• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Kickin' an' screamin'...

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
If I'd been more clever in my life's decisions I'd be on one somewhere in the South Pacific right now.

Assuming this cleverness includes our "Mitzi's" (i.e. our wives or mistresses - not both :smile: ) I believe a lot of us could have been more clever. Funny thing about the picture of my daughter; she was enjoying herself so much she forgot to take off her mask. She and I were alone on the boat, obviously no mask needed. Maybe 30 minutes in to our sail, she exclaimed, "I forgot to take off my mask!" (We sail out of a club that owns a fleet of Solings and Sonars, they drive you out to the boat - thus the masks.)

(Not wanting to completely hijack this thread, but I'm reading RLG "Dove" to our kids now. Great story on many levels... happy to start a separate thread if there is interest.)

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Wondered why she had the mask on. Munchkin at th' tiller! Good stuff.

Popeye said:
(Not wanting to completely hijack this thread, but I'm reading RLG "Dove" to our kids now. Great story on many levels... happy to start a separate thread if there is interest.)

Not a problem, Mike. I may have asked sometime before, but: have you read "Tinkerbelle" (Robert Manry's tale of his single-handed crossing of the Atlantic) to them?

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I've a copy here someplace, likely in a box in my attic. Read it decades ago, found it fascinating. One uncle worked for The Plain Dealer and one of my dad's pals taught physics at Case/Western, they were both familiar with Manry's venture and recommended the book to me back in '68. Those were the days when I could put a Sunfish or O'Day Sprite onto the lake and disappear for hours. A neighbor would loan me his Ray Greene Rebel sometimes, too. I could only imagine what Manry went through. Lake Erie can get wicked lumpy in an eyeblink, but nothing like the Big Waters. :wink:

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
And as the first post suggests, finally digitally back in sync. I would do this almost on a yearly basis, usually during the first week in August. Today it was done after a long sabbatical, with the new camera. And the old non-AF 50mm ∱1.4 from my film camera bag. 1/125 @ ∱1.4, focused on me beard...

self2020_2.jpg

Basil

Administrator
Boss
And as the first post suggests, finally digitally back in sync. I would do this almost on a yearly basis, usually during the first week in August. Today it was done after a long sabbatical, with the new camera. And the old non-AF 50mm ∱1.4 from my film camera bag. 1/125 @ ∱1.4, focused on me beard...

View attachment 65990

Back at ya!

NAMI Walks 2017 - Nancy Haseman PP-2 copy.jpg

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Did you solve the 100 ISO problem?

Yes, Greg. See post #18. I'm still not sure what I did to lock it to ISO 100 prior, but it's not a problem now. For the mirror shot above it was set at ISO 400.

And I've pushed the "Fool Button." I've trolled around E-bay and now bought three more lenses. Supposed to get a 10~20mm wide delivered today. Been impressed so far with the sharpness of the zoom lenses as long as the range is somewhat limited. An 18~200 wouldn't be something I'd trust to be both sharp throughout the range and be rugged enough to use constantly. And ∱6.3 as max aperture at 200mm ain't very appealing. I've a manual prime ∱3.0 200 for that. So far, the 18~55 and 18~140 have shown to be quite acceptable as "walkabout" lenses. Time (and images) will tell.

Again I'll say it's the right choice for us to have gone with the smaller sensor DX cameras. Otherwise I'd be looking at the Japanese made, fixed length Nikkor gla$$ and we'd need to be eating Ramen noodles for most of our meals... :wink:

Though I'd very much like to get my paws on one of the fixed-length 35mm ∱1.4's. :devilgrin:

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Yes, Greg. See post #18. I'm still not sure what I did to lock it to ISO 100 prior, but it's not a problem now. For the mirror shot above it was set at ISO 400.
You must have posted that when I was taking one of my many naps.

And I've pushed the "Fool Button." I've trolled around E-bay and now bought three more lenses.
Go big or go home.:welcoming:

Though I'd very much like to get my paws on one of the fixed-length 35mm ∱1.4's. :devilgrin:
Going back to your roots.

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Greg said:
Going back to your roots.

Likely influenced by the photojournalist in me, but where lenses are concerned "faster is better" still holds an attraction.

Basil

Administrator
Boss
[/COLOR]

Likely influenced by the photojournalist in me, but where lenses are concerned "faster is better" still holds an attraction.

Especially if you like to shoot in low light situations without flash. Case in point, when we went to the rodeo a couple years ago, a flash would have been useless. The lighting was horrible, so my only good option was my 135mm Prime shot at f2.0. Even at f2.0, if I wanted to use shutter speed that would come close to stopping the action, I had to jack up the ISO quite a bit (probably 1200-1600).

rodeo1.jpg

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Yup. There are also situations where a flash is prohibited, as well. Fast prime focal length glass is about the only answer. I'm hunting around for a photo of a concert done back in the old days, I'd have been kicked out for using a flash. Back then the technique for getting higher sensitivity on film was done in the darkroom: "Push-processing." Hard to do with the color, 'chrome emulsions, but B&W results were acceptable.

Now it's done "in-camera"! The irony of the term's changing meaning over time tickles me. :grin:

Nice image of the rodeo rider, too.

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Yup. There are also situations where a flash is prohibited, as well. Fast prime focal length glass is about the only answer. I'm hunting around for a photo of a concert done back in the old days, I'd have been kicked out for using a flash. Back then the technique for getting higher sensitivity on film was done in the darkroom: "Push-processing." Hard to do with the color, 'chrome emulsions, but B&W results were acceptable.

Now it's done "in-camera"! The irony of the term's changing meaning over time tickles me. :grin:

Nice image of the rodeo rider, too.

Bright lenses get expensive as focal length gets longer. My 135 f2 is probably the best bargan for a fast/long/prime in the Canon universe. You can find very good used versions for $5-600. Great bang for the buck.

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Basil said:
Bright lenses get expensive as focal length gets longer. My 135 f2 is probably the best bargan for a fast/long/prime in the Canon universe. You can find very good used versions for $5-600. Great bang for the buck.

I've my old 135mm ∱2.0 Soligor and a 200mm ∱3.0 Vivitar Series-1 as primes, both Nikon F-mount glass. And with the DX sensors they're equivalent to (approximately) 200 and 300mm. But require manual control for aperture and focus. No real hardship for me, nearly sixty years of doing things that way. :wink:

Another fixed-length lens is a Vivitar Series-1, a 90mm ∱2.3 macro. DX sends it to a 135mm equivalent. That one made for a really nice portrait lens with full frame. Now fussing with the Nikkor 50mm ∱1.4 for head shots.

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Nice, Greg! IR lends to the 'other-worldly' look. :thumbsup:

EDIT: Meant to ask if you use GIMP as your primary software.

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
I have Gimp but rarely need to use it. Darktable handles most of the chores for the RAW files. I think you can install Raw Therapy to work inside Gimp.

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Just installed it on this CEntOS 7 box. Thanks for the tip. Now I'll have to learn it. Just to have a look I put in the selfie and 'magnified' to 100% on the beard and sweater. No argument WRT lens sharpness!

selfie3.png