• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB keeping mice away from my winter stored MGB

Newkie

Jedi Trainee
I have used dryer sheets the past few yrs, but feel they are more of a wives tale than a deterant. I still have seen sunflower seeds and sort in the engine compartment every yr, but no damage to any of my wires.
Any advice besides the ole putting out mouse traps to keep them away. Otherwise, I will buy a few and rid them the old fashion way.

Newkie

heliguy

Jedi Hopeful
How about a cat?

I use dryer sheets too, and besides keeping the interior smelling fresh, I dont know if it really does much either......

weewillie

Darth Vader
Country flag
I used moth balls and bounce dryer sheets in my wife's vw last winter and it seemed to work ok.No sign or smell of mice. However the car did smell like my granny for a while. A guy with a barn full of vw's put poison in a box under the cars so it would kill them before they even got into them :laugh:

19_again

Jedi Warrior
I get great results with moth balls, everywhere. Glove box, trunk, up behind dash, I also use 1/4 inch screen (hardware cloth)at my exhaust pipe and brillo pads at carb air inlets. The dryer sheets also go in every opening I can find. I do not set out traps because the bait attracts the varmints that I'm trying to chase away. I love to see my neighbor put out his japanese beetle traps, it means I won't have to as he'll be entertaining them all over at his place. I think Tony has some advice on his site about winter storage also.
Mike

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
*SNORK!*

...my kinda guy, Dave.

twigworker

Jedi Trainee
Metal Brillo pads in every orifice, tail pipe, air filter openings, vent holes from foot wells to plenum chamber. yada, yada, mothballs on glass ash trays everywhere else. Add dryer sheets with mothballs if you like.

Cover the cowl air intake and close the big door under the dash.

Check under the hood and over in the fender cavities regularly for varmint signs. Ditto the cavities on the sides of the trunk and under the spare tire.

Check the cabin and the trunk regularly too, looking for signs of the varmints. Obviously, clean out the nests as soon as you see them.

Also, remove everything from the trunk and store the car with it empty, but with moth balls.

If it is a roadster store the car with the top up.

Disconnect the battery ground circuit and sprinkle baking soda all over the batteries and the trays.

Add Stabil to a half empty gas tank and then fill it up to FULL. Run the engine for five minutes or more after adding the Stabil to get it through the entire system

If there is any chance that you think that moisture may be an issue during storage pull the floor mats and any trunk lining and let the metal surfaces breath.

The rest is standard procedure. Lots of oil in the cylinders with a hand turn over, plugs out, every thirty days. Fresh oil and filter too. If you can't remember when it was last done, do a hydraulic system flush and bleed, brakes and clutch. Air up the tires to 35 or 40 PSI. If you can, set the car on shop stands and let the suspension/tires dangle. Plugs back in by three hand turns.

Grease job, including the parking brake cable. Lube all hinges and locks with appropriate lubricant.

Wash, air dry thoroughly and a wax job before covering with a BREATHABLE car cover.

Note taped to the inside of the windshield describing what has been done. This helps the next guy if you get run over by a bus and the wife sells the thing just to get it out of her sight.

The best thing is to NOT store the beast. Just keep on driving it in all except the worst weather or salt on the road.

Jack

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Agree, I try to get Miss Agatha out on a nice day at least weekly.

WA1KWA

Jedi Trainee
Has anyone used one of those big plastic bags designed for car storage? The one that has a small fan running continously built into it.

Colin

Spinal_Tap

WA1KWA said:
Has anyone used one of those big plastic bags designed for car storage? The one that has a small fan running continously built into it.

Colin

I don't have one, but a buddy of mine does for a vintage Porsche. We joke that it's the car-in-a-bubble. He loves it. It keeps airflowing, and helps to keep the humidity constant. Or contant-ish. But the Porsche lives in the "bubble" full time, and only takes it out to idle the engine every month or two.

Me, I think it's overkill for a driver, and a hassle if used just for the winter. It's fine for a trailer queen, or exotic vintage, that doesn't get out much.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Spinal_Tap said:
WA1KWA said:

Colin

I don't have one, but a buddy of mine does for a vintage Porsche. We joke that it's the car-in-a-bubble. He loves it. It keeps airflowing, and helps to keep the humidity constant. Or contant-ish. But the Porsche lives in the "bubble" full time, and only takes it out to idle the engine every month or two.

Me, I think it's overkill for a driver, and a hassle if used just for the winter. It's fine for a trailer queen, or exotic vintage, that doesn't get out much.
I have my '53 TD in one....its great but it you have mice in your garage, they can get into the bubble...the fan blows air into the bubble from one end & the other end has a zippered end that you adjust for the air outflow.

WA1KWA

Jedi Trainee
Tony, your answer sort of speaks to my question. Always wondered about them. I remember an ad a few years ago with a Square Rigger in it.

Bubble Porsche. I like it!

Colin