grease tube, so one method is to put one of those long pointy tips on the grease gun and inject it into the steering box through the fill hole. Once it settles, inject a little more.

drambuie

Jedi Warrior
I second that John Deere Corn Head grease suggestion. The great thing is that one can buy it at the John Deere dealer, if one has a JD dealer close by. Getting it into the steering box can be a bit of an issue, as it is quite thick. It comes in a grease tube, so one method is to put one of those long pointy tips on the grease gun and inject it into the steering box through the fill hole. Once it settles, inject a little more.
. Maybe warming it up in the wife's oven a bit may help a little ... Just as long as she doesn't serve it up for your dinner! Just kidding about the suggestion:smile:

blueskies

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
. Maybe warming it up in the wife's oven a bit may help a little ... Just as long as she doesn't serve it up for your dinner! Just kidding about the suggestion:smile:

Hmmm, you might have something there; it is called Corn Head Grease. I wonder if it contains corn? And what's a corn head? No idea.

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag

Scuderia Silva has a good point: when you've got the steering box filled, operate the steering wheel lock-to-lock a couple of times and you'll see the box is only half full.
https://youtu.be/4UwsfMPWuGg

blueskies

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Google it and see. :smile:

Not what I was expecting! Google has this:

images