• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Kit is here.....sort of....

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
I wrote here a while ago when I heard that you were importing a Westfield Eleven kit and I have been watching for news of its arrival. Sorry to hear about all the damage. I still want to follow your assembly info when you get to start on a kit that meets your expectations. Remember that QUALITY is defined as "MEETING YOUR REQUIREMENTS" and if what you received is as you describe, it doesn't sound to me to be what your expectations were, therefore it is not QUALITY.

PS - I couldn't find those photos, no matter how much I tried.

Don Elliott, Original Owner, 1958 TR3A, Montreal, Canada

https://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trebor/don3a_big.JPG

OP
Westfield_XI

Westfield_XI

Jedi Warrior
I made a mistake about the pics. they are on the Yahoo Westfield eleven site, but you have to be a registered member to see them. It is worth it though, if you are a fan of these cars. I will soon be posting on my build and there are at least 5 more kits on the way to the USA.

The US importer, Manik LLC, down in Texas took care of the claim for the damaged car and my replacement will be leaving the UK in a day or two. After a slow start due to the Xmas holidays, UPS agreed to all our claims and settled in just over 1 month. Westfield was cool enough to go ahead and build a new chassis and complete body, in advance, so it is there waiting for the go-ahead.

I have been told by no less an authority than the new Managing Director of Westfield that there is a new crating system that will prevent any recurrance of my problems. After all the uproar this situation created I am sure they make sure it is packed right this time.

I have had the kit for nearly 2 months and I must say that I am impressed by the design and also by the build quality: it's not quite on the level of a kit airplane, but it's [censored] close. The UK manual is very sketchy and not too detailed, but the US version is very good. Manik is trying to flesh-out the documentation as they build their own car. The mechanical build is already well covered with clear instructions and photos in the manual and on an accompanying CD. I recieved a wiring diagram today of the new Westfield harness, so they are moving on that front too.

I have put the last 2 months to good use by building the instrument panel and installing the gauges. I also bolted in the suspension front and rear leaving all the hardware finger-tight for quick removal. I will be sending out this chassis and body when I recieve the new one. I hope the car gets built by someone soon. It would be easy to repair the fiberglass and one could live with all the scratches to the underside. In the long run I have probably added 2 new cars to the Westfield registry, not the 1 that I intended....

Camshaft

Jedi Knight
Hope everything works out alright in the end, I would love to see one of these built. This car has been on my list of cars I need to own for a while now.

Camshaft

Jedi Knight
JamesWilson said:
You know we'll all want to see some photos once its put together....

Agreed, my desktop background is getting kind of old... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

OP
Westfield_XI

Westfield_XI

Jedi Warrior
I have just been informed that my new kit will be on the high seas today and will arrive in NYC on the 19th of February. Allowing a couple of weeks for Customs and shipping to Ca. and I hope to have it in early March. I will try to post some pics when it arrives, and will keep everyone informed of my progress via photo updates.

Bob Claffie

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Do you have a figure on the shipping to the US of A or was it included in overall cost without being broken out? Lots of interesting stuff over THERE but I have been put off by the unknown shipping cost. Also, were you exempt from the VAT since you didn't buy the kit in the UK or was that between the distributor and the British government? I've had a yen for the Lotus Sevenish Tiger kit for a few years now, only draw back is the donor is a non-imported Ford. Best of luck, Bob

OP
Westfield_XI

Westfield_XI

Jedi Warrior
The shipping, VAT etc. was included in the total price that I was quoted, so I don't how it would work on a self-imported vehicle. I locked my price in back in August when I paid my deposit but I would not be surprised if there was a price change. As you say, there has been a currency adjustment....

My replacement kit is due to arrive next week: at last notice it was awaiting pick-up for the trip to Ca. having passed through customs. I hope to report back soon.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
We're waiting for info.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I'm sending positive vibes your way, hope this one come through safe and sound.

OP
Westfield_XI

Westfield_XI

Jedi Warrior
You cannot believe how antsy I am getting!! Every morning, it's the same routine: over to the laptop to check out the UPS freight tracker. Still stuck on Feb. 27, no updates since it was released for pick-up in NJ. This happened last time too, no word and then a phone call saying it was here.....

Tom, the US distributor just took his kit around the block for the 1st time last week. Pics and video are on the Manik Technologies site (westfieldeleven.com): just what I needed to pump up my enthusiasm again.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Nothing is worse than waiting for a package to arrive. I remember last year waiting for the DAS truck to ship my wife's truck, that we bought sight unseen 1200 miles away. Their online tracking didn't work, either, so it was calls in every other day. A very anxious time indeed!

Lots of deep breaths for you -- a lesson in patience! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

OP
Westfield_XI

Westfield_XI

Jedi Warrior
I guess so, I just found out it's on some kind of a "hold", probably for TSA inspection....

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Oh joy... nothing can slow down a process quite like government bureaucracy. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

MoPho

Jedi Trainee
Westfield_XI said:
You cannot believe how antsy I am getting!! E

I feel your pain, I've been waiting for my engine to come back for four months now and it will likely be another month or so. It is even more painful since I actually got to drive my car previously, I'm addicted to it! I think about it more than I do my wife.... what's her name again? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

OP
Westfield_XI

Westfield_XI

Jedi Warrior
It's a good thing I'm not on my original schedule: the engine is going to be 3 months late. With the delay this makes it hopefully "just in time delivery" in late March! I won't have the chassis ready before then if it arrives in the next week or so. Who's building your engine? Or are you waiting for a machine shop?

MoPho

Jedi Trainee
Westfield_XI said:
Who's building your engine? Or are you waiting for a machine shop?

I have a shop called AVO West in El Segundo doing the work, they specialize in Elans and Twincams, though some of the work is being farmed out.

We were supposed to test a Westfield XI for a magazine I work with back in January, but apparently the distributer could not get a motor in time for their car either

OP
Westfield_XI

Westfield_XI

Jedi Warrior
I heard about that....the car finally ran last week and should be registered in a few weeks. The engine was the big hold-up, they should have the car completed soon. You can see and hear it run @ westfieldeleven.com.