• Hey Guest!
    Yoda says: A FREE resource for the Little British Car community BCF is. Support us with an account upgrade, not many will (less than 1%) "Require" you to pay to play we don't, but if you find BCF helpful, appreciate no pop up ads, and want to ensure we stay online - Supporting us with an "optional" low-cost member upgrade you should. There are some benefits to upgrading!
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Seeing this UGLY banner, you won't)
Tips
Tips

Lada

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Just returned from some time in Croatia and Bosnia (and elsewhere) and saw my first Lada in person. It's a Russian 4-wheel drive... and this one is the "Riva" model.

Attachments

• 20240518_131937 a Russian Lada Riva.jpg
    20240518_131937 a Russian Lada Riva.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 14
  • rear of Riva.jpg
    rear of Riva.jpg
    465.5 KB · Views: 12
Mark - where was the Lada built? Some of the Czech cars were pretty high quality.
Not sure but I assumed it was Russian. I have a Berlin relative that used one in Norway for 3 years and loved it.

Last edited:
Lada is Russian. They came to Canada for a while - I have driven one and a friend has one. Cool little vehicle and quite solid.

In Canada they are Niva's and this is a Riva (Signet in Canada)

1716381182286.png

(Needless to say they bought Fiat tooling)

They also had a Samara

1716381283126.png

Skoda (Czech) brought the 120/130

1716381348904.png

(I have two versions of the one that got away with this) Rear engined and bonnet opens sideways.

Dacia (Romanian) had the 1410 (Renault)

1716381435443.png

and also Romanian the ARO Jeep - if which I have maybe seen one

1716381490024.png

Oh and Belarus tractors

1716381549728.png

which ran as fast backwards as frontwards. They were very inexpensive I am told and not especially reliable. A friend went on a farmers exchange and was instructed to enquire about the large and unusual hitch they came with. Turns out they were all also designed to tow artillery pieces. (Cold War still) in case of an attack they were to report to the local armory.

Mark - where was the Lada built? Some of the Czech cars were pretty high quality.
In the era of USSR vehicles, most were solidly built as befitted the roads they had to traverse but 'high quality' was not really a phrase you would use to describe any of them. :D

Speaking of cars (from the former Yugoslavia), I only saw one Yugo (in Mostar, Bosnia) and even locals thought it was a pathetic vehicle.

Last edited:
Speaking of cars (from the former Yugoslavia), I only saw one Yugo (in Mostar, Bosnia) and even locals thought it was a pathetic vehicle.
Thank you Malcolm Bricklin. :D