• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

keeping choke from sliding back in

GlenC

Freshman Member
Hi Guys. I'm the new owner of said cloths peg Healey. For what its worth the cable won't lock by rotating the control handle and slides back in.
Peg still in place. Any other practical fixes suggested?

OP
A
glenc,first off congratulations!im the guy that wrote the first observation of said clothespin,i though it was rather cute,i myself once had been using a small piece of rubber hose,healeys have a tendency to bring out the inventiveness of thier owners, believe me this wasnt the strangest thing we' /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gifll be seeing in ,on, or around these cars,the rest of your car[judging from the ebay picts]looked pretty good,how much work does it need?are you driving it now?etc.i think id just change the cable but keep the pin in the glovey for good luck and memento.hay good luck with your new healy,the adventure has just begun.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Hi Guys. I'm the new owner of said cloths peg Healey. For what its worth the cable won't lock by rotating the control handle and slides back in.
Peg still in place. Any other practical fixes suggested?

[/ QUOTE ]

HiGlenC, Go back and read the options presented in this thread.---Keoke

GlenC

Freshman Member
Hi Anthony and Keoke
I had the car on the road but am not happy with the brakes. For starters the emerg would not release. That was just a case of getting the cable and that bellcrank? by the right rear wheel unseized. There is no "give"on the brake pedal, so I suspect a line blockage. With the rear drums off the rear cylinders are not expanding. ( Blocked line or seized cylinders)The front disks are working. The car is in good shape otherwise. The right side door sill has rust and I suspect the left should have too but its not evident. I've had two mechanics check it out on a lift and it looks solid.
I hope to have the car back on the road in a few days. In Canada you have to jump through some legal hoops before you can get plates
Oh ya! I'm going to get a new choke cable that locks with a twist just to keep you all happy.
Glen /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

GlenC

Freshman Member
Hi Keoke
I'm having trouble visualizing your fix. Hopefully it will become obvious when I pull it apart.
TIA
Glen

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Yep,GlenC But, just pull the center cable out of the sheath do not take the outer sheath out of the dash.On the shaft which contains the knob you will see a groove.A small ball bearing which is retained in the outer sheath rides in that groove in the unlocked position.When the knob is turned Left or right the ball is forced up and wedged between the shaft and the outer housing.Therefore by expanding the shaft slightly you reduce the space the ball has to travel in which creates more friction and the shaft will stay where you put it.-Hope this helps a bit.---Keoke

GregW

Yoda
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
There is no "give"on the brake pedal, so I suspect a line blockage. With the rear drums off the rear cylinders are not expanding. ( Blocked line or seized cylinders)

[/ QUOTE ]
Hi Glen,
If both rear brakes don't work, my first suspect would be the rubber hose by the rear axle where the brake line splits to go to the wheels.
126680-brakeline.jpg

GlenC

Freshman Member
Thanks for the help Greg and the great photo. Going to check the brakes out on Thursday, ( I sense a new thread here?)
Glen

GlenC

Freshman Member
Thanks for the directions Keoke. We now have a locking choke cable. The end of the cloths pin line. (I'll keep it my emergency supplies.)