• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Kansas Turnpike--Technology gone wild!-- (in it's day)

Harold

Bronze
Country flag
The Kansas Turnpike was completed in 1956--There were 19 on/off exits--On a certain day, at 12
noon, local dignitaries stood at each exit to cut the ribbon--except at one exit, where a local farmer blocked the
exit with his tractor because "eminent domain" allowed the hiway department to cut a large "swath" through his back "40",
with no compensation--with no way for him to get to his cows on the other side of the turnpike.--He made a deal--he would move
his tractor--if they would promise to buy the land on one side or the other--which they did 6 months later--
The technology "part" was there was a toll booth attendant at the booth and would give the driver a stamped card indicating
where he got on and the various charges for each of the exits. I'm sure he was quite excited to be part of the new technology,
So he had to be sure to "hold" on to his little card for the next exit, and not let the dog chew it up-
-
The Kansas Turnpike started around Kansas City--past Lawrence (Kansas University-- my school)--past Wichita-down to the Kansas
Oklahoma state line--236 miles. The downside of the turnpike was that it bypassed all the little "one-horse" towns that depended
on the cars passing through for their business income--I remember after the war (late '40'),, diving with my dad and mom, through
one of the little towns, buying sandwiches, and a couple of cokes, turning off on the nearest farm road having a picnic--
It' was a simple life!